What's new

Scenic day rides

Nick A

Warming-Up
Sep 8, 2019
Hi there

I'm visiting Tokyo for two weeks (14 - 25 October) and I'm looking do some day rides out of Tokyo (preferably weekdays as I'll be doing trips on the weekends). Being totally new to cycling in Tokyo, I'd thought I'd throw some general questions out there and see how I go:
- what are the best rides out of the city from central Tokyo? I've heard that Lake Sagami (via Takaosan) and Lake Tama are the best options? I'm looking for hills, scenic rides, and only modest traffic if possible.
- are there regular bunch rides that leave from central Tokyo? Although I quite like riding solo, it would also be cool to ride with a group and meet some locals / expats. Preferably Monday - Thursday groups if possible. Cheers, Nick

Hi Nic. That usually a nice time of year for cycling. IMO Lake Tama is boring to get to, as the cyclepath there is crossed a thousand times by streets. Once there, I guess it's OK.

If you take a look at the Strava Global Heatmap you can see where Strava users ride the most - the 'white-hot' tramlines along three major rivers with traffic-free cyclepaths. From left to right, these are Tamagawa (east of the city), Arakawa and Edogawa.

There's not much in the way of group rides on weekdays, except very early on a Tuesday morning here in Kawasaki. (Thread is updated regularly.)

Back
Top Bottom