What's new

Saturday, February 18th - Arakawa to Takao #2

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
Similar route to the one that Alan, Naomi, Eugen and I did last week, minimal traffic and plenty of rolling hills and minor climbs. We'll make two conbini stops, the first at 55.5km (Mini-Stop) and the second at 89.5 (Family Mart). Perhaps we'll do lunch again in Takao.

INFO:
Meet Time: 8:00am
Route: (ROUTE)
Meet Place: Family Mart (HERE)
Distance: 123km
Climbing: 1600-1800m

Please, note that while it's definitely not full speed, we are moving out of the LSD rides and picking up the intensity a bit.

Will also be riding through Moroyama tomorrow morning (between 10~11 am) but from the opposite side heading northward to Gunma...I'll keep an eye open for Pete's train...:cool:

Hey Pete, just a quick question. What kind of pace where you thinking? (in kph)

Hey Pete, just a quick question. What kind of pace where you thinking? (in kph)

Last week's moving average was just a little over 24kph. On the flats a bit higher and on the climbs a bit lower. At the moment it looks like it's just Takaaki and me, we don't have to go at a breakneck speed. There is some flexibility if you'd like to join us.

Sorry I can't join you this time...
Hope you'll enjoy the wind along Arakawa:p

I think I have to go for another "midnight ride" tonight to make up for no-cycling weekend.

Pete,
Hope to join you for this ride. Will confirm later.
AW.

OK, cool. I look forward to hearing from you later. Hopefully you can make it.

Sorry I can't join you this time...
Hope you'll enjoy the wind along Arakawa:p

I think I have to go for another "midnight ride" tonight to make up for no-cycling weekend.

Sorry to hear that, Eugen, you'll be missed! :(

Last week's moving average was just a little over 24kph. On the flats a bit higher and on the climbs a bit lower. At the moment it looks like it's just Takaaki and me, we don't have to go at a breakneck speed. There is some flexibility if you'd like to join us.

I tend to cruise at between 28-30kph on mid-long distance solo rides, but riding with other people is always more pleasant. I will figure out if the schedule works for me and let you guys know sometime tonight! I really gotta get out on more long rides :)

I tend to cruise at between 28-30kph on mid-long distance solo rides, but riding with other people is always more pleasant. I will figure out if the schedule works for me and let you guys know sometime tonight! I really gotta get out on more long rides :)

It sounds like you should be fine. Please, join us of you can!

Although as I just posted that, I noticed it's snowing pretty good out at the moment. We need to keep an eye on the weather tonight for potential ice in the morning. :rain:

OK, snow has stopped here. I'm optimistic about tomorrow. See you all in the morning, unless some really bad weather settles in between now and then. :)

It looks like I will not have enough time for a long ride tomorrow, but I hope to get out on a ride with you guys sometime soon. Have a good one tomorrow!

So I've got a pretty good dusting of snow on my terrace here at my place. Because of last night's wet snow, the temperature hovering just below zero through the night, and the forecast continued low temps through the day, I'm concerned about the possibility of ice on the road. Based upon that, I am not joining the ride today.

That being said, I just spoke to Takaaki and he is forging forward and is still heading to the meeting point. Additionally, I haven't heard any cancellation from Alan or Naomi. To those who proceed with the ride, please, be careful and have fun!

Pete, you should have joined us! We modified the route a bit - headed north up the Arakawa cycling road then curved over to the Irumagawa path. Return the same way except we kept going all the way to Kasai Rinkai Park at the mouth of the Arakawa. No snow/ice except for the most southerly section (which is weird).
Headwind going north was worse than last week! Coming back down was a blast though. Ended up with 160km on the clock.

Hope to see you next time.
AW.

Back
Top Bottom