What's new

Sea of Japan Ride II

Phil Harris

Speeding Up
Nov 9, 2006
Managed to get some good quality time off (tomorrow till 27May!! :D), so, I believe I will finish that ride I started last year that ended in Tottori. Looks like I`ll depart on the 12th or 13th after the rainy weather passes through.

Option one is the Shinkansen to Osaka then a train to Tottori; from there up the SOJ coast then inland to Lake Biwa and on to Yokohama.
or
continue along SOJ to a point near Niigata and turn south to Yokohama
or
North from Yokohama to the SOJ then turn south west along the coast to Tottori and back via Shinkansen.

Anyone who can join up for part of the trip is welcome. Any advice regarding the route to the SOJ from Kanto most welcome - I recall some threads from members having made that trip. I`m planning on 12-13 days on the road.
:bike:

Route Decided

I`ve decide to take the Shinkansen to Niigata, then bike down the coast to Tottori. Will return via Shinkansen from Osaka. I figure 10 days or so on the road. Still pondering whether or not to bring the tent: Google Earth indicates lots of beaches for potential campsites.....:rolleyes:

The coast road south between Niigata and Kashiwazaki is nice. I would recommend a ride over Mt. Yahiko which sits on the coast too. There are two skylines going over the mountain. The one running from the Niigata side is considerably steeper though (8-10% av) .

After Kashiwazaki, the road turns into R8 which is a major trunk road.

Another option would be to go north from Niigata and head for Yamagata / Akita. The coast road is spectacular and a ride up Chokai san is definitely worth it. Lots of camping options too.

Andy

Recommendations

The coast road south between Niigata and Kashiwazaki is nice. I would recommend a ride over Mt. Yahiko which sits on the coast too. There are two skylines going over the mountain. The one running from the Niigata side is considerably steeper though (8-10% av) .

After Kashiwazaki, the road turns into R8 which is a major trunk road.

Another option would be to go north from Niigata and head for Yamagata / Akita. The coast road is spectacular and a ride up Chokai san is definitely worth it. Lots of camping options too.

Andy

Many thanks for the info. Google Earth has become quite an awesome planning tool.

The Akita run north will be next time on the SOJ.

If you end up coming thru Kanazawa, PM me in advance. Also, a loop around the Noto peninsula would be worthwhile, maybe an added 3-4 days for that.

There's one bit of coastline just past Toyama (going towards Niigata) where the alps hit the sea of Japan that is really not good to do on a bike--lots of tunnels and no good alternative roads (from about Tomari to Itoigawa). Bagging your bike and hopping a train for about 20km is the safe way to do it.

Kanazawa

I should make Kanazawa by P.M day two (15May). I`ve checked out that area around Itoigawa on Google Earth - I`ll keep your recommendation in mind.

Anxiuos to hit the road on a voyage of discovery!:bike:

No fixed plan or schedule - I`ll make it up day by day.

Maybe it's too late now but I would prefer going from Tottori to Niigata because the views down to beaches and cliffs will be better. I drove counterclockwise around Noto in 2003 and wished I had gone the other way.

Route

Maybe it's too late now but I would prefer going from Tottori to Niigata because the views down to beaches and cliffs will be better. I drove counterclockwise around Noto in 2003 and wished I had gone the other way.

My plan is to skip Noto Hanto though it looks like it would be a beautiful ride.
Who knows - I might change my mind - no schedule on this run. Tottori is the goal but that can change to somewhere around Biwa Ko.

Niigata

The weather kinda sucks here in Niigata, so I stayed a couple of days. Weather should be good tomorrow so I`ll hit the road.

It`s fookin` cold on the SOJ - like February in Yokohama.

Could've told you that! I did 95km in the hills yesterday and I swear the rain was borderline snow! Yes, weather looks good tomorrow though. High of 17!

A few of us will be climbing Mt Yahiko on Sunday (meeting at the conbini in Teradomari at 8) but I guess you'll be on your way further south by then.

On the way down, Yahiko village is worth checking out (nice shrine and even a Keirin track). In Kashiwazaki there is a nice viewpoint behind "Fisherman's Cape" fish market, with good views of the coast and Mt. Yoneyama.

Enjoy your trip!

Andy

Update

Have had a good time thus far though I`ve decided to cut it short due to weather and a sore achilles tendon:eek:uch:. I`m in Hikone today; took the train here from Kanazawa. I could have endured the tendon but with the rain, wet roads and cars - would not have been a good time. Toured Hikone`s castle today and will return to Yokohama via Shinkansen from Maibara 米原 after which I will provide a full report and upload photos.

Phil, we will have to get together for beers again!

Phil, we will have to get together for beers again!

Careful there, with Phil that could be dangerous...! :D

Phil--thanks for the visit, I enjoyed it a lot. Give a call when you want to do Noto (the best part of this area).

on edit: yes, it was pretty rainy all day today.

((small request: not that she visits this forum, but my daughter said she didn't want any pic of her posted, so maybe if you could edit that pic out (or blur/pixel out her face), she'd appreciate it. (if it was a single pic or pics, I can't remember)))

Careful there, with Phil that could be dangerous...! :D

Phil--thanks for the visit, I enjoyed it a lot. Give a call when you want to do Noto (the best part of this area).

on edit: yes, it was pretty rainy all day today.

((small request: not that she visits this forum, but my daughter said she didn't want any pic of her posted, so maybe if you could edit that pic out (or blur/pixel out her face), she'd appreciate it. (if it was a single pic or pics, I can't remember)))

No worries - I`ll edit the pic.

Once again thanks for the hospitality!

The Party Is Over

Post title are the words from the Wife-Chama upon my return yesterday! ;)

Summary -

Day1 Shinkansen Tokyo Niigata
Day2 Awaiting good weather Niigata
Day3 Hit the road from Niigata - found a beautiful Ryoukan 50kms down the coast - decided to stay.
(external pic below)
Day4 - Behind schedule. 150kms on the SOJ to Asahi-shi Tomaricho 朝日市泊町 - pheasants roamed the streets.
Day5- 100kms to Kanazawa - hooked up with JDD for some brews
Day6- Toured Kanazawa by bike with JDD had dinner with his family
Day7-Weather forecast two days rain followed by two days good weather followed by more rain - enough time and treasure spent inport - train to Hikone toured the castle - rained alll day
Day8- Shinkansen from Maibara to ShinYokohama and home

Will commence uploading images tomorrow - good to be back home after an adventure on the 日本海 - to which I shall return.

Back
Top Bottom