What's new

Ride SAT- November 8th - Nichitsu to Ogawamachi reverse ride

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Hi all

As it is now the Autumn season, I thought I would ride back up to Nichitsu and see the autumn leaves this coming Saturday. The route to be taken will be a reverse of the usual route (the route myself and @saibot did last month).

As the nights are closing in, we will be a little pushed for time so stops will be kept to a minimum. Climbs will be WATT within reason.

Lights are pretty much essential as we will most probably be hitting the last descent towards Ogawamachi in the dark.

INFO:
Meet Time: 7:00 am
Meet Place: at the Spaceship ( Here )
Climbing: Approx 3000m
Distance: A tad over 200km from the spaceship
Route: Here

Looking very much forward to this.

Just so people know: we're passing through Chichibu on the way back (~170km), and one could easily take a train from there. May even be the quicker option for Shinjuku and on.

Me too. And I know the route so don't worry about WATT. I will be catching the train from Chichibu on the return.

Looking forward to it...if the weather is anything like today then will be fabulous.

Credit must go to @Yamabushi for the route. Hope he is able to join us in the morning. There will be a lot of disappointed faces if he isn't there (no pressure then Pete ;) ).

Oh, and I forgot to mention, although we will be riding past the pizza place, we won't be stopping there for lunch (it might already be closed now I think about it). There will be a quick conbini stop somewhere along the way (TBD).

Can't make it unfortunately but have a good one. Looks like it's going to be a cold one so don't forget your warm gear

I can't do the full thing but shall be accompanying you fine people for as long as I can before heading off to Ogawamachi or Seibuchichibu.

I would go on this, but I melted a graphics card last night trying to make a particle correct scale model of the Scutum Centaurus Main Arm and have to get a new one installed in time for the Saturday night massive multi-user 3D contest I am aiming to win by creating a physically accurate full tornado turbulence engine.

So yeah, have a good one 'outside', you weirdos.

I would go on this, but I melted a graphics card last night trying to make a particle correct scale model of the Scutum Centaurus Main Arm and have to get a new one installed in time for the Saturday night massive multi-user 3D contest I am aiming to win by creating a physically accurate full tornado turbulence engine.

So yeah, have a good one 'outside', you weirdos.

Orchid_Righteous_3D_boxed.jpg

Great day out in Nichitsu.
Thanks @leicaman for organizing, I hope the last climb & descent in the dark was not too bad.
We were quite blessed with the weather, the remaining autumn colors were beautiful, and needless to say, good usual company.
The tunnel at the very top was nothing to fear for being guided by @mwharam 's brightest light.

Nice ride yesterday in the beautiful autumn foliage with a great bunch of people. It was a nice surprise to see @theBlob coming out for a ride up the river. @Andyintokyo also had to cut it short but it was good to see you both. From Sadamine it was a group of five. As we were doing a reverse loop, we rode East along the 299 out of Chichibu. @mwharam made it his duty to point out every soba and udon restaurant on the 299. I'm thinking now that perhaps he wanted to stop at one ;)
We hit the 210 and climbed up towards the tunnel. This is where the scenery was at its most beautiful. A few selfie stops were allowed and everything was going swimmingly until ... bang. Yes, @saibot picked up his second front wheel puncture in two rides with me. No more time for selfies. We hit the tunnel which was far warmer than expected and then we dropped down through the old village of Nichitsu. The leaves were just stunning. The ride back in to chichibu was mainly downhill the whole way back which was fun. Everyone opted to finish in Chichibu except stupid old me. I pushed on with darkness falling and rain clouds looming over the mountains I had to navigate. Lights on, windbreaker on. The rain fell heavier the more I climbed. The Japanese mountain passes can be a very lonely and quite scary place in the dark and in the rain. I made it up Ono pass then Takashino pass. I decided to cut across to Shiraishi pass and head down route 11 to Ogawamachi rather than towards Tokigawa and up route 30 as the rain was a little chilly.

After 206km and 3200m of climbing, feeling a little drained, I pulled into Ogawamachi station at 6pm. I'm not sure the food poisoning and throwing up all day on Wednesday had helped but I was glad to plonk myself down on a seat in a warm train.

@mwharam and @Chikako really impressed me. Both very strong. Good riding guys.

And now for the selfies

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415493811.782488.jpg

Up towards the tunnel

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415493853.086399.jpg

Through the trees

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415493884.101622.jpg

Some weirdo spoiling the view

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415493911.615573.jpg

Peachy bum. The owner shall remain anonymous.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415493944.465159.jpg

Down under

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415493982.922680.jpg

The autumn leaves

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415494004.896057.jpg

Serious face

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415494031.111544.jpg

Looking back down the road

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415494055.504699.jpg

Tramp stamp

Wish I could have joined for the entire ride but it was nice to see you guys anyway. Glad you had a good ride and excellent selfies as always particularly that last one.

Fabulous ride, company and weather.
Thank you for the write-up, finally stopping for food at the 7-Eleven, and all the great selfies.

See you all soon. again, I hope

A "I think I need to go home and and change into a clean pair of underpants" moment.

Back
Top Bottom