What's new

Ride Sat.May 3rd. Shiraishi, Jyomine to Jimbohara

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
Saturday, May 3rd: Another ride out the far side of Chichibu, this time Jyomine and a new descent down towards Lake Kanna.

INFO:
Meet Time: 7:30am
Meet Place: Family Mart (HERE)
Climbing: 2100-2400m
Distance: 140-150km
Route: HERE

Saturday, May 3rd. Forgot to put it in the title. Hopefully, the admin @TCC can add the day and date to the title for me.
Silly boy. Looks like @TCC has already done it.

I'll be the first to say "I'm in". WIll most probably be riding home too (or at least back to Ogawamachi) as I have an allergy to Honjo ;)

I'm also in! Will be taking it fairly easy this time on Chuck's recommendation. I'm looking forward to "getting used" to my new fit (bike fit that is)

Yup - me too. I will try to get up Shiroishi a little quicker this week.

Great ride yesterday. Beautiful weather for 95% of the ride. Was good to get out with @Mlac Peek but I'm glad it was him and not me pushing those gears up Shiraishi. Silly man ;)

We were reduced to four at the pizza place. Everything was going to plan until we reached the turn off near the top of Jyomine. @saibot wanted to take a photo from the top so he, @Andy in Tokyo and I continued the climb (what we though was another 10mins/200m vertical of climbing). @mwharam decided that he would skip the summit and head on down the original route. He said he would wait for us at the next vending machine as his need for a coke was greater than his need to see the summit. We carried on up the road only to reach the top, literally 45 seconds after leaving Martin. We took a few photos then headed back down. This is where things got tricky. Beneath the thick tree canopy, your garmins were struggling to keep up with our progress on the fast twisty descent. Two right turns, almost next I each other (one with a road closed sign) caught us out. We took the wrong one (should have taken the closed road option). After heading further and further off track, we decided to reroute and found our way back on to the right route. I'm actually glad that we took the wrong turn as the roads we took were amazing (even that crazy steep concrete path was fun). After getting back on the right route, we tried our best to find Martin but to no avail. Luckily he had the route on his Garmin and he is a big boy so we were pretty sure he could find his way back to the station.
Nearing Honjo, I told Andy and Tobias I'd be riding back to Ogawamachi. Andy decided to finish in Honjo (mainly due to the fact that he wasn't wearing his Rapha jersey this week. Everyone knows that a Rapha jersey gives you a performance gan of at least 20%. I'm sure he won't make the same mistake next time).
Tobias asked about the route back to Ogawamachi. I informed him it was a further 30km with little to no climbing. Ooops. I was a tad incorrect. As soon as we left Andy, the climbing started and it didn't stop for quite sometimes. I think we clocked a further 500-600m of vertical ascent on the ride back. Was all fun though. On the descent back to the station there was a freak rain storm. Hitting 45-50kph with the rain stinging our faces and the golden rays of the sun hitting our backs, it was quite surreal.
Turns out Ogawamachi was about 40km from where we left Andy. Oh well. I'm not a walking GPS unit ;)
Great ride guys.
@Yamabushi sorry you couldn't join us but thanks for the route. Was a beaut.

Andy decided to finish in Honjo (mainly due to the fact that he wasn't wearing his Rapha jersey this week. Everyone knows that a Rapha jersey gives you a performance gan of at least 20%. I'm sure he won't make the same mistake next time).

I'd say around 30%. Strava's drag-coefficent graph (currently in beta mode) is showing a substantial increase in turbulence combined with a loss in velocipedal momentum compared with last week's Rapha-clad ride. Lesson learned, I'd say.

Thanks for the company lads. It was great to get out with you all and I really enjoyed slobbering my way up Shiraishi turning that daft gear while @leicaman hummed tunes for me and whistled like he was out for an afternoon stroll on the beach. Catch you next time!

What? No pictures or videos! :eek:
yda7usu6.jpg

6u9u6uje.jpg

a2a9enyz.jpg

Video:
http://instagram.com/p/nh4iEGGhqv/

Good ride boys!

Never trust @leicaman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice photos @saibot! Unfortunately we forgot to take one of you running away from that butterfly like a little girl as soon as it took off.

Reactions: mau
It certainly was a beaut as @leicaman said. And I also got lost trying to follow my Garmin down from Jyomine, and so also ended up at Honjo.

Thanks for the company and hopefully see everyone on Saturday - another perfect cycling weather day if we are lucky.
Peter - hope your little one is feeling better

Back
Top Bottom