Self-repair

crazycavs

Warming-Up
Jun 4, 2012
Adachi
Hello everyone.
This is my first post on this site and I am hoping you can help me. I am a casual cyclist and have been riding around Tokyo for about 5 years. I never had any serious problems with my bike. However, recently I have been experiencing major problems with my gears and chains. When I peddle the chain goes slow and then just pops to the next gear. Which leads to some crazy riding. Something is also clicking on it. So, I am a bit lost on what to do.
Also, I changed a punctured tire and innertube about a year or so ago. When I replaced it I think I damaged the breaks because they are not really doing their job. I know I will probably need to replace these parts as I have had the bike for more than 5 years. But I need to see if anyone can help me do this.
I really have minimal experience doing bike repair.
Is there anyone out there that can offer me some assistance? I can't pay that much but I will treat you to lunch or a few drinks. What ever you decide on.
Let me know.

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
When I pedal the chain goes slow and then just pops to the next gear. Which leads to some crazy riding. Something is also clicking on it. So, I am a bit lost on what to do. ... Also, I changed a punctured tire and innertube about a year or so ago. When I replaced it I think I damaged the brakes because they are not really doing their job.
Bikes are really quite simple machines to maintain, and there is a lot of information on the 'net - youtube videos and tutorials etc. Most important is to keep on top of things, to prevent the clicks from becoming clunks and cracks and crashes.

Remote diagnosis is difficult - especially without knowing anything about the bike except that it doesn't work well.

Probably your gear shift cable is knackered, at least. But it might be that your derailleur hanger is bent.

Send us a bit more information, perhaps with photos, so we at least know what we're dealing with. Please.

e.g.
Make/model
Year
Front/Rear speeds
Make/model of drivetrain switchgear

Oh yes - welcome to TCC. We'll get you sorted out. Help us to help you.

Sep 2, 2009
Hey. Welcome to TCC!

When I peddle the chain goes slow and then just pops to the next gear. Which leads to some crazy riding. Something is also clicking on it. So, I am a bit lost on what to do.
Like Mike said, need more info, but I would hazard a guess that your shifter cables are stretched / mechs need to be tuned in / both of what I just said.

Also, I changed a punctured tire and innertube about a year or so ago. When I replaced it I think I damaged the breaks because they are not really doing their job. I know I will probably need to replace these parts as I have had the bike for more than 5 years. But I need to see if anyone can help me do this.
I really have minimal experience doing bike repair.
Is there anyone out there that can offer me some assistance? I can't pay that much but I will treat you to lunch or a few drinks. What ever you decide on.
Let me know.
Someone will probably give you the answer to this so you can do it for yourself, but we can also come and glug beers / work on your bike too.

Hope that helps.

Owen

kratos34

Warming-Up
Jun 4, 2012
Sagamihara City
Hi carzycavs,

If you would like doing your own repairs from now on, I suggest you buy the Tood Downs book "Bicycle Maintenance and Repair". The details are pretty easy to follow as it has lots of pictures. Plus it covers mtbs and road bikes, including some of the latest components (not the latest latest). And this also entails that you buy your own tools. It's gonna take money, but will be good for you in the long run, should you like to do your repairs. Later you could do your fine tuning yourself as well. I used it when I upgraded my road bike components from Tiagra to Shimano 105, no sweat even with no prior experience with shifters, deraillers, etc.

Try also to look in youtube on what you want to do on your bike. There are tons of video tutorials in it..

Good luck.:)

kpykc

Speeding Up
Jun 13, 2007
Tokyo
Maintenance yourself? Don't be crazy - take it your local bicycle shoppe and ask them to fix it all. Saves you a lot of time :)