What's new

Ride SAT, May 25th - Sadamine, Jyomine to Honjo

Must have barely missed you, just turned into the Pizza place. Arima toge is a cracker! Food and some more elevation hunting...
Of course, Garmin turned itself off on the backside of Shiraishi, the famous "Avoid KOMs" function. Some solo exploration in greenline territory, basically navigating by compass and trying to get back on rt299 to cut through to Ome. Spent a couple of Km offroad with some mad gradients cursing that I wasn't on the CX bike. Must have scared those enduro bikers grinding up 10% on mud and rocks, but was not gonna stop for nothing.

Ended the day with around 150km and 3000m climbing including what wasn't tracked. Not TOITO, not Pete's tour, but a great day. Happy to finally know some good routes to Chichibu from the South...
Hopefully, everybody's ride was just as nice

Must have barely missed you, just turned into the Pizza place. Arima toge is a cracker! Food and some more elevation hunting...
Of course, Garmin turned itself off on the backside of Shiraishi, the famous "Avoid KOMs" function. Some solo exploration in greenline territory, basically navigating by compass and trying to get back on rt299 to cut through to Ome. Spent a couple of Km offroad with some mad gradients cursing that I wasn't on the CX bike. Must have scared those enduro bikers grinding up 10% on mud and rocks, but was not gonna stop for nothing.

Ended the day with around 150km and 3000m climbing including what wasn't tracked. Not TOITO, not Pete's tour, but a great day. Happy to finally know some good routes to Chichibu from the South...

Where and when did you start? I did Arima as well, and managed to join Pete's tour. Started in Ome at 8:45am, top of Arima by 10:30.

I've already talked to Norman about it. How would you describe the road condition of the Arima-toge (Chichibu side) descent? Debris, etc?

Just got home. Great riding with everyone today. Tobias is still out there making his way home to Tokyo. I finished the day with 214km and 2812m of climbing. Think he will easily break 250k. He even turned down my offer of lending him my bike bag. Think he was on a mission to break the 250 barrier. Had one convini stop on the way home which I think we both needed. Tobias said he felt like a zombie before the stop. That set us on our way. One think that we did miss was Pete's navi skills. The number of times we had to stop and check our iphones was embarrassing.

Thanks everyone, especially Pete and Tobias. Looking froward to the next one.

Boom… 260k :)

Awesome ride as usual! Many thanks Pete, Mark and everyone else.

Yeah, felt like a real zombie before our stop, weirdly when I was zipping past the cars 10k from home I felt absolutely phenomenal…. keeping way above my usual speed between traffic lights, or maybe I was hallucinating

Boom… 260k :)

Awesome ride as usual! Many thanks Pete, Mark and everyone else.

Yeah, felt like a real zombie before our stop, weirdly when I was zipping past the cars 10k from home I felt absolutely phenomenal…. keeping way above my usual speed between traffic lights, or maybe I was hallucinating
260??!!?? Great stuff. You seemed to get faster and faster the more Km's you put under your belt. That 299 up towards the yamabushi turn off was the hardest for me. Felt fine climbing yamabushi (especially as you got our location totally wrong. After telling me the big climb was coming up it was the best feeling to be told "oh no.....hang on...we are at the top" ;) )
I've updated the firmware on my garmin now. It seemed that everyone was having the same problems with dropped ANT+ signals. Apparently the new firmware has addressed the problem.

I've already talked to Norman about it. How would you describe the road condition of the Arima-toge (Chichibu side) descent? Debris, etc?

There is some debris in the upper half, but there were only about two locations where I had to brake because lack of a clean line. Maybe twice my front wheel would hit a tiny stone in a corner. I went down as fast as, so if you are descending with care you wouldn't have any problems. On tokyo side, there are some rideable gravel sections, where they are currently puttin new surface on...

There is some debris in the upper half, but there were only about two locations where I had to brake because lack of a clean line. Maybe twice my front wheel would hit a tiny stone in a corner. I went down as fast as, so if you are descending with care you wouldn't have any problems. On tokyo side, there are some rideable gravel sections, where they are currently puttin new surface on...

Cheers mate, thanks for the report!

Back
Top Bottom