What's new

Ride Saturday 8th August - Hinohara & Iriyama Toge

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Tomorrow morning will be taking a route to Musashi Itsukaishi that stays off the main roads, riding past Hinohara Village, then back to KOM Iriyama Toge from the north. Iriyama will be WATT and speed will be 30 kmph+ on the flats. Passing by the Lawson at Yanokuchi at 6:30 am. If you're interested in joining post below.
Route

Last edited:
Nice route.

I believe that's Iriyama-tōge 入山峠いりやまとうげ標高585m

I really like that road. There might be some Saturday traffic as far as the quarry, but after that it's beautiful, and the views on the traverse before the descent gets going proper can be joyous.

However, I am going off-road with @hat and beard et al. tomorrow. Another time, Okutama!

Little too early for me, but the climb up to Iriyama is great (once you get past the quarry).
Going through the gate at the top leads to an as yet unfinished road with some great views, too.

Watch out a little on the descent off Iriyama - I did it a few weeks back and their had been a rock slide so there were loads of jagged little rocks in the road.

Easily avoidable but will just reduce descending speed a touch.

No can do mate. I'm at the inlaws this weekend.

Current plan is cycling there today (around 30km endurance miles) then power intervals down by the coast at Yokosuka tomorrow (with additional endurance miles).

Then two days well deserved rest before Tuesday's 'endurance miles' (you and I both know that's not true...).

Cloud cover saved us from the sun for the most part today. Tuomas put in some great work keeping up with me, until we got to Iriyama Toge which, as promised, I KOMed. The Akigawa route to Musashi Itsukaichi is also a MASSIVE improvement over the Tamagawa and Route 7. A couple of stretches of gravel but other than that some very pleasant riding. Will make getting out West much easier. And the selfies.

The reason we do.
DSCN0625.JPG
Ironically unironic photo.
DSCN0631.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you @GrantT for a great ride. I have to agree the Akigawa route was spectacular compared to those parts of Tamagawa. Mostly good conditioned roads with minimum traffic.

Overall, even though Iriyama Toge was tough, it was the heat that got me at the end. (what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?)

Back
Top Bottom