What's new

Sat May 21st, Takao back roads

koribeyer

Speeding Up
May 29, 2008
Sat May 21st, Doshi michi to Takao back roads

Edit: I saw a glimpse of Fuji this weekend and would rather go out Doshi-michi to Yamanakako, return through Otsuki and backroads back to Takao time permitting. I'll throw up a new map soon.

Sound like a better plan?

Still leaving from Takao at 8am.

So, some of you may have heard... I'm leaving Japan in mid-June. I decided in January when riding through the winter night, though have kept it quiet until now. I'm going back to Portland for more cycling and to study nursing...

But that's neither here nor there.

I'm planning to lead a ride out next Saturday, leaving from Takao at 8am (way early for me...) The ride goes out over Otarumi, up and over rt 35 toward Otsuki, cutting through the golf courses if I can find the turn off (missed it last time I tried) and returning on the little side roads north of Rt 20 to Otarumi and back to Takao.

I will be riding my steel bike and will be fairly slow. However, I need to be on a train back to Tokyo about 4pm so I hope to make the full loop by then. We can stop for food after getting back to Rt 20. There is a 7/11 near Torizawa.

Beginners welcome... but keep up. It shouldn't be hard. Bring your own map just in case.

Hope to see some of you there!
(Also, I'm tentatively planning a ride on the 4th or 5th of June, too. But not sure on the route and of course we don't know about weather.)
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/23520464

<!-- Start MMF Embed Tool -->
<iframe id="mmf_blog_map" src="http://js.mapmyfitness.com/embed/blogview.html?r=335128549712536925&u=e&t=ride" height="500px" width="400px" frameborder="0">
<a href="http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/23520464">Rt 20 </a><br/>
<a href="http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/?location=Takao, Japan">Find more Cycling Routes / Bike Rides in Takao, Japan</a>
</iframe>
<!-- End MMF Embed Tool -->

Looks like fun. I was tempted to do a C2C ride that day, but I may go out that night, have not been on your route, and riding from Nikotama, I may be able to make a century out of it. Looking forward to it.

Have you done R413 to Mt. Fuji? I can't get much info on it. Thinking of doing something like that in June?

If there is interest in Doshi Michi, let's do that (this is why I'm crap at leading rides--I don't have super strong preferences).

8am leave Takao, over Otarumi, up Doshi michi to Yamanakako. If I don't mess up the turn, return through Oshino and that tunnel, 718 and 139 (this road unfortunately is crowded and slow) back to Otsuki. Rt 20 or backroads back to Takao depending on time.

Should be super pretty.

Another suggestion: If you can - take route 30 not route 20 back towards Takao. I think you have this marked as one of your back roads. It's a tiny bit longer and there's an extra 300m climb but there are no traffic lights and next to no traffic.

Enjoy :D

AW.

Either way, I'm in. I haven`t been out that way yet, just up and back to Lake Okutama, an Arakawa loop, and a round trip to Enoshima. A friend of mine also wants to join. We'll both ride up to Takao-san for the 8:00 meeting time. We'll be happy to follow where ever you lead the group, and if you are ''slow'' on your steel bike, that is probably better from my buddy, but if our paces are too different we can head back or do our own route, but I think we'll be fine.

Getting excited. Anyone riding to Takao from around Nikotama? I was thinking of going up the Tama River, and then turning left on Route 20, or taking a more direct route.

Turns out my buddy won't be able to make it, so just me. Just to confirm about the meeting place, Takao Station, not Takaosanguchi, and only one exit, easy to find you? and ready to roll at 8:00am? I'll be on a white Bianchi, wearing a black and orange Wiggle jersey.

I'm excited too!
Takao station, north exit (I think). There is a family mart and seven eleven on rt 20. I'll be outside the family mart with the beater bike (also a bianchi but the logos are all taped over) with yellow tires:D.

Leaving at 8am!

Kori I won't be abale to make this ride but I'm sad to hear that you're leaving. I really enjoyed following your blogs on your various bike travels. All the best and I hope everyhting works out for you.

Hey Kori...

Thanks for organizing today. It was awesome. Got back about 20 minutes ago and no issues. I had so much fun. Hope you have time to plan one more before you go.

Back
Top Bottom