What's new

Sekiyado castle / bicycle lane & camping recommendations

Noodles

Cruising
Oct 15, 2019
Hello,

I plan to go from Tokyo to Sekiyado along Edo river. Plan is to ride there by west side and go back by east side;-) If I good see on the map there should be a bicycle lane available all the time?

Also do you have any recommendations about camping in this area? I cannot find anything ;-) Just a good place for tent.

Forsbrook

Maximum Pace
Feb 13, 2008
Just done that ride today.
There is a well paved cycling path on each side of the river.
You will have no problem just popping up a tent anywhere along the river.
I’ve done it many times without a single problem.

paullb

Speeding Up
May 24, 2010
I made a comment on Facebook. There are two Michi-no-eki quite close to the castle ruins.You shouldn't have much trouble sleeping there. One of them even seems to have a covered type space you can hide out of view.
I typically bring earplugs when grabbing a night at a michi-no-eki as you don't really know what noise will be made during the night.

Noodles

Cruising
Oct 15, 2019
Thank you guys for all advices.

For me this is not a problem and I always just set my tent anywhere. However, this time I will ride together with beginner camper ;-)

So real camping place with infrastruce is needed. Sadly there is probably nothing like this. If you have any idea about hostel / hotel / any nice accommodation there I will be greateful :)

Even at apps like Booking/Agoda I cannot find there anything!

Noodles

Cruising
Oct 15, 2019
Depends of the country, in Japan even Airbnb is good. For China better is Trip app.

paullb

Speeding Up
May 24, 2010
I don't think I've ever seen a tent camp site on Booking or Agoda... (not to say they don't exist though...)

Forsbrook

Maximum Pace
Feb 13, 2008
I think there is one(campsite) at Mizumoto Park back in Tokyo if you care to research.

Other than that I would just put up a tent around the Sekiyado Castle area......there are water and toilet facilities available around the clock.

Done it loads of times.

Noodles

Cruising
Oct 15, 2019
Thanks guys, last time I booked hotel but this time I think is time for wild camping ;) However I need to get some more detailed informations.

@Forsbrook
Can you tell me where you usually set a tent for night around Edo river/Sekiyado castle? I mean exactly location where you don't have any problems ;) If possible please send me map marker ;)

Forsbrook

Maximum Pace
Feb 13, 2008
Thanks guys, last time I booked hotel but this time I think is time for wild camping ;) However I need to get some more detailed informations.

@Forsbrook
Can you tell me where you usually set a tent for night around Edo river/Sekiyado castle? I mean exactly location where you don't have any problems ;) If possible please send me map marker ;)
I am not joking.

You can literally set up anywhere around the castle.

If you want to be prudent set up a little away from the castle and wait until dark.

There is also a little island that separates the Edogawa from the Tonegawa that is an awesome spot as well though the bathrooms were removed a couple of years ago.I have seen a couple of Japanese camping there recently.

@Forsbrook
4Q2H+R8Q Goka, Ibaraki

Top Bottom