What's new

Saturday KT#?

Mike

Maximum Pace
Sep 24, 2007
I was thinking of doing a loop from Uenohara Station up to Tsuru Toge, Yanagisawa Toge, Daibutsu-Toge and Sasago Toge finishing back in Uenohara. It's similar to Lee's one here, but includes Tsuru Toge:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/japan/-japan/175125712363019453

I don't want to do it myself and was hoping for some company as I don't know the roads too well on the other side of Tsuru Toge.

Is anyone interested in this pain fest on Staurday? Was thinking of leaving Uenohara eki at 9am. Does anyone know if they have lockers there? If there are no taker I'll probably do something a bit closer to home:confused:

Deej, I know you and Clay rode this one. Was it a killer? Can I intice you to do it again? I'm also up for alternative routes to Yanagisawa....I think with tsuru toge it might be a bit much.....

Definitely a challenging route. I think you would get close to 4,000m of true metres of climbing (more when measured by a Garmin etc.). The "easiest" way up Yanagisawa is through Okutama valley, from Ome. Your route is the second "easiest".

I'm playing with the idea of joining you, but would ride out from Tokyo, i.e. leaving home around 6am to make it to Uenohara by 9am.

Cheers, Ludwig

Similar route

I did last year - about the same time (April 4). Here's the story :) (Yes, Ludwig...I am aware that the elevation gain figure is "slightly" :p exaggerated )

I think I will do a "redux" of exactly the same course (250 km+) again tomorrow, so I may run into you guys (I am training for the Tokyo-Itoigawa Fast Run next month) ! The downhill from Kamihikawa-toge (Daibosatsu) will be closed to general traffic, meaning paradise for cyclists !

vxf51g.jpg

4lgihj.jpg

307omsn.jpg

On the way up to Kamihikawa (Daibosatsu). If you look carefully, you can spot in the background the meandering "viaducts" between Yanagisawa and Enzan....

Hey Mike,

I'd love to join you, but I can only ride on Sunday this weekend. It'll definitely soften up your legs a bit. Clay and I added a couple small climbs, so we were feeling pretty pooped by the end -- especially me.

The extra climbs were Bijotani-toge (the rindo that comes shortly after Otarumi-toge) and the little half-circle off of 411 that comes as you approach Yanagisawa-toge.

The long descent from Yanagisawa-toge is awesome. Pace yourself and have a great time!

Deej

Ludwig, I'd love your company. If you decide to come perhaps it would be best to meet at Ome station at 9am, and finish at Uenohara as per the map made by Lee?
Tom, you don't fancy joining us? I haven't ridden with you in ages:(

Deej, we gotta ride together sooon buddy:D

Sounds tempting...

I made a full map, starting from and finishing at Uenohara - All up, it's 146km.
http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/jp/uenohara/602127017302390202
The only other problem is that I'm not sure if there are coin-lockers at the station.
If I'm not there, start without me - I'll still be in bed! I'm not sure I'm ready for 3,000m of climbing.
Otherwise, it'll be a long, sore day in the mountains.
Travis

True

it has been ages Mike :eek:uch:. I hate to take the train though so why don't we go for a "chance encounter" :cool: I will be leaving my place around 6:00 so there is a possibility we spot each other on those R411 long straight stretches - bring along your periscope :confused:.

By the way, here are the GPS data of this ride I did exactly 1 year ago (April 4, 2009)

Ludwig, I'd love your company. If you decide to come perhaps it would be best to meet at Ome station at 9am, and finish at Uenohara as per the map made by Lee?
Tom, you don't fancy joining us? I haven't ridden with you in ages:(

Deej, we gotta ride together sooon buddy:D

OK Tom, another option might be to call each other around 12 or something and see if we're close? I'll PM you my keitai number if this interested you. If you're on a solo mission I understand though.

Travis, thanks for making the map, much appreciated. Yeah I think a round loop would suit me best as I want to stash my stuff somewhere. I just spoke to Sergey who used to use this station a bit and according to him in 2009 there were no lockers at Uenohara Station. It's only a rinko I want to put somewhere so I might find a nice bush or something. You were in better form than me last time I saw you, so while difficult this ride should still be doable if we take it easy and pace ourselves like Deej said.

Ludwig, any updates? What do you think you'll do? Travis, how r you feeling mate? Might be a solo run after all?

Ludwig, any updates? What do you think you'll do? Travis, how r you feeling mate? Might be a solo run after all?

Mike, I think I will opt for a ride on my new cyclocross, exploring some new paths. This will be only my third ride with her, and she is still quite jealous of the road bike.:)

Let's try to do something together some time soon.

BTW, I recommend one of those bike bags which you can carry in one of your bottle holders, so you have more freedom where you end your ride.

Hope you will enjoy your ride tomorrow.

Cheers, Ludwig

Sorry...

Sorry Mike,
I just have too much to do this weekend.
I could go, but I'd spend the whole day feeling guilty about not doing "the important stuff".
Next weekend is the same, but I'll finally have some time to ride at the end of the month.
If you're going solo, take a few extra tubes - just in case.
T

How was the ride today Mike? Was kind of expecting/fearing a blue Pinarello whizzing past me as I slowed down near the top of Yanagisawa :D

Here is my ride...

