What's new

Ride Sayamako Gravel Grinder - 12/9/2021

djentleman

Maximum Pace
Mar 6, 2021
From the gravel thread: https://tokyocycle.com/threads/anyone-ride-gravel.8795/post-131539

Chill gravel ride along the kurome river and Sayamako on 12th Sept 2021

Something like this - the route is based on a ride from earlier in the year

I'm open to changing the route if anyone has suggestions

Meet at the spaceship (https://goo.gl/maps/noNZToKBvaU2bfSF9) at 8:00 - should hopefully get to Tamako dam before 10
For the way back I've left it open - but I'm thinking of riding back via shibakawa as there is some nice gravel there too

@47no @TheAussieinJapan

Nice route by the way. Think I'll put the Panaracer SK Gravelking wheel set on my Domane that day, as the Fairdale's in need of new tyres soon. Still disable, but maybe not quiet dirt road ok

Sounds good! my vaccine is also 4 days before, but hopefully it will be all good. My plan is to take it very easy on the days leading up to the ride

that tokyo gravel group have made me an admin, so i made an event on there

this is pretty convenient so going forward i'll probably make events on there and post them to the main gravel thread

Nice! Bike is dropped off at Asahi Cycles to fit my new tyres and a few other little maintenance requests.

should have new tyres for the ride, vaccine side effects allowing.
View attachment 32758
By the way I think it was @andywood that said these run wide, he was not kidding.

Not a whole lot of room left between my frame and rear tyre, in fact only a bout 2-3mm each side. Feel fast, feel very spongy & like them so far. Good looking tyre too.

feeling like i've recovered from the vaccine! roll on sunday

Put new bar tape on my Salsa Cowchipper bars, did an average job around the levers but it'll have to do. Just happy to have new tape on as was pretty grungy.

Weather is looking alright tomorrow but after the rain from today will make sure I've got my Asssaver attached to my saddle.

Hoping the wife doesn't pull any bill crap tomorrow telling me I need to stay off the bike for a week after vaccine it'll be 4 days since I got mine so should be ok. Will take it easy.

How are you feeling?
i felt rough on thursday but i'm pretty much back to normal now

also where will you meet tomorrow? spaceship?

Oops thought that was a private message. Haha.
Will take it easy. Have reached an understanding and agreement about the guidance vs risks vs everything else after the vacccine.

Last edited:
I don't think the pace will be super fast tomorrow - i'm also 'recovering', so i don't really want to spend a lot of time out of HRZ 2 haha

just so you know, arakawa has seen a massive downpour this evening and tomorrow morning will probably be pretty wet. at least the usual spots of poor drainage...

just so you know, arakawa has seen a massive downpour this evening and tomorrow morning will probably be pretty wet. at least the usual spots of poor drainage...
Good point that one.
I can see a trip to the car wash on way back to spray bike down.

thanks for the info! I just got a new drivetrain installed so i'm not looking forward to getting it dirty
hopefully tomorrow stays dry!

I'm torn between leaving the mudguards on and risking them causing me trouble on the gravel or take them off and risk a muddy ass/bike...

I'm torn between leaving the mudguards on and risking them causing me trouble on the gravel or take them off and risk a muddy ass/bike...
embrace the mud

feeling like i've recovered from the vaccine! roll on sunday
Most feedback I've heard from people, if they had any issues at all (neither me nor my wife did have any, but it seems to depend a bit on age and Pfizer vs. Moderna), it was just the one day after the vaccination. That was also true for our younger family members.

Back
Top Bottom