What's new

Saturday, July 2nd - Arima Toge/Chichibu/Shiraishi Toge

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
This is going to be a pretty big ride with plenty of distance and plenty of climbing! It'd be nice if we can get a big group going. At this point, Tim Smith, Steve Tallon and Takaaki-san have told me they'll be joining this ride.

The plan is to head up the Arakawa, out to and up Arima Toge, descend into Chichibu for lunch, climb up Route #11, cross over to Shiraishi Toge, descend Shiraishi Toge, work our way back to the Arakawa, and then go down the Arakawa back to the starting point. In addition to lunch in Chichibu, breaks will be taken as needed. If you haven't climbed Arima Toge or descended Shiraishi Toge yet, you are in for a real treat!

INFO:
Meet Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: Family Mart (HERE)
Route: (HERE)
Climbing: 2200-2600m
Distance: 188km

There is plenty of advance notice for this ride, so I hope we'll get a good turnout! If you have any questions, please ask. I look forward to riding with you soon!

I'm down for this! Finally we can challenge the Arima fully! Remember your bear bells, everyone!

Thanks very much for organising this Pete - looks good. Please count me in.

Lee

I'm glad to see all the enthusiasm! As long as the weather cooperates, I think this is going to be a whole lot of fun!!

Tim, you and I have done the front side together once, now we'll get a chance to see the Chichibu side!!

Unfortunately...

I'll be out of the country.
My plane actually arrives back in Narita that very morning - Not really enough time to get ready though.
Will definitely try for the next one. Have a great ride.
T

That's too bad Travis. I was hoping you were going to be able to join us! Where are you going, BTW?

Ahh... I just saw on FB that you are going to Australia. Have fun!!

Don't worry the weather. Even if its raining lets roll. The temp is in our favor! I really wanna see that backside route. I'm tempted to load for Gators , though, if we need to traverse the 5km of gravel again.

@Tim - LOL, no we won't have to do any gravel on this one. That part was past the toge in the wrong direction. Never again! :D

Regarding the weather, as long as it's not a torrential shower first thing in the morning, then I am definitely in! :bike:

By the way - if anyone wants to testride some 38mm carbon 'rouleurs' especially for this ride, let me know. Meet at my house a few minutes before and we can swap out your casette. They are fitted with Conti tubulars and the same wheelset that Laurent Depus rode 400km on the Paris to London brevet. Only 1300gr the pair. And the tires are about 215gr / ea.

I'll leave by 6.15-6.30 to make the Family Mart by 7.00 It's right on the route, btw, cause I live just off Okubo Dori and less than 3min from Yamete Dori.

I am so stoked for this ride.

Hey, is anyone starting around Futako Tamagawa? I think it would be best for me to meet around the 17mi mark on the map, where the route is crossed by route 16. If someone else wanted to ride out to that point with me, I would feel a little more confident about being able to find the rest of the group. If no one replys, I might ride the additional 17 miles to the Family Mart and then go back, but in the back of my mind, that seems a little senseless that early in the morning before a big ride. I was thinking of starting in Futako Shinchi, crossing over at Noborito, then following the river to route 16 and meeting up with the gang there.

to mr.ikedawilliams,
I live in shin maruko,8km down from Futako Tamagawa.and i will join this tommorw.
So,what about rendezvous at the edge of the bridge Futako Tamagawa station,around 5:30?
sorry about my poor English capability...but I also try to find buddy tommorw before the mass start.
You have facebook acount,right?
I send a friend request and private message to you for contact.

John & Fumiki,

OK, we'll meet you at the point where Route #16 crosses Route #463, (HERE). I need to check with RideWithGPS which is temporarily down for maintenance, but I believe we'll be there at about 8:25-8:40. I'll send my phone number to you both via FaceBook.

Additionally regarding the weather, it's looking like there are couple of possible short showers in the morning, but other than that, all good! I'd say we are all systems go!!I

Pete,

Lee and myself will be waiting at the usual place on the arakawa a few km from your start - will be there by 7:10.

Cheers!
Steve

Back
Top Bottom