What's new

SAT, NOV 10 - Green Line Classic

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
It's getting a bit cooler and the days are getting a bit shorter so starting a little later and riding a little less distance. We'll be finishing at Ogawamachi Station. All climbs will be wait at the top (WATT).

INFO:
Meet Time: 7:30am
Meet Place: Family Mart (HERE)
Climbing: 1900-2100m
Distance: 115-125km
Route: HERE

Please, note the later starting time.

Hah, we were already worried and started making alternative plans. But this is better. I will be eagerly awaiting you at the spaceship, 7.50am.

Count me in as well. Looks like a nice ride.

I'm in!

Looks great Pete!

Been a while since I joined a TCC ride and am keen to do this ride for the first time. Weather looks perfect as well. Will also be at the spaceship by 7:50.

Keren

Awesome Pete!

I'll join this one too, same intersection at 7 then.

/Tobias

Thanks for posting, Pete!
I'll be joining as well.
The late starting time is perfect, for the extra time in the morning bed is so cozy these days....

See you all tomorrow morning.

Chikako

Hello, this looks like a great ride!

So I can gauge whether I'm at a sufficient level for a ride like this (Im busy this Saturday, in any case), could you tell me what gearing you go up the steeper climbs in? And, what speeds are you doing up the climbs?

Thanks!

Hello, this looks like a great ride!

So I can gauge whether I'm at a sufficient level for a ride like this (Im busy this Saturday, in any case), could you tell me what gearing you go up the steeper climbs in? And, what speeds are you doing up the climbs?

Thanks!

FYI, now that I'm on a compact, when I'm on the steeper stuff, I spend most of my time in 34x24 and 34x28. As for speeds my litmus test is the 10/10. I should be doing 10km/hr or better on a 10° grade. That being said, on my rides we nearly always do a wait at the top, so there is flexibility in how fast you need to be.

What sort of temps are we looking at up the top?

Are you taking a gillet for decents or something like that? Full finger gloves?

If tomorrow is like today, I'll wear a long sleeve jersey and lightweight full fingered gloves, not winter gloves. None of the descents are especially long. I don't own a gillet, but most likely will not be bringing a descending jacket.

FYI, now that I'm on a compact, when I'm on the steeper stuff, I spend most of my time in 34x24 and 34x28. As for speeds my litmus test is the 10/10. I should be doing 10km/hr or better on a 10° grade. That being said, on my rides we nearly always do a wait at the top, so there is flexibility in how fast you need to be.

I assume that you were running a double before?

I'm running a double and have heard some people say they would rather a compact for climbing, I'm used to it now and my climbing is coming along, so how do they compare in your experience Pete?

Thanks for the info, Yamabushi.
That should be ok: if there's a ride that I can fit in, timing-wise, I'd like to join. But, it may be more realistic for me to aim for next year.

Enjoy the ride.

I assume that you were running a double before?

I'm running a double and have heard some people say they would rather a compact for climbing, I'm used to it now and my climbing is coming along, so how do they compare in your experience Pete?

Yes, I had a full size crank previously, 52/39. I was a bit of a hold out about going to a compact, but since changing over, I've never looked back. I find I use more of my cassette now, where with the 52/39 I felt like I was predominantly riding on the inside portion. Additionally, I've had no problems with spinning out. The 50x12 is more than enough gear for high speed descents. If I need to go any faster than that, then an aero tuck is better. IMHO, living where we live and doing the rides that we do, the compact is the right tool for the job.

Thanks for the info, Yamabushi.
That should be ok: if there's a ride that I can fit in, timing-wise, I'd like to join. But, it may be more realistic for me to aim for next year.

Enjoy the ride.

You're welcome to join us any time. I imagine we'll be riding out in that area till at least the first or second week of December. I hope to see you then, or next spring.

Pete, I'll try again this week to see you at 7.30am at Familymart.

Back
Top Bottom