On the lookout but no Tom!

Hi Tom, great report and nice pics too. I kept my eyes peeled but didn't see you anywhere. I'm embarassed to say I forgot my keitai today. How stupid after getting your number....I can't tell you how frustrating that was. As I was climbing Yanagisawa I asked one of the stick men on roadworks duty if he'd seen another foreigner dressed like me and he said he hadn't. I was thinking you must be behind somewhere so I waited at the top of Yanagisawa for a bit longer after lunch hoping you'd roll over the top. I also asked some motorbike riders if they'd seen any riders coming up, and I hate motorbikes so that shows how much I was hoping to meet up with you;) Unfortunately you didn't appear, so I began that exhilirating descent down R411. If it wasn't for the crosswinds going over the bridges I would've gone all out.

What time did you go over Yanagisawa anyway? I arrived pretty much right on 12.

That is one crazy ride, 3800m of climbing over 150km...my legs are like rubber now but damn it was great. Something I hope we can make a TCC ride someday soon. What a day:D

Glad you guys had a good ride.

I went out for a great ride with James, David, Michael H, Yair, Jamie, Bryon, Graham.

Even though suffering from a cold/hayfever?? I managed the climb up Tomin-no-mori from Okutama in 47.21 and that was the last official climb of the day and a total of 174km.

I feel sorry Mike for having kept you on top of a cold Yanagisawa for longer than was needed :( I scaled Yanagisawa some time before 11:00...don't remember the exact time. Did you go all the way down R411 to Enzan ? You mean you skipped Kamihikawa (Daibosatsu) :confused:?? The crosswinds on the viaducts were very nasty indeed...wouldn't like to be blown off the bridge there!

Hi Tom, great report and nice pics too. I kept my eyes peeled but didn't see you anywhere. I'm embarassed to say I forgot my keitai today. How stupid after getting your number....I can't tell you how frustrating that was. As I was climbing Yanagisawa I asked one of the stick men on roadworks duty if he'd seen another foreigner dressed like me and he said he hadn't. I was thinking you must be behind somewhere so I waited at the top of Yanagisawa for a bit longer after lunch hoping you'd roll over the top. I also asked some motorbike riders if they'd seen any riders coming up, and I hate motorbikes so that shows how much I was hoping to meet up with you;) Unfortunately you didn't appear, so I began that exhilirating descent down R411. If it wasn't for the crosswinds going over the bridges I would've gone all out.

What time did you go over Yanagisawa anyway? I arrived pretty much right on 12.

That is one crazy ride, 3800m of climbing over 150km...my legs are like rubber now but damn it was great. Something I hope we can make a TCC ride someday soon. What a day:D

Don't worry Tom, I only waited an extra 10 minutes or so and the sun was out keeping me warm. I just wish I'd had my keitai:(

I did the ride exactly as mapped out by Travis, so including Kamihikawa where I passed by the dam. That was a longer climb than I was expecting, considering the sign said to 大和。。。。making me laugh coz that's where I live, although not that one in Yamanashi:confused:

btw, I noticed a small road that seemed to run along the side of kamihikawa dam and then rejoin 218 again. Have you tried this? I was kind of hoping to get closer so might try it next time.

I hope we can do this ride together someday Tom:bike:

Fareast, sounds like you guys had a good day out too:D And well done on a good time.

p.s I've been having trouble with a buckle in my back wheel and I'd like a good mechanic to have a go at truing it. I took it to my LBS but they didn't do a great job to say the least. Tom, I remember you writing something about a guy who fixed your front derailleur. Is he a mechanic? I need to get this done ASAP. Fareast, how are STAGE 1 with stuff like this? Cheers in advance guys.

Mike,

I would take it to Sagimi Cycles in Mitsukiyo, they are Mavic, Campy and other wheelbuilding specailists.... Hiyoshi-san is awesome and did an amazing job on my carbon SRAM S60's and very cheap as well!

If you are able to leave them for a few days they will redish them for you as well getting them trued both vertical and horizontal

FarEast, that's where I took it before and he said it was very difficult to get it straight. I only gave him a few hours though, so I might try him again:confused: Cheers mate.

p.s. how did you get to Tamagawa yesterday to meet the other guys, by train? We should def try and ride together soon.

btw, I noticed a small road that seemed to run along the side of kamihikawa dam and then rejoin 218 again. Have you tried this? I was kind of hoping to get closer so might try it next time..[/B]

v49g1y.jpg

No, not yet. Looks like there are many other small side-rindos; this one looks particularly inviting as it can be traced down all the way to R218 & R20...at least on the map. Will try doing reconnaissance on the route on my cyclocross first!

Here is yesterdays' entire ride:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/28775336

btw, I noticed a small road that seemed to run along the side of kamihikawa dam and then rejoin 218 again. Have you tried this? I was kind of hoping to get closer so might try it next time.

I tried it once from the other end, because police wouldn't let me climb up to the lake when military helicopters were taking water out of the dam to fight wild fires. It starts as a gravel road - must turn into a paved one at some point, but I don't know where.

Just as Tom, I should try on my cyclocross.

Cheers, Ludwig

Back
Top Bottom