What's new

Ride SAT, SEP 14th - Boso backroads ripoff take 2

Aron B

Maximum Pace
Mar 24, 2012
Since this ride was cancelled last week, we'll try again this Saturday.

INFO:
Meet Time: 8:30am
Meet Place: South exit of Honda Station (誉田) on the JR Sotobo Line (no coin lockers)
Distance: 140km
Climbing: 2000m, up and down all the way, nothing really hard or long
Level: decent distance, moderaterelentless climbing. Anyone joining Pete's rides should be able to do this. We WATT (wait at the top) and everywhere else.
Route: HERE

I aim at 8 hours cycling + resting maximum, which may imply no real lunch but conbini stop(s) only, but we can adjust according to the group's wishes.

Thank you very much for suggesting and organizing. Count me in, please--first TTC ride in nearly half a year, can't wait!

Aron - Unfortunately, I must now get back to Tokyo by around 1:00pm. So, I'll be setting off from Honda station by 7:00 on a slightly shorter route, with minimal stopping, with a couple of other riders. If you should want to start earlier, maybe we could ride a portion together. Otherwise, I'll catch you next time.

Tom

Hey Aron
What time do you think you might be finishing the ride? I'm half considering to ride back home after but I guess it depends when we will be finishing. I have a good light so I suppose it wouldn't be too bad riding back in the dark. Any idea how far it is from Honda back towards the wakoshi area? Where will you be getting the train from tomorrow morning?

I just had 二次会, so sorry for any late reply.

Hi Tom, arriving at Honda at 8.15 for me implies waking up before 6am so any earlier won't work, have a good one.

Hi Mark, I'm aiming at six hours of riding plus two hours of rest maximum, so hopefully we'll be back between 4pm and 5pm at Honda. I'm sure you can ride back, but as far as I understand, it isn't a very pleasant route until you get to Arakawa.

See you all in the morning, Aron

I just had 二次会, so sorry for any late reply.

Hi Tom, arriving at Honda at 8.15 for me implies waking up before 6am so any earlier won't work, have a good one.

Hi Mark, I'm aiming at six hours of riding plus two hours of rest maximum, so hopefully we'll be back between 4pm and 5pm at Honda. I'm sure you can ride back, but as far as I understand, it isn't a very pleasant route until you get to Arakawa.

See you all in the morning, Aron
Cheers for the reply Aron. I've been looking at the route back and I kinda came to the same conclusion. Doesn't look too nice. Ill bring my light just in case though. See you in the morning. The train I was gonna get, gets to Honda at 8:32. Is that too late?

Really sorry but I cannot make this ride after all. Bad planning on my part has left me with enough work and more to fill the whole 3-day weekend.

I'm taking the one arriving at 8.15. We'll wait for you.
@AronB actually, I spotted the same train this morning while having my breakfast so I'll be arriving at 8:15. Cheers for offering to wait though. See you soon
@GrantT that's pants mate. Was really looking forward to seeing your new rocket.

I guess I missed? the train at Kinshicho, so I will be the one arriving at 8.32.

Hope you're having a good ride. Yes, the ride back is fairly awful and I would advise against it unless you simply have to get those km in.
I live relatively close by and would still opt for the train over the cycle home having done it once.

Hope you're having a good ride. Yes, the ride back is fairly awful and I would advise against it unless you simply have to get those km in.
I live relatively close by and would still opt for the train over the cycle home having done it once.
I decided that battling with cars, pollution, fading light and a poor sense of direction added up to a recipe for disaster. I am safely on the Musashino line on my way home. Had a great ride. I must admit I was a little surprised at first due to the lack of climbing but it seemed to pick up on the return leg from the coast. Was nice to meet Phil on the ride. Riding with Aron and Tobias is always a pleasure.
Aron was a little worse of wear (that's putting it mildly) after a heavy night of ....erm ....orange juice!!! so he really struggled until almost 3/4 of the way through. Then he was back to his usual self.
All in all a great ride. Hopefully more of you will come out on the next ride.

Yeah, great ride (other than the near death experience, who came up with the idea of putting a intersection along a totally straight road so nobody ca see it :p )
Good meeting you Phil, hopefully we'll ride together again soon. Thanks Aron for the initiative, and in your "condition" and everything, strong man!
Mark, you're a beast as usual!

Last edited:
Rode home from Shin-Nihombashi, which was actually pleasant. Thanks everybody for joining. I'm sorry for my poor conduit today. I liked it nevertheless.
See you next week, probably with Pete.

Note to self - repeat the series of 'hang over' rides,,, KOMWI

Back
Top Bottom