What's new

Ride Saturday, 1/25: Izu long way back

sean-e

Maximum Pace
Mar 4, 2019
Start: Saturday 1/25, Atami station, 8:00AM departure
End: Atami station (?) late-o-clock (bring 🔦 ).
Pace: moderate (will keep together) with conbini stops. pretty long route (~230km) though.

Tentative route idea: the coast road to circle around Izu. Mostly low elevation, should be no snow this time (*ahem*), road bikes. Open to other ideas, but am interested in at least the southern tip which I haven't been by yet...

There are local train stops towards the end that can be used as bailout if we don't want to cross the final mountains back to Atami but not many exit options in the midlands.

Post or PM if interested!

Thanks for creating the route Sean.

I'm interested in seeing the South of Izu too... riding there is bound to be a good way to get to that part of the coast :)

Will be at Atami for 8 on Saturday

Looking forward to getting another report from the intrepid pair! You guys have some awesome rides! I wish I was 30 years younger, 30 kgs lighter and 30 kms quicker and I might be able to accompany you. Still, it's great to live them vicariously through you. Have fun!

Well, I am wiped. Rides of 200+ km and projected RWGPS elevation in excess of 6000 meters are banned for the near future.

Just two of us started from Atami. Skies were pretty clear in the morning. Izu's fantastic.
IMG_2377.jpg

Spent a lot of time doing various Side Quests of Cultural and Historical Significance along the way, which included...

The iZoo of iZu (badumtish)
IMG_2375.jpg

The eternal flame of George "Dubya" Bush at Commodore Perry's landing site:
IMG_2381.jpg

Walking to cliff temples near Shimoda:
IMG_2394.jpg

A watchtower which if you look at it for a bit, is a Robot in Disguise
IMG_2395.jpg

After dilly dallying around till early afternoon, we realized the main quest of getting back to Tokyo was still a ways off, and started making our way back up the coast.
IMG_2389.jpg

Darkness fell as we reached the top left corner. I was really hoping RWGPS was off by a factor 4 on the elevation, but it seems not to have been off by even a factor of two 😓
IMG_2404.jpg

After rounding the top corner of Izu, I at least had no more willingness to cross the final mountain back to Atami, and we bailed to Numazu after 210km and 3500m elevation gain according to the garmin barometer. Great stuff @thooms .

Next weekend thinking of posting a coffee ride. Rest week!

Well, I am wiped. Rides of 200+ km and projected RWGPS elevation in excess of 6000 meters are banned for the near future.

Izu is beautiful but really makes you work for it with the constant ups and downs. Heck of a ride, and as usual, an interesting ride report (all but for the "iZoo of Izu" remark, for which I subtract 10 points)!

That ride was not for the faint of heart or weak of leg (which are only two of the reasons I didn't go).

Thanks as ever for the report and the company, @sean-e!

That was a really solid day of riding... I was ruined by the time we got to Numazu. Excellent route, I really enjoyed the little diversions off the main road - plus the bonus ones such as the walk to the weird anthropomorphic lighthouse and cliff-face shrine. One interesting experience was the can of PRO-ISM which I consumed in the interest of science - I haven't seen that anywhere else? At any rate, drinking that was not a decision I'd recommend to anyone.

The elevation number on RWGPS was disappointingly representative of the amount of hilliness encountered. Only the last 25km or so of the ride were anywhere close to what could be called 'flat', even though we only went up to a (GPS indicated) maximum of around 250m.

Our actual route is here on Strava, for those who suffer from that particular affliction:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3042047177

A really good day out, however something in the mould of a coffee ride next weekend sounds like a winning plan (as long as the 'coffee' isn't PRO-ISM).

Attachments

• IMG_1133.jpg
    IMG_1133.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1157.jpg
    IMG_1157.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1161.jpg
    IMG_1161.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom