What's new

Saturday, September 3rd - Shiraishi & Nihongi Toge

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
As usual, meeting at the Family Mart and heading up the Arakawa. We'll head out and do a climb right next to Shiraishi, pass by Shiraishi Toge to a beautiful descent down Route #11 towards Chichibu. From there we'll climb Nihongi Toge and descend in to Ogawamachi were we'll return by train. See this MAP for the meaty part of the route.

Climbs will be WATT. Currently it looks like John Ikeda-Williams is on board. Please, join us if you can.

INFO:
Meet Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: Family Mart (HERE)
Climbing: 1700-2200m
Distance: 120-140km

Weather forecast is so unreliable these days...

I think the way it works is if you go out for a ride it will rain, if you stay home the sky's will be clear.

Thanks for the update. I am optimistic. Still need to get some spokes in my rear wheel and get the final OK from my wife.

Well despite my optimism, this mornings latest forecast is calling for solid rain from 7am till 2pm. I'm not too bothered by that, but unfortunately, it also calls for excessive wind all day. Due to that, I am canceling today's ride and rescheduling for tomorrow, Sunday.

Pete,
Appreciate your decision.
It is dengerously windy day.
especially group riding.

I let you known by tonight whether I can go tomorrow or not!

Fumiki

Yeah, I know you love that, too.:p
Tim and I had a good preparation ride for tomorrow, in that strong headwind.

I was going to ask you a quick Arakawa ride, but it's downpour of rain outside now...

After Takaaki & Tim headed back for a headwind drill, I decided to go solo anyway. But I didn't go to the route Pete has suggested...partly because I didn't want to risk getting lost in the harsh weather. So I just climbed Shiroishi-toge and came back the same route.

There was a sign saying the road was blocked, but actually it wasn't.
picture.php

I kept going and started to climb, but the road was covered with leaves, twigs and branches. It was so slippery that I had to climb and descend very carefully. I can easily imagine same condition all over the Green line area. As Pete pointed out, this is not an optimal condition for a group ride.
picture.php

Hell, that was fun though (for me)

Eugen

I don't think this mess will be cleaned up today (or sometime very soon), so be extra careful if you go to Green line tomorrow.

Thank you for the report, Eugen! And wow, that 2nd picture speaks volumes!! I'm definitely starting to rethink tomorrow after seeing that.

I gues you'll have to rethink the whole of Autumn.....HTFU for goodness sake wet, windy days make you appreciate the sunny days with a tail wind!

I gues you'll have to rethink the whole of Autumn.....HTFU for goodness sake wet, windy days make you appreciate the sunny days with a tail wind!

LOL... I'm thinking more of the steep technical descents on the specific planned route, but thank you for your input, nonetheless. As they say, discretion is the better part of valor! :p1:

Fatty! :p

Pete: thanks for your thoughtful organizing every time!

Takaaki & Tim: thanks for showing up today, have a great race tomorrow!

Eugen

Back
Top Bottom