What's new

Ride SAT, SEP 21st - Shiraishi "Back in the Saddle" Ride

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
Post USA trip, "back in the saddle" ride. From experience I've learned that jet lag seriously drains my endurance, so I'll be keeping this ride on the easy/modest side of things with a classic route climbing Shiraishi-toge, descending for lunch at the pizza spot, then climbing Sadamine-toge before heading to Ogawamachi Station. With a bit of group energy and encouragement there's a possibility we could also throw in one more climb after Sadamine-toge.

INFO:
Meet Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: Family Mart (HERE)
Climbing: 1400-1700m
Distance: 100-105km
Route: HERE

Looking forward to seeing everyone Saturday morning!

I'm out of town for work. I hope to ride on Sunday or Monday though.

Well, I am in town and not working so it would be a pleasure.

Also open to Sunday and/or Monday.

Pete,

Welcome back!
Just in time for one of the best cycling seasons here.
Happy to be back-to-Pete's-ride.

See you all Saturday morning.

I'm in!
I hope I'll find the meet point, it's like the other part of the town and I've never been there.
Would anybody by any chance going there past Odaiba/Tsukiji/Ginza/Imperial Palace? Guidance appreciated.

@Caryakine, if you can get to the east side of the Imperial palace, head north past Tokyo Dome and follow route 301. It will take you to route 17 (Nakasendo Highway). Follow this towards the north west. It takes you all the way to the street corner of the convenience store which is the meeting point, about 200 m before the dam next to the river. Yes, it really helps to have a smart phone around here. If you cross the Arakawa on Route 17 you've gone too far. Take a look in Google Maps and it will become a bit clearer.

I live further west, in Setagaya-ku. The route I normally take is Rt246 towards the east, then Rt317 which runs north-south. It eventually merges with Rt17.

So this would be a less direct alternative, but only following big roads. You can head west from the palace following either Rt20 or Rt246 until you cross Rt317, then north and finally follow 17.

Make a printout from Google Maps on your PC if you don't have a smart phone or buy a paper map.

Pete (@Yamabushi) lives near Ueno, maybe 2 km from the Palace. Maybe you can meet up near his place if you contact him directly.

I am thinking of taking a slightly more direct path since I cannot make the start time due to other stuff. By what time do you think I would need to be waiting at the 55 km mark on the route if I am to definitely catch the group?

I am thinking of taking a slightly more direct path since I cannot make the start time due to other stuff. By what time do you think I would need to be waiting at the 55 km mark on the route if I am to definitely catch the group?
Including the conbini stop, we should be at the round wooden hut at the bottom of Shiraishi just before the 62km mark around 10:00am or so.

I'm in. See you at the spaceship around 7:30. Depending on time, I may be riding home, too.

Yet another great ride led by Pete. Now the weather is cooling down a little, it is far more comfortable to be out in the saddle. Having said that, it was still pretty damn hot today. Nice to meet Tony and always a pleasure to ride with all the regulars. I particularly enjoyed riding behind @Musashi13 today as I was able to sit back and enjoy the view ;)

Riding up to Shiraishi I was convincing myself not to try a good time on the mountain due to the heat. Once in the climb though , that went out the window and I decided to give it a try. My pacing was off but I managed to get a PB so I was pretty happy. Looking forward to the cooler weather to give it an all out assault.

Was good riding home with Tobias, Wei Chan and John although the late afternoon sun was hotter than I had expected.
All in all a great ride. Cheers everyone.

You love my "Painted on" style!

I took it easy today but was impressed that I could take it easy. I can climb Siraishi at a comfortable pace, gas-bagging away with @Yamabushi, and feel fine at the top. I thought the only way to make it up was to suffer. This has shown me the progress I have made in the short time I've been at this lark.

A nice group with a nice mix today, something for everyone. More of the same I say!

I had probably the best weekend since I've come here. I don't mean a weekend ride, I mean a weekend.
It was nice to meat all of you guys, and the scenery was just the thing I was longing to see while thinking on moving to Japan. Oh, and the descent was just the right thing!
I hope I was not very much of a bottleneck to today's ride.

Thanks for organizing this ride, and looking forward for the next one!

Back
Top Bottom