What's new

Saturday July 9th, Pete's Redux Ride

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
<reposted by Tim>

I am happy to hear that despite the plague of punctures that everyone managed to have a good time! With that in mind, I really want to complete this route by skipping Arima Toge and climbing over Yamabushi Toge instead. The front and back of Yamabushi has a pristine road surface with no debris, especially sharp rocks, to speak of. So we'd climb Yamabushi Toge, descend to Chichibu for lunch, climb out of Chichibu via Sadomine Toge (Route 11), from the top traverse to and then descend Shiraishi Toge. Shiraishi Toge is probably my favorite descent, pristine road surface and very technical! Here is the meat of the route I would like to do: ROUTE

So who is up for it this coming weekend? Or the weekend after that?

I'm down for this one, too. And will block the whole day so we can avoid the train hassles.

OK, I guess it's official then, let's have a slightly modified redux! Unlike last week, this route has pristine road surface the whole way! Here is the climbing/rindo part of the route: ROUTE

The plan is to head up the Arakawa, out to and up Yamabushi Toge, descend into Chichibu for lunch, climb up Sadomine Toge (Route #11), cross over to Shiraishi Toge, descend Shiraishi Toge, work our way back to the Arakawa, and then go down the Arakawa back to the starting point. In addition to lunch in Chichibu, breaks will be taken as needed.

INFO:
Meet Time: 6:00am
Meet Place: Family Mart (HERE)
Climbing: 2200-2600m
Distance: 175km

There is plenty of advance notice for this ride, so I hope we'll get a good turnout! If you have any questions, please ask. I look forward to riding with you soon!

I would like to join but will have to work this weekend so it's a no-can-do.

Although I won't be able to make it, I just wanted to add a point regarding that dual carriageway section that featured last week. It's not clear from your map whether you'll be repeating that. However, if I was to repeat the ride, I wouldn't like to go down that section of road again - I really think that if you can cut it out, then overall the route would be very nice. Just my very humble opinion.

Hope you have a good ride.
Lee

Lee, most of the routes I take out to that area do not go that way. Most of the routes involve more bicycle paths and rindos and the few road sections that we do take are uncongested with very little traffic. I only use Highway 463 when doing Yamabushi or Arima Toge, so that was the exception not the rule. That being said, this ride is heading out and up Yamabushi Toge so we'll be using 463 at the beginning of the ride. The rest of the ride is near traffic free.

Please, come out on one of my Green Line rides, you'll be very happy about the traffic free routes out and back, and of course the excellent climbs and rindos!

Pete,Tim

Im sorry,I can't go Saturday.

Im thinking Sunday training instead...
Anyway,have a enjoy and safety ride guys!!

That's fine , Mike - you won't have to go to bed before getting up to ride!

It's getting earlier and earlier. I don't always stop drinking before 6 a.m. :(

Incidentally - I have 2 test bikes availble for this ride. Tentatively Mikio has said 'yes' on the Diablo - but if anyone is really interested in alternate position - or my other bike or wheels, please let me know so I can plan!

My BB is toast and a little scared to ask to go biking two weeks in a row. If I can go, I won't know until the last minute, but I will let you know Friday night. Thanks for organizing.

If you need help to fix it , lemme know. Just replacing cups is pretty trivial - and we can check the surfacing quickly to see if it needs facing.

Been wanting to do the green line rides for a while and I have porch pass from the family. going to try to join this ride. Everyone still getting together at Family mart at hwy 17 and arakawa at 6?

Thanks Pete and Tim for organising this. I think the early start is a great idea and will hopefully mean less traffic on the way! I'd really like to come, but I'll be out of town this weekend. Look forward to riding again with you soon.

Done did

Ouch!!!!

Thank you, Pete, Tim, Todor, Mikio.

I got 187.5 km. http://ridewithgps.com/trips/307413

Took several breaks during the 52km slog home from where we parted. The Iruma/Tokorozawa section was particularly crowded and unpleasant. But the downhill prior to that was priceless. :):):)

finaldownhill.jpg

And the first beer after arriving home tastes soooo good. :beer1:

Great ride today! We were really suffering as well after we left you Mike! And yes, descending Shiraishi Toge is definitely one of my favorites if not my favorite!!

I ended up with just over 200km and 1700m of climbing.
Here's my data: RideWithGPS

Back
Top Bottom