What's new

Ride Saturday 1/11: Zushi (not fish-on-rice)

sean-e

Maximum Pace
Mar 4, 2019
I've heard mixed things about Miura-Hanto. Is it a warmer winter cycling oasis by the sea? Or an endless stream of traffic lights? Never been, so only one way to find out...

Start: Zushi station, 8:00 AM
End: Zushi station, should be done before 12
Pace: brisk, baby! (depends on who shows up, will keep it together, maybe one conbini stop)

Post or PM if interested.

Ye olde TCC route on RideWithGPS:

Last edited:
I'm frightened off by your brisk pace (I can't even maintain your slow speed), but have stolen your route! Thanks for this and have a great ride.

Hi @sean-e,

I might be interested to join, any plan to ride back to Tokyo? Should be around 60K back to Tokyo i think.
Thanks,

@Kangaeroo i'm not that speedy but next time!

@Mfebrian I might ride back from Zushi northwards (I live in Ota so will stop when we hit the Tama).

It's a bit of a slog back through the urban sprawl ... that part may be anti-brisk.

Was considering detouring quickly by the Yokohama chinatown / osanbashi pier to get some food on the way back :-D

Anyways, let me know if you're in by later tonight, otherwise I'll probably reschedule.

Okay i'm in @sean-e, cause i'm also thinking to ride back to Tokyo. Quite familiar already with Tama so we can split up when we hit Tama.
See you then on Saturday @Zushi station at 8AM.

Hi @OPPL200, you've rode to Odawara before is it on the same route when we back from Zushi Station to Tokyo?
Thanks,

That's true @Gok, he always wait for me at the top of the hill due to my slow speed..

Hi @sean-e,
For tomorrow i'm really sorry that i need to cancel, somehow i need to drop my kids tomorrow morning at school..

So enjoy your ride tomorrow with @thooms or if you reschedule please let me know cause i'm still interested..

Thanks,

I'm horrendously jet lagged and another day would be better for me as well - would Sunday work instead? Got some jobs to do when I get in so I'm not a definite for tomorrow.

Or, we could go big on Monday...?

Sounds like Saturday morning is a bust then for this ride. Womp womp.

But, my weekend right now is pretty open Sunday/Monday! (I didn't even know Monday was a holiday until recently... 😅 ) And weather looks mostly OK both days (slight chance of rain later Sunday but should be nothing serious).

Any votes/availability for:

1. This Zushi ride on Sunday
2. This Zushi ride on Monday
3. Something else even more long and arduous on Monday (I want to do a winter Kazahari rindo run one of these weekends...)

Last edited:
Monday works for me, a bit longer ride is also fine as long as i can touch down Tokyo before 5 PM.

Should we go for Zushi ride on Monday?

Monday Zushi sounds good to me. @thooms are you interested? (If you want to make it longer, can always ride down to Zushi and back again 🙃 Or add in a detour to Enoshima. )

Last edited:
Hey @sean-e,

That will be more than 200K 😂 don't think i can make it on time tho if do all riding..
But i'm okay if you want to ride down to Zushi and do the loop, but still i will carry my rinko in case i need to bail-out to make it on time back to Tokyo..

What do tou think @thooms??

I like these ideas! Not been to Enoshima, would certainly be up for that :)

If we rode to Zushi early on Monday, perhaps the traffic won't be too bad? Could then do the Miura loop and then sprinkle some Enoshima goodness on afterwards - train back from Odawara or Atami could be an option? Plenty of bailout options along the way, too.

I guess the coast road might be busy, as coast roads so often seem to be - I've ridden West from Odawara but I don't know what the rest of it is like?

The road along the coast can get pretty busy indeed. Espeacially the section between Zushi (or actually already from Hayama) and Kamakura. The rest of the road still will be more busy as what you know from your adventures in the hills/mountains. Nevertheless, usually it's still rideable and I've done so several times.
You also could think of including Yabitsu toge into your trip for some elevation meters (up from the south side and down the same). But I'm not sure how the road conditions are right now.

Thanks for the info @pedalist ! Yeah I did Yabitsu two weeks ago - south side is open, but am looking for something different this week.

@thooms I have doubts on how scenic it will be, but I am game to try for the early ride down to Zushi :warau: Below is a modification of another TCCer route to get there - haven't tried it myself.

If you want to meet on the south-side left-lane of Tamagawa bridge at 6:15AM Monday, I imagine we can be at Zushi at 8:00AM. (@Mfebrian if you want to ride down, can meet here too, or train works)

From there, can do the original Zushi loop above (~80k) and then afterwards quick 10km detour to Enoshima. After that, depending on the time and how people are feeling, can decide whether to rinko back or brave a return trip through the city.

Back
Top Bottom