What's new

Ride Saturday 25th Oct - The Century of the Selfie

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Liked what I saw of this area last week so am going back to do some exploring. Should be lovely. Bail points a-plenty via Doshi Michi or stations along Route 20. I'll probably be riding the rivers back from Takao too (Asagawa then Tamagawa).

Main climbs are Odarumi Pass, Makime Pass, Gando Pass and Tochiya-Sakazawa Rindo

Starting from Takao Station north side exit at 7:30 am (provisional)
Ending at Takao Station about 109 km later
Lots of short hills, steep hills, at a brisk pace, WATT within reason (5 min tops on large climbs).
Climbing: 3,000 m
Route here (subject to minor ongoing changes)

Last edited:
Looks like a great ride mate. And the title makes it even more intriguing ;). I will, however, be heading up the Arakawa towards the pizza place and beyond on Saturday.

Looks fun, But alas I am committed to cooking up a brevel on Sunday as opposed to Saturday this weekend.

Looks great! Will try to join if I can get my arse out of bed. It's been a very rough week sleep-wise.

Interesting observation about those last two climbs: hardly any Japanese riders. all foreign names. Why is that?

Crazy that we missed each other again. I was on the 6:44 in the last car with all the 1/2 fast guys going to Oume. Fortunately I downloaded your route into the (I want to say 'trusty' garmin) rusty garmin otherwise I'd have been totally lost. Great route but I had terrible luck. First puncture going down toward the first Rindo. Switched to my only spare tube. Going up the Rindo, big hit under the debris. Two viper bites about 2cm apart. Not repairable. Pull the other tube. Repair it. Push on. 3 patches left. Going down the Rindo. Bang. Again. Same wheel (front) fix that with a patch. Boot my wheel due to a cut. Soldier on. Miss your turn to the next Rindo. U-turn. Going up. About 3/4 the way and bang. The rear goes. Fix that with a patch. One patch left. Decide that the odds are not good. Turn around. Pass a guy going down Doshi and as I turn in for the next corner big understeer. I'm thinking the front is down too again. I would have had a head on because the bike wouldn't turn in. Managed to slow down and pull over. Flat front. Put on one more patch. Put in second boot (Calorie Mate wrapper) start pumping. All going well and the. I heard it. That was all she wrote. I started walking. And soon found a lovely couple riding up Doshi. Asked them if they had a spare tube for me. They did. I give them 5,000 yen. They insisted on change. They told me about a restaurant that has a pump. Obviously they were sympathetic to my little hand guy. Made it there and they actually had tubes. Bought a spare, pumped up again and TT'd home.

Obviously my tires are not cut out for this (excuse the pun). They are SWORKS clinchers and are perfect on smooth asphalt but not made for the Rindos. Will switch to my trusty Veloflex for the next attempt.

I very much enjoyed this route. Kinda perfect distance and elevation.

Thanks again.

My fault for getting the earlier train I reckon. And that's some horrific luck on the punctures - at least you got back in one piece. In the end I bailed the big second to last climb since by then my legs felt like jelly warmed up. Now for the selfies.
IMAG0023.JPG
I didn't really go up there (I did)
IMAG0032.JPG
Leaves and stuff
IMAG0036.JPG
Bridge over the river Kawaii
IMAG0059.JPG
Top of Gando Toge (south side) with Mt. Fuji combo selfie

Last edited:
@GrantT - it's not really 'leading' a ride if you go on a different train and set off before the other participants arrive. Are you shy or something?

But it seems your legs (knees?) are better, eh. That's great.

I will do these rides when my legs (knees) are better (again).

Glad someone else saw that too...............................

it's not really 'leading' a ride if you go on a different train and set off before the other participants arrive. Are you shy or something?

For anyone thinking about doing this route, the section between 46 km and 49 km on the RWGPS route above is "進入禁止" (see photo) and covered in loads of fallen crap. If you want to avoid that section (if I do this route again I probably would) then just turn left after the 45 km point and ride on Route 75 back to Doshi Michi. You'll miss some admittedly really nice views though (see 2nd and 3rd selfies above).

Last edited:
Is that a wild tripod* head, or did your bring your own tame one?

Ha! Actually, that was just sitting there all by itself. I am guessing there is someone that takes a picture from that location all the time. I know, I know, shameful cropping. Can't even crop my ride data. Strava shows my trip on the train as well!

Back
Top Bottom