What's new

Ride Saturday 30th May - Yabitsu or Wada Pass

Harry

Warming-Up
Apr 13, 2015
Evening all,

I'm planning to ride either Yabitsu or Wada pass this Saturday and would be happy for some company.

I haven't done much riding recently so I'm looking to keep things at around 50-60km, averaging somewhere between 25-30 kph...

Let me know if you want to join!

Should be a good day out provided the weather behaves ;)

Wada is properly closed on the west side. You must not go there, Simba. KOM avs up the the east side is 15.5 kph. Happy climbing.

Probably get the train from Shinjuku to Takao for either ride, then back from Takao for Wada and from Hadano for Yabitsu.

Also open to doing Yabitsu in reverse and getting the train back from Takao as it's a bit of a long post-ride train journey otherwise...

Thanks @Half-Fast Mike, how come the west side is closed?

Thanks @Half-Fast Mike, how come the west side is closed?
They are fixing the road that got trashed in a landslide a year or so ago. For a while it was passable on a bike but as of the last report I saw the site was crammed with heavy plant and they'd dug up the full width of the road, so no dice. (Unless Sunday, in which case you get your cleats dirty, take your chances, and tell us how you got on.)

For Yabitsu.... why not get the train to Hadano, ride up and over, have lunch at the lake, then ride back the way you came? Exactly 60 km and muchos kudos. The north approach is easy.

I hear that Wada re-opened last week. Can anyone confirm this?
I have my doubts as this is a public works job so should need at least 3 years to complete!

For Yabitsu.... why not get the train to Hadano, ride up and over, have lunch at the lake, then ride back the way you came? Exactly 60 km and muchos kudos. The north approach is easy.

Sounds like a good idea to me. You still interested @GrantT?

I'm going to be getting the 9:38 train from Shinjuku, arriving at Hadano for 10:36...

Any more takers?

I would rather start from Takao.

How about something like this? It includes the option of taking the train back from Sagamiko if Takao from the other side seems like too much by that point.

Also, can the start time be a lot earlier?

Yep, I'm easy either way.

How about getting the 8:15 from Shinjuku, arriving at Takao for 8:59?

That start time is good for me.

I'll actually be riding out to Takao station, so let's perhaps set a meeting place of Takao North Exit at 9:10 am for anyone not riding the train.

There are coin lockers at both the North and South exits (JR line) if needed.

I hear that Wada re-opened last week. Can anyone confirm this?
I have my doubts as this is a public works job so should need at least 3 years to complete!

This is what Wada West looked like as recently as May 10:

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0446.JPG

We're planning a half-fast Otsuki 4.5 Meltdown for Saturday, but thank you for the invitation.

I would join, but not sure I can hack 126km just yet. Maybe in a couple of weeks ;)

Otsuki 4.5 is not just any 126 km ride, it is a beast of a ride (about as much climbing as my most recent 400 km ride). It's a great one to aim for.

Yep yep. Saw that. I'm not that familiar with the area. That was only my second visit, I think.

There was a similar repair job in minami Boso. Landslide took out a portion of road then they closed it to cars then when the big repair was on they closed off the whole thing to everyone.

Nice ride out to Takao, where I met up with Harry and we rode a few hills around Sagamihara. Lots of cyclists out, very hot, very green. No KOMs as the knee is still a bit dodgy, but the scenery and downhills made up for that.
DSCN0561.JPG
Coke and a banana, like a pro.

Back
Top Bottom