What's new

Ride Saturday 10/26: Izu loop

1571996166444.png

'Road closure'... it seems.

Edit: I'm relying on google translate...

Last edited:
Route 80 (First 24 km) looks problematic... Can't see any recent rides on Strava segments either; for route 80 and Yamabushi-toge.... :(

Edit:
Nishi Izu Skyline looks OK:

Last edited:
Good catch @Gok ! There's a small road between 80 and 19 that should allow crossing over (or just use 19) Though for the record, closed roads usually don't stop me :devil:

Here's the longer route with that edit:

@OPPL200 if it's too close for RWC stuff, no worries, if you want to get back to Shinjuku by 2:30 this is the same route with the update for rt 80.

Fun exploratory ride across Izu yesterday. Four of us set out from Atami station, which has a little hot spring foot tub outside the station that I'll have to try sometime. Coastal road due south had a bit of traffic on a Saturday morning - but the views and weather made up for it.
IMG_1560.jpg
The small road between 80 and 19 was short & steep, but not obstructed by any recent storm damage. I held up everyone with a flat tire from a small wire half-way up 🙃 . Patched the tube, and descended into the valley towards Shuzenji. On the way down we said hi to some mountain bikers who were effortlessly and cheerily climbing the opposite way (on what looked like e-bikes :warau:)
IMG_1565.jpg
From Shuzenji we turned to the northwest corner of Izu. Highly recommend the Nishi Izu Skyline road, after a climb the the views of Fuji and the bay where you can see both sides of the ocean across Izu Hanto were really fantastic. I don't have the photography skills of @joewein though! Interesting to see that at the top of the skyline road there's not much tree cover, even though it's only about 1000m, maybe due to ocean proximity?
IMG_1580.jpg
We altered the original route a bit and descended to the coast. Bought (and ate) a large number of roadside mikan oranges from a local farmer. Due to RWC and family obligations we split up at this point, hopefully @OPPL200 and @Mfebrian got back ok on the bullet train from Mishima. (Sorry to hear about your bank card Ollie - but heard that England did well yesterday ;-)

Gok and I decided to take a more northern return route instead of back on the west coast. Also came across this 7-11 boat. I've been to a lot of 7-11s, but never seen one that has a boat in the parking lot.
IMG_1592.jpg

Well, would have like to have made it back all the way to Atami but on the final climb on rt 11 the traffic got pretty heavy and boxed in between cars I managed not to see a reflective bumper coming on the shoulder which had a particularly nasty sharp edge on it. Double pinch flatted my poor front tire (and also sent me into the ground, but only a slight scrape). Spent another 3 patches trying to save the tube but it was unfortunately toast 😢
IMG_1598.jpg
Replaced with a fresh tube, but collectively we had zero patches and only one remaining spare tube remaining (Gok's "lucky tube", which already had been patched a few times), so rather than risk it, we rode back towards Kannagi station and took the local train 8 minutes to Atami, then back home. (Time to buy more tubes and patches today.. usually I carry two.) At least there were more views of Fuji on the final run to the station.
IMG_1600.jpg
All in all , great day on the bike and thanks for the company!

Last edited:
Also came across this 7-11 boat. I've been to a lot of 7-11s, but never seen one that has a boat in the parking lot.
View attachment 18974

This may be to escape tsunami. Many ports around Izu have steel towers that people can climb quickly if they are unable to find high ground nearby. The boat may serve a similar purpose, to save people from drowning if a wall of waters comes rushing in. I think I have seen one in a port on Rt17 on the north coast, perhaps even the same one.

This may be to escape tsunami. Many ports around Izu have steel towers that people can climb quickly if they are unable to find high ground nearby. The boat may serve a similar purpose, to save people from drowning if a wall of waters comes rushing in. I think I have seen one in a port on Rt17 on the north coast, perhaps even the same one.

@sean-e ... This is a much better explanation than mine 'Its probably for home delivering stuff to people who live under water..(I thought it was a submarine)..'

This may be to escape tsunami.
This is the correct answer, and a nice idea.

I do hope that the lifeboats' high-tech features don't include the instrumental "Daydream Believer" on an endless loop, though. Or an oden tray...

Thanks, @Half-Fast Mike!

Here is a satellite view of the parking lot where I had seen it.

And this is one of the tsunami evacuation towers, also in north Izu:

HbyzYHA5BmM_VKbLyQZkKh2ycDntBJ5hg8ITl2-4AZPBLZ_SrdZbR95halMc3yne_wAIQQboO71M5Q9fjCKYk9h0lPFselvO6BpJCgu7Q5E-1nnS0qSEgKvE-nylptw6X87fN0eAizck8xqvgFG7AnxDAOakA7BREcB1A0ctBRKMT_W6SshXLjhKmF3_xs9D4nw5m7kc1ohw9MlmLJlpW09Ak0r3-7NSOHJ-LvI9AteCxb2szDWbdvXj1gkJLGZnnKXkpA9sMbo7HmbWfHO2e1aUY79IOu6SyPDKuUavps_vg8vyzwWyew3zJPNCszO0Lpn-KgQQsZ5te3_UqF_PytQP0xTAn1WcffV5r8Da8eocXwvIha7l478T-SvLLBup1aQOWX_fVzerQmH2G92TJ-PNdXL1X41GyLk-TOFZSHUCfN8VzFXjdD0MVlHwC4DCheZXYoO0M2onfmzbbRYdBeaw-dLEIWobcXfBxEaQl3iVBKu7ppbMGwlH3s4yjvZoSGG3nAb7nt_nG3PSaXS7H0NoOQVcw7TusIhREM3pJLmtSRBifx8mdA2OaGZuEXeg_hO12q-7Ib3r-jGwstcpwnd82wo7PDmrDy4j9EX1Qfn18JerHNFWnqb7J9-wNV5MrcE0UA30Tkz6EUgrzshXGco_o1I3zO_jg1gIc90cvl-d-yyNYVKa_we1cHA7JmbaMgFbT0RHYDn4q-IhtviZwTDObolDwoAsYQ=s800-no

Back
Top Bottom