What's new

Ride Saturday 9/21: Tama-Wada-Tomin-Okutama loop

sean-e

Maximum Pace
Mar 4, 2019
Late notice, but am planning to go on a little loop up the Tama into the mountains and back again on Saturday morning before the rain moves in. Well, weather currently looks clear but have been told I may be some sort of 雨神, so bringing a rainjacket is advised.

Feel free to join for just a part of the ride depending on schedule / rain.

Start: Cross coffee (on the Tama) 7:00am
End: Cross coffee early afternoon?
Pace: moderate? wait at the top of wada/tomin.

Hi Sean,

Finally back to Japan, and ready to ride again. Your plan is to do the full course??
I might join but not full course as i need to go back before afternoon? Hopefully see u there at..

Thanks,

Welcome back @Mfebrian ! If you need to get back before afternoon, I would recommend splitting up at kilometer 65 and turning east onto rt. 33. This will take you back to Musashi-Itsukaichi station, from there you could take the train back to middle of Tokyo.

Too much uphill, that's like 10,000 feet! Not in your league and probably never will be. Looks like an amazing ride though

Welcome back @Mfebrian ! If you need to get back before afternoon, I would recommend splitting up at kilometer 65 and turning east onto rt. 33. This will take you back to Musashi-Itsukaichi station, from there you could take the train back to middle of Tokyo.

Looks like that would be 82km and 1,900m climbing.

I think it might kill me but I am tempted.

EDIT:: Is it gravel or raod bike suitable?

Looks like that would be 82km and 1,900m climbing.

I think it might kill me but I am tempted.

EDIT:: Is it gravel or raod bike suitable?

Ride with GPS is overestimating I think! Its not that bad. Come along!

Paved roads only, so road bikes are a-ok.

@sean-e
Thanks for posting up the ride. I've got my daughter's sports day tomorrow; otherwise, I'd be up for this one. Looks like the weather is going to be alright tomorrow, too.

@MattRyuu
Don't sell yourself short, mate. Just keep hitting that trainer, whilst getting a bit more experience out in the mountains, and you'd do that ride by next spring (if not sooner).

@MattRyuu you could consider the shorter route. I will do that and not the longer 164km one.

I think I will come along, just trying to work out how to get to the meeting point for 7am :merde:

@OPPL200 I will consider that in the future but not tomorrow unfortunately. Hope you guys have a blast. Post some ride pics if you get a chance.

@stu_kawagoe I keep plugging away. The trainer is a lot of fun and FTP is going up little by little. There are a few 12% grades in Watopia or New York on Zwift that feel just like the Green Line

Cool, I'll be the guy in a gray Enigma jersey in front of Cross Coffee, hope to see you guys then.

Good ride with @OPPL200 and @Mfebrian today. Set out from the Tama and for once I didn't take us to a dead end. Few raindrops early on but didn't materialize into serious rain. Wada-toge from the east remains silly steep (to quote Ollie, "Wada hell was that?"). Sadly the Wada concessions stand was closed today at the top, no cola for me :( Descending westward there was some debris on the road but it was passable. I underestimated the climb from Wada to the Tomin juncture, I thought I hadn't been on it before but on the way up I recalled this memory of suffering there behind Darragh's wheel in the rain... We made it to the ~65km point where I turned left towards Tomin and they returned via Musashi-Itsukaichi (I hope! Sorry if you were late!).

Not many cyclists out on the road over Tomin and down Okutama, but it was a pretty chill day with the clouds, down to 13C at the top. Descended down with lots of fun junk miles to pad the day out back. Something satisfying about starting and stopping a long ride from your front door.

IMG_1131.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg
IMG_1133.jpg

Back
Top Bottom