What's new

Today September 2021

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
What happened to summer? Suddenly all the heat has gone and it's cold and wet.

I know it will be back once more, but the cool weather makes me think about rides in the autumn already.

I managed two Century rides in August and one other substantial ride that didn't crack the 160.9 km, so I've been a little more active than in June and July. My next brevet is only in October as it has been postponed from September due to the State of Emergency.

Selling the 35 bars?
Most likely no. In case this ends up back on the trainer, they are perfect! I even left the shifter/brake cables in them just in case.
They were a bit rough on the front end when on rougher roads.

My forecast is better than yours. The rain should leave you by tomorrow morning.

A wash out here today, but the sun is back for some intervals tomorrow.

Andy
You pegged it--still gray today (no need for sun block), and cool and nice for riding. Fingers crossed for the same tomorrow and saturday.

Two weeks of rain? What is this...rainy season v2.0???
I am heading to Hakuba after work today. Forecast is gross for out there too, so I am taking the Road Logic instead of a MTB.
If I can sneak in an hour or two of road time, that is better than mucking up the local trails in this mess.
It seems Hakuba has not dried out since rainy season.

I am heading to Hakuba after work today. Forecast is gross for out there too, so I am taking the Road Logic instead of a MTB.
If I can sneak in an hour or two of road time, that is better than mucking up the local trails in this mess.
It seems Hakuba has not dried out since rainy season.
As I recall, rainy season started a bit early, ended pretty much on time, then resumed for a couple weeks. Now it is constant rain for the next 2 weeks. Seriously bummed!

A month to the day after I knackered the screen on my Garmin Edge 1000 by parking it in front of a reflective window, the replacement used part arrived yesterday from China. Screwdriver time!

20210904-100002-garmin-fixing.jpg

A little discoloration around the edges. Hope it works OK.

20210904-101137-garmin-fixing.jpg

A few screws and connectors out and in.

20210904-101255-garmin-fixing.jpg

Having previously replaced the battery and rear case, and now the front case and screen, the processor board is now the only original remaining working part.

20210904-101459-garmin-fixing.jpg

I'm not sure whether transplanting the copper grounding strips will make any difference. They ground the LCD panel to the outer case screws, which don't contact any other metal parts. But what the hell I'll do it while I've got it open.

20210904-102740-garmin-fixing.jpg

And... all is well, even with backlight on full blast. Phew.

Congratulations on the successful transplant, @Half-Fast Mike! I knew you could do it!

When I park my bike outside a shop and don't remove the GPS, I tend to take off my helmet and cover the GPS with that (with the chin straps closed so the helmet can't be knocked off the handle bars). It makes the unit less visible to potential thieves and provides some shade, otherwise I end up with temperature spikes for each conbini stop in the Strava recording.

Quick blast down to Chigasaki today to pick up some beers for a party - a nice 50km round trip along the Sakaigawa, onto the beach / route 30 to the Mine Mart. And wow, what a beer selection. Glad they do takkyubin as there was no way I was getting 15 bottles of beer on my bike or in my shirt. A nice little find and definitely a store I will go to again in the future.
On the way back, the headwinds were strong so my goal of doing 50km in sub 2 hours was no way going to happen. On the way down, I was easily doing 35kph without even trying. On the way back, I was barely doing 25kph and I was pushing. Had to stop for an ice cream to get some energy but the headwinds just kept coming and coming.

Attachments

• mine_1.jpg
    mine_1.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 17
  • mine_2.jpg
    mine_2.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 17
  • mine_3.jpg
    mine_3.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 16
  • mine_4.jpg
    mine_4.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 14
  • mine_5.jpg
    mine_5.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 18
@Half-Fast Mike
You just don't give up, do you? I do not understand your love for your Garmin, but still, looking at your repeated surgeries over the years tells me how much you love it and that alone brings me joy.

I'm glad you could fix it.

did a cheap fix on the head of a topeak joeblow max hpx; it was leaking air whenever i use it. the part in question is this one; unfortunately it is unavailable both in amazon and at rakuten. emailed topeak japan too and they gave me a list of shops that "might" carry it.

did some more investigation and felt the leaking air from the air release valve(?) so decided to superglue it shut to somehow make a seal :) looks like it worked, no more hissing sound when i use the pump.

i could have bought a new pump but didn't want to bin the whole pump because of the one broken part (albeit a very important part). good cheap fix, now hoping for some saddle time tomorrow.

What happened to summer? Suddenly all the heat has gone and it's cold and wet.

I know it will be back once more, but the cool weather makes me think about rides in the autumn already.

I managed two Century rides in August and one other substantial ride that didn't crack the 160.9 km, so I've been a little more active than in June and July. My next brevet is only in October as it has been postponed from September due to the State of Emergency.
That sudden drop fro 35C to 19C always catches me off guard, especially when we get 4 days of gloomy weather, but still a nice relief from the heat. Nice to see the forecast warm up but not to the crazy levels we saw this Summer.

New tyres ordered and bike maintained, time to get back into riding, get some kilometres logged. Looking at more local river rides and exploration to compliment the Arakawa slogs this month.

Hakuba, Naeba, ooh I wanna take ya
Shirouma, Kaikoma, come on pretty mama
I was lucky to see the Beach Boys (or a reincarnation there of) in Naeba. It was raining as always at Fuji Rock but when they came on the clouds parted. If I remember rightly, they were followed by Moby and then New Order who sang a Japanese version of Krafty. I remember the beer tasted good as we went up there after doing a triathlon in the morning. Don't have that kind of stamina these days!

Andy

Back
Top Bottom