What's new

Ride Saturday 6th Sept @07:30 - Yanokuchi for some hills

wexford

Maximum Pace
Jul 3, 2012
Unfortunately I have no time to ride this weekend as the in-laws are coming. But you can always find time to ride, right? (Especially when its the in-laws).

So, like the last time I posted a ride it goes like this.

Meet at Lawsons at 07:30 - https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place...m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x9aaf689ab312240f?hl=en

We'll ride up Onekan (That's the right name I think). It's a nice hilly road. At a 7-eleven (about 11km mark), we will break off the main road and enter some back roads to ride a 10k loop which is also hilly - yeah! I think 3 of those loops will do it for me so then I'll stop at the 7-eleven and sprawl on the ground until my heart rate recovers before heading back down to Yanokuchi again. I guess that would be about 56km back to the Lawson. Or more if we are feeling genki.

Here is the route with 1 loop.

I'll wear a TCC jersey so I'll be easy to spot perhaps. I'll wait there until 07:30 (so try be there on time if coming) before heading on. Pace will be 30kmph or so on the flats (not many flat parts) and as much as I can muster on the climbs without killing myself for the next one or the way home. WATT (for) me (me) thinks.

Reply here if you'll come or if its late tonight when you decide, then PM me so I've a good chance of seeing it.

Looks good. If I'm there at 7:30, I'm in. If not, please proceed without me. Keen to get out for the first time in two months.

I am thinking of doing a little exploring in the undergrowth of ura-onekan tomorrow morning. Might be a nice preliminary to mashing around that 10 km loop. Likely route here:

@GrantT - Don't know how you come up with this stuff. We can definitely hook that on there if you can guide us through the mayhem :)

Hi all. Just a note about the weather. It may or may not be raining tomorrow. Small chance perhaps? I still plan on riding regardless.

Unfortunately I have no time to ride this weekend as the in-laws are coming. But you can always find time to ride, right? (Especially when its the in-laws).

So, like the last time I posted a ride it goes like this.

Meet at Lawsons at 07:30 - https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/ローソン L 稲城鶴川街道/@35.640419,139.52103,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x9aaf689ab312240f?hl=en

We'll ride up Onekan (That's the right name I think). It's a nice hilly road. At a 7-eleven (about 11km mark), we will break off the main road and enter some back roads to ride a 10k loop which is also hilly - yeah! I think 3 of those loops will do it for me so then I'll stop at the 7-eleven and sprawl on the ground until my heart rate recovers before heading back down to Yanokuchi again. I guess that would be about 56km back to the Lawson. Or more if we are feeling genki.

Here is the route with 1 loop.

I'll wear a TCC jersey so I'll be easy to spot perhaps. I'll wait there until 07:30 (so try be there on time if coming) before heading on. Pace will be 30kmph or so on the flats (not many flat parts) and as much as I can muster on the climbs without killing myself for the next one or the way home. WATT (for) me (me) thinks.

Reply here if you'll come or if its late tonight when you decide, then PM me so I've a good chance of seeing it.

Hah! That's my neck of the woods. I live in Oyamada-sakuradai danchi, just to the left of the loop on your route. I know I should be happy to live in such a hilly place, but on a day to day basis all the hills are a pain in the ass!

I'm in bits after that ride. Thanks for coming out to play @GrantT . I'll post a few pics later as I've just been told that dinner is ready! Yeah!

Bad start to the day as the little lad didn't sleep much last night. I managed to get him asleep again at 5:40 and and headed for breakfast. Running about 5 minutes late, legs were feeling a little tired still after last weeks excursions. Wind didn't help much to get to the meeting point but I got there 5 minutes early. @GrantT showed up exactly on time at 7:30 and I was just throwing my leg over the bar when he said we should wait 10 more minutes just in case.

We decided to do Ura Onekan as per his suggestion and headed off. Before I knew it we were in lala land going down country lanes and weaving in among the greenery on skinny lanes that rarely see traffic. We got a little lost at one stage when we turned left instead of going straight though a stoney section that we had discounted at first. Soon back on track though and I was cracking up at the little hills being thrown at us from all angles. Some were quite nasty >15% and had me out of the saddle while my partner in crime found a lower gear and stayed sitting. More power to you!

I was pretty knackered by the time we hit the 7-eleven as we'd climbed 500m already. I'd finished two bottles at that point so filled up with more water which mr weight weenie refused and off we went on our lap. Mr G was feeling genki it seems and was leaving me on most of the climbs. Hence the WATT for me. After the lap, he decided he needed to get home and I decided that I needed to toughen the f up and do my advertised 3 laps. I took it real easy for the next two laps though as I went into survival mode. Back at the combini again I had some coke, a snickers and rice ball as well as filling up the 2 empty bottles again. 6 bottles for the ride.

Headed back home a slightly longer way and by the time I got home, had racked up 110km and >1200m. Not too bad.

Once home, I had some food and more water and had an hours nap. Woke up to horrible pain in both thighs. Actually the inside of my right thigh and the outside of my left thigh. I was desperately trying to stretch them to get some relief but it wasn't easy given the location. First time to get cramps there. Ouch. I don't really know why I cramped though (and am kinda worried about more tonight). The 6 bottles I had, I used SIS electrolyte tabs in. I must be lacking something though. The other thing about this ride was that I had an elevated heart rate for most of the ride. Ie, on rides where I feel really good I might be going along at a relaxed but decent pace and see ~130bpm where as today it was more like 150bpm. I think that has to do with the lack of sleep last night though.

Anyway - enough dribble. Here are some snaps.

Mr High Nelly himself showing the proper posture a safe passage though these kinds of roads.

IMG_4508.JPG

The nicer surface of the back path.
IMG_4512.jpg

Where the hell are we going? Good fun!
IMG_4514.jpg

Obviously not wearing the correct gear for scorning.
IMG_4520.JPG

Some great riding through unfamiliar but challenging terrain today. Our meeting point also happened to be the meeting point for the Nalsima Freds elite racing team, who we saw again on a backroad in ura-onekan as they passed us on the way up a hill. Extremely embarrassing.

Kudos to @wexford for managing another two loops of that circuit. I recommend the imbibing of a suitable muscle relaxant for those sore legs, or a foam roller.

Proper form on the velocipede is essential for today's modern gentleman.

@Robert there is around 200 m total of unpaved road starting from near the 12 km marker. The asphalt is also quite cut up with debris in a few other places. We took it fairly easy and managed fine on 23 mm tyres.

Helmet is a MET M75 Inferno UL with some cloth tape over it and reflective tape on the back.

Last edited:
I drank 2 litres of Pocari Sweat last night over the evening before going to bed. Cramped once in the evening but nothing during the night. By the lack of pee yesterday evening, I'd say my problem was dehydration. I must have been dehydrated before the ride started. Not sure how @GrantT survived on so little water.

Now - I'm gonna plan new ride bait for torture next Sunday where I should see some arm warmer usage.

Back
Top Bottom