What's new

Saturday, August 14th - Chichibu Direction

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
This Saturday I'll be heading up the Arakawa and out towards Chichibu to do some climbing in the area just before Chichibu. I've been cycling in that area twice thus far and have really enjoyed it both times. Additionally getting there isn't bad at all as it's only 55km away and the majority of the ride is along the river and not on highways. Expect a moderate pace with stops as needed depending on the heat.

Route description: From Sugamo Station, ride up Route 17 to the Arakawa, up the Arakawa to Route 16 (becomes Route 15) follow that out to the mountains. To the base of the first mountainous area is only about 55km. Expect 35-40 kilometers in the mountains and a round trip to Tokyo totaling 150km or so. Here is the planned route: http://www.mapmyride.com/route/jp/tokyo/741128162013633138

Meet: Sugamo Station (Yamanote Line)
When: Sunday, August 1st @ 7:45am (7:50 roll-out)

As of now, two people are committed to the ride, Owen from the boards here and my friend, Tim G. who will be breaking in his new Ibis and has yet to become part of the TCC community. Also, Tim Smith will potentially be joining us. It'll be a fun and challenging ride and I hope we'll get a few more takers!

I'll be Sugamo Station (Yamanote Line) at 7:40am and will be rolling-out at 7:50am.

Alright if I meet you at the same spot again?

SUNKUS combini on 16?

9.30am OK for you?

>To anyone else thinking about this; come along! You can't be slower / more unfit than me, and the descents are great!

Pete, thanks for posting and I'm very interested in this ride as I've never ridden in Chichibu. Right now I'm still in Vancouver time and getting up late every day so I'm not sure if I CAN make it so early especially as the start is miles from my place.

Just a couple of quick questions. Are there lockers at Sugamo station? What exit do I need to come out?

If you can PM your number that'd be nice Pete. I'll Pm you in the morning to let you know if I'm coming....as I said I aint to good in the early morning.

Mike, I sent it to you last night. Did you not receive it? I'll try again.

I am no fan of early mornings either, but... it's the only way to get a proper full day of riding in! :D

A 7:50 start is not early... I'll join you guys too if I may. In need of a cool-down, after a lot of climbing today.

How about heading straight to the Arakawa to avoid some of the big roads? And if you are interested, I can also show you the way along the Iruma Cycling Path, so no need to go onto roads near Kawagoe. Not quite as straight as the roads, but maybe more fun. And lastly, I'm happy to lead anyone back home via the Tamagawa, for a change.

See you tomorrow, Ludwig

A 7:50 start is not early... I'll join you guys too if I may. In need of a cool-down, after a lot of climbing today.

How about heading straight to the Arakawa to avoid some of the big roads? And if you are interested, I can also show you the way along the Iruma Cycling Path, so no need to go onto roads near Kawagoe. Not quite as straight as the roads, but maybe more fun. And lastly, I'm happy to lead anyone back home via the Tamagawa, for a change.

See you tomorrow, Ludwig

It is when you're coming from my place:mad: And I hope you all don't take Ludwig up on his offer of going home via the Tamagawa. I don't reckon I'll be able to find my way back to the start point otherwise! I'm gonna stash my clothes into a locker coz I don't wanna wear gay spandex on the train! I've done that one to many times and am fed up with the stares...ahhhhh

Ludwig, it would be great to have you join us! And, we'll be taking a very direct route to the Arakawa and up from there. Route 16/15 out to the mountains is a pretty comfortable (good roads) ride, but if you know a better way, I am open to it. As for the return, while I enjoy the Tamagawa, the Arakawa will better for me on this ride.

I hope to see you tomorrow morning!

Thanks for organising the ride Pete and it was nice meeting Tim and Scott. Sorry to leave you guys halfway and Tim I hope you're OK mate, those cramps certainly looked painful. In the end Ludwig and I did around 180km and I have to say, Chichibu is certainly a scenic place. Must be lovely when the weather is fine.

Cheers Mike. It was great having you and Ludwig along! And no worries. I'm looking forward to next time!

As an update, Tim somehow pulled it back to together, gutted it out, and made it to the top! We ended up with a total of 160km. I'll try to post some photos later today.

BTW, we found an amazing soba place at the top along the ridgeline. It was perhaps the best soba I've ever eaten.

Cheers Mike. It was great having you and Ludwig along! And no worries. I'm looking forward to next time!

As an update, Tim somehow pulled it back to together, gutted it out, and made it to the top! We ended up with a total of 160km. I'll try to post some photos later today.

BTW, we found an amazing soba place at the top along the ridgeline. It was perhaps the best soba I've ever eaten.

We had lunch at the same place! Must've just missed you guys;)

Thanks

Glad to hear everything worked out fine. I was a bit worried when we realised the top of that climb was elevation 780m, so still quite a bit to climb from the point where we left you.

We continued as planned: up and down along the Green Line to Karibazaka Toge, then down and across the 299 tunnel entrance and up again to Shomaru Toge where we had lunch. Different from your place, which is half way on the way down the Green Line towards Hanno - must visit it another time.

Then we paid our respects to the organizer of the ride who we had deserted by riding over Yamabushi Toge, down by the Holy Fountain and over Ozawa Toge and a few other smaller climbs into Ome and straight to the famous Aurore Bakery.

Mike wanted to take it easy along the Tamagawa, and initially I obliged, until some fast looking guy on a Specialized but without helmet passed us at the water spot just below the Fussa brewery. From there on the race was on! I was surprised how much energy I could still muster after the hard ride a day before (3,600m of climbing over 160km) and by then another 130km and 1,500m of climbing in my legs. Mike was reluctant to follow. We still managed to out-sprint him at a spot where he decided to take one of Tom's detours away from the Tamagawa which I knew would not make him any faster.

But just before Sekidobashi he appeared again, determined to show us that he was faster. We denied him drafting us and made him rotate, which exhausted him quickly, so Mike grabbed the chance to pull away while I kept drafting him, sailing away the moment it was clear he was at his peak. We never saw him again.

Here is the GPS track of the ride (I took Mike up to the Meiji Dori - Omotesando crossing and then returned home which we had passed earlier, while Mike cycled back to Sugamo station):

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/jp/kanto/899128179084538990

Pete, thanks again for organizing the ride and letting me experience what it is like following the Arakawa always on the left side (normally we switch over to the right to go through parks and fields and avoid any roads), the short-cut through busy Kawagoe, the short climb up Yokobuki Toge and what was actually my first time approaching Higashi-Chichibu from, well, higashi.

Tim and Scott, it was nice to meet you. I hope to see you all again soon.

And Mike, thanks for riding all the way with me.

Ludwig

Thanks!

Thanks for a fantastic day of riding, guys. Peter, thanks for organizing it and sharing some technique tips along the way. Got a question for you: Did you ever even break a sweat? Tim, you're a trooper. I'm still in awe that you decided to continue and DID IT! Mike, enjoyed your great sense of humor. Ludwig, thanks for being co-navigator, and I'll call you next time I need a truck driver chewed out. Glad to know you all made it home safely.

Just after splitting off in Kawagoe at about 4:30, I remembered I had been invited to dinner at the home of friends at 5:00. Oops! A quick call, another 21 km, a fast shower, a stop for a couple bottles of wine, and I was there by 6:15--craving carbs. They had Italian. Yes! Got home at 10:30 dog-tired and stiff but happy.

Looking forward to the next time!

Scott

Pete..... Tim looks very angry and tense..... he needs to loosen up and relax.......maybe then the cramps won't get him:D

Scott, it was my pleasure. I'm glad you enjoyed it. And thank you for the kind words, you seemed pretty comfortable yourself!

Also, yeah Ludwig was my hero when he faced off with the truck driver that damn near killed me! Thank you again Ludwig!

Pete..... Tim looks very angry and tense..... he needs to loosen up and relax.......maybe then the cramps won't get him:D

LOL... there's actually some truth in that, not the angry part, but the tense part. It was his first "big" ride and a seemingly endless climb was looming in front of him. Going hand in hand with that is that he didn't really have the experience to know how to manage the suffering that comes with pushing oneself. That being said, I was sincerely impressed and amazed that he was not only willing to forge on, but that he actually made it and completed the climb and the rest of the ride! I have no doubt he'll be stronger, more capable and more confident next time.

Back
Top Bottom