What's new

Ride Saturday 1/11: Zushi (not fish-on-rice)

Hi @sean-e,

I would love to join riding with you & @thooms down to Zushi however 6.15AM @Tamagawa bridge is a bit to early for me.
However if you can adjust the time to 6.45 or even 7AM i can meet you @Tamagawa bridge if not then we meet @Zushi station 8AM.
Thanks,

Risk is just enhanced levels of traffic, but it is a holiday so maybe not as bad - @thooms is 7 ok for you?

Below is a modification of another TCCer route to get there - haven't tried it myself.
A Sunday or holiday Monday is about the only truck-free time when it's safe to ride across the lower deck of Yokohama Bay Bridge. Technically not allowed, but I've done it a few times and it saves a few km and several dozen traffic lights compared with trekking through the city. Just an idea...

Thanks @sean-e & @thooms,see u tomorrow at 7AM.
Just to be sure Tamagawa bridge is the 2nd meeting point Tama Loop right?

I've been thinking of heading down to Miura sometime, but unfortunately won't be able to join you guys tomorrow. In case useful, here's a route I have on standby (but can't vouch for) that begins on Nakahara-kaido around Denenchofu. The idea was to head south through Yokohama earlier before there's excessive traffic and then come back a bit inland on roads that Google street view suggests are a little more comfortable (but not flat!).

If one picture could sum up today's ride, it would be a red traffic light 🤣

But to go back to the beginning, @thooms was pretty keen on trying @Half-Fast Mike 's shortcut across the Yokohama Bay Bridge. The tempting shortcut looms from the north Kawasaki side:
IMG_2272.jpg

After almost starting up the wrong onramp, we managed to get on a blue not-the-expressway road up and over. A novel view and certainly saved some time, though a bit close traffic in parts. The co-conspirators checking over the edge:
IMG_2275.jpg

Made good time and started the Miura loop. So many traffic lights on the first stretch east! Amazing how far the Tokyo-esque sprawl goes. Found space between fishing poles for a quick picture in front of Sarushima.
IMG_2278.jpg

Around the bottom corner, things got more rural and scenic. Fair number of people on TT bikes around here. Particularly hazy day and quite warm. Only the ghostly snow top of Fuji was visible from the southern part of Miura.
IMG_2290.jpg

We completed the original Zushi loop and headed west towards Enoshima. Holy traffic Batman! Not sure if it was just the holiday, but everyone it seemed was trying to get there. Cars! Bicycle randonneurs! Surfers! Motos! Thankfully, when we finally crossed the bridge to Enoshima, there was the usual supply of Japanese carnival food, and some fried sweet potatoes hit the spot.

Also Enoshima has the sculpture "Our Lady of Cyclocross", showing how to shoulder your bicycle:
IMG_2291.jpg

From Enoshima, we headed back up to route 1 and began the slog back. Stopped at Yokohama Chinatown, acquired sesame rice balls, then went for a quick visit to the pier. Cool antique car show there today:
IMG_2296.jpg

@Mfebrian headed back by train, @thooms and I went on to finish the journey up route 1 where we split ways on the Tama.

Good times. Glad we tried it, but, probably would take the train direct next time to Zushi :p

It was another great ride Yesterday..
Thanks for @sean-e and @thooms for being patient with me along the journey especially on the hills, my heart-beat almost explode try to keep with you :warau:.

At the end i need to take the train to keep my promise with everyone's home, but seeing @thooms reached 200K more in Strava i should choose just to stay with you bit longer and try to cross one of my bucket list for this year however there always next time :p

Okay i'm in @sean-e, cause i'm also thinking to ride back to Tokyo. Quite familiar already with Tama so we can split up when we hit Tama.
See you then on Saturday @Zushi station at 8AM.

Hi @OPPL200, you've rode to Odawara before is it on the same route when we back from Zushi Station to Tokyo?
Thanks,

Sorry just seen this - had 3 friends over from the UK and I have since been in a haze of all you can eat meat & beer.....

I've done a couple of rides down to that area - as you found out, lots of traffic lights :flip:

Thanks for another great day out @Mfebrian and @sean-e. Riding over the big bridge on the way into Yokohama was a definite highlight - although also a little bit scary! Great suggestion from @Half-Fast Mike.

Being in a pub on Friday night with people who were smoking cigars seemed to have given me some kind of Victorian lung disease - which wasn't helped by the traffic on the way back into Tokyo :p

It's all good - and I seem to have mostly recovered from the diesel/cigar smoke-induced TB now.

But yes, traffic lights aplenty! Literally hundreds, I'd wager...

Back
Top Bottom