What's new

Ride Saturday 8/31: Ome to Kitaokusenjodake

sean-e

Maximum Pace
Mar 4, 2019
One for the fit and the foolish... Al posted a similar route a while back but it got rain cancelled, am planning on attempting it this weekend. Saturday looked a bit better weather wise.

Start: Ome station @7:15
End: Enzan station sometime in late afternoon (I hope)

Involves one moderate climb into Enzan and then one giant climb to Mt. Kitaokusenjo. Planning on hiking up to the peak from the top of the road climbing part (~1km hike but not a lot of elevation gain from parking lot to the peak at 2600 meters).

Pace will be moderate but can't wait that long at the first climb. Can refuel near Enzan before the second climb (WATT).

Post or private message if interested.

I've done a similar thing couple of years back, just start and finish in Enzan. Definitely worth adding the hike part, as long as the weather is OK.

I'll probably be doing a gravel ride starting from Ome around 8ish. Couple of us think of connecting up to Chichibu via some dirt roads, and even partly through the no-road forest (several hundred meters only, but kinda adventure)

1567077835049.jpeg

I'm more in an on-road mood this week and this route I've been itching to try for a while... will try to make it out for a gravel ride another time!

I am intrigued but won't be able to join.
Calling the climb into Enzan moderate is an understatement - I always overcook it in the lower gradiant approach.
Regarding Kitaokusenjo I think the approach via 206 (strawberry line) is nicer. While you do connect back after the dam, there generally is way less if any traffic and more shade and a stream for lower temps. There are some steeper and rougher pavement sections though.

did you make it up there in the end? and down from there? any pics? we cursed to remain in the lowlands crave some 2nd hand adventure

Yes! Total ascent: 3600m according to the garmin, including the 300m hike. I will sleep well tonight. Route report:

Went out solo from Ome, having failed to recruit fellow crazies. Rt 411 from Okutama to Kofu was devoid of cyclists - weird, beause I found this road less trafficy than the similarly sized Tomin-no-mori nearby, and the surface was in really good condition. On the first climb up to ~1400m, main goal was to save energy for The Big One later.

IMG_0950.JPG

Descending rt 411 westbound was really pleasant, wide turns with good visibility and some cool aerial bridge loops, no cars blocking me on the way down. Alas, upon reaching the bottom I realized I was back to 500 meters elevation before the next climb...

The valley was full of grapes, I followed the 'Fruit Line' road for a bit. In retrospect, it would have been wise to buy extra water near Kofu since I didnt see any vending machines afterwards until the top of Kitaokusenjodake.

IMG_0959.JPG

Also regretted not bringing coins to buy roadside grapes. Will return to rectify this another day.
IMG_0961.JPG

Left town and headed north onto the Crystal Line, my first time on this route. Oof! The beginning and end had brutally long sections around 10%. My initial goal was to ride tempo the whole time, I think it turned into whatever it took not to go backwards. The middle section allowed for some recovery with a flat ridge around 1500 meters before it kicked again to the top of the paved road at 2300m.

Legs were toast at this point but figured it would be a shame not to go to the peak. Wasn't that cold at the top 2600m point, but the clouds moved in denying me a selfie with Fujisan.

IMG_0981.JPG

At the summit, offered my (cheapo) helm to the mountain gods:

IMG_0978.JPG

There was a camping restaurant/hut thing just off the hiking trail that sold the cheapest mountain top cola I've seen so far in Japan. 300 yen is a bargain! I paid twice that at the top of Tanzawa-san...

The descent was a little sketchy due to the drainage grates not being flush with the pavement in many places, but those who enjoy switchbacks and bunny hopping for 25 kilometers may find it of interest. The final bit into town is however amazingly straight, shame there was a construction crew in the middle blocking my speed record attempt.

IMG_0984.JPG

Good time overall, and longest climb I've tried in Japan so far. Would definitely return to Yamanashi and try some other routes like the strawberry line @Gunjira mentioned.

yes, I love to do odarumi once or twice a year. it's a great alpine quality climb, with surprisingly little traffic. if I were in west tokyo I guess I'd go more often. a really great climb. this is what you missed BTW, but can't be helped eh.

IMG_20171103_132735_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom