What's new

Saturday 10th: Arakawa and Chichibu

SteveT

Maximum Pace
Nov 11, 2007
As always, a last minute idea to go for a ride tomorrow morning … I'm heading out Chichibu way tomorrow morning, hoping that the lower toge should be free of snow & ice. Plan is to ride out on the Arakawa, climb Sadamine Toge, Yamabishi Toge, then head down to Ome. Ride or get the train home, depending on time.

Bit of an early start, as I need to be back in Tokyo by late afternoon, so I'll be passing by the "Spaceship" at 7:30pm:
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/60336366

Anyone else willing to brave some sub-zero temperatures with me tomorrow is welcome to join !

Cheers
Steve

Steve, you )')')%$#****!! The one day I actually need to be <AT HOME> working or whatever. Those Toge are so inviting right now! and so pertinent before the first snow! Hmmmmmm.. how can I avoid responsibility .. grrrrr. I might jusy join you at the spaceship to see how far we can get before the orbit return d-mark.

Yeah, got to tick them off before the real winter sets in. I'll see you there then, Tim !

Hi Steve, the map seems to be private, sounds interesting but still not decided also need to shift my responsibilities first...
Where is the spaceship?

Sorry Malte - those bloody mapmyride default settings. I've made it public so take another look - Cheers!

Sorry, will go ahead... you cam reach me on 090 482o 58four six if you want to meet part way , cheers !

Great ride, sorry for messing up the rendezvous-point as I seemed to be waiting at some other spaceship out there :(.

While I was first going up Arakawa on my own, suddenly and luckily Steve appeared on my back-wheel. With his approximate understanding :) of the area he managed to guide us to the mountains. A pace-line of 15 young riders (forgot their club name) passed us and we thankfully jumped on the express that took us with >40kph up the roads. We went up 273 together (don't remember the toge name) and then let them go so we could better enjoy the scenery :warau:. The next climb was Sadamine Toge which had still some ice on it on the ascent side so we went up slowly.

After a very chilly decent we had lunch at the 7/11, then passed the flats of Chichibu-land and went up to Yamabushi-Toge. While we shot pictures in the snow (see below) we saw another cyclist walking down a road from the totally snow cowered Green Line. After another descent we climbed 53 again to Oume (Toge Name ???) where we took the train back.

160km, 1700m climbing, 24.5kph, very clear sky but you have to watch out the ice, actually i went down on the arakawa so you don't need to go to the mountains for that :eek:.

attachment.php

Steve on descent from Sadamine-Toge

attachment.php

Me trying to hide in the snow near Yamabushi-Toge

Great ride today - thanks for the write up Malte ! Not too sure about that rather mincing photo of me in front of the view down to Chichibu though...

I never though I could sweat so much at 1 degree C but with Malte setting the pace there was no other choice :eek: This is probably a good winter loop, as there is nothing higher than 600m, but I would say it is probably better to wait at least two days after any snowfall before trying this - the black ice here and there was pretty treacherous.

Hopefully next time we can agree on what exactly the Arakawa "spaceship" is, and where ... :D

Back
Top Bottom