What's new

Ride SAT, May 18th - Otsuki 5 Monsters (Climb, Climb, Climb - Happy, Happy, Happy)

Stormy

Speeding Up
Aug 2, 2012
Hi all,

this is the first ride I am posting and it is an exciting one. Something for the slow speed riders (aka climbing friends). I promise you will see amazing things and have burning legs.

INFO:
Style: WATT and there will be options to pull out if needed.
Meet Time and Place: 8am at Otsuki station - I will be taking the 7am Ltd express Super Azusa 1 from Shinjuku Station
Climbing: >4,500m (it could be >5,000m)
Distance: 145km
Route: Here

Important: The backside of Otone Pass is pretty rough (i.e. a few sections are ridable). So, pls bring a spare tire (and tubes, of course) just in case.

I will be pushing constant power at manageable speed. I am not one of the fast climbers but pretty endurant. Weather looks promising, i.e. not too hot.

Hope you guys are joining,
Norman

Great plan with nasty backside of Otoge!

Last year when I climbed from the backside, sidewall of my Conti GP4000S tyre was cut during climb and I rode slowly with flat rear tyre, including the long (but slow) downhill to Otsuki. After that ride I quit using GP4000S and switched to GatorSkins, never to return.

Unfortunately I can't join this Saturday, but wish you will have better luck than me.

Eugen

Great plan with nasty backside of Otoge!

Last year when I climbed from the backside, sidewall of my Conti GP4000S tyre was cut during climb and I rode slowly with flat rear tyre, including the long (but slow) downhill to Otsuki. After that ride I quit using GP4000S and switched to GatorSkins, never to return.

Unfortunately I can't join this Saturday, but wish you will have better luck than me.

Eugen

Damn. I've just ordered two conti 4000s from wiggle. I guess gator skins are stronger?

Damn. I've just ordered two conti 4000s from wiggle. I guess gator skins are stronger?
But they don't come in pretty colours :(

You mean the plural of GP4000 or the latest GP4000S?
The former I have never used, so can't say much (except the fact they come in colours, H-F Mike :D).
If you carefully stay away from roads with nasty debris, GP4000S should be fine IMO... just not good enough for THIS particular ride!

And watch out for bears! :eek: I ran into mine last year on the backside of Otoge.

Hi Norman
I would join you but the weekend is already reserved with some visits and family time.
Enjoy the ride

Sounds like you may find four legged company :eek:

This is a helluva ride. Even if RWGPS probably overestimates the climbing somewhat, it's going to be at least 3,400 m total. Can't join you as it's my brevet weekend.

Ok. Mission Complete. Changed the route a bit as to avoid the backside of Otoge. All in all 160km and 4,500m of climbing.

Amazing views of Fuji-san, little traffic (except on Route 20), a bit too hot for my taste, and fried legs :)

I buy them from you. I LOVE my 4000s. I know enough people who have problems with Gatorskin. So far, I had 2 sidecuts only with my Contis ever. Both in Japan, though. ;)

Let's have a guess; he knows a lot of people who have had issues with the Gatorskins getting sliced sidewalls easily.

From direct personal experience, no issues with punctures, but the protective webbing on the sidewall has a tendency to separate from the tire with too much UV.

From direct personal experience, no issues with punctures, but the protective webbing on the sidewall has a tendency to separate from the tire with too much UV.

Which is really a non-issue, since it doesn't affect performance of the tire at all. I'm on my 3rd gatorskin (rear only) and switched at around 8000-9000km. Thats two punctures in 20000km on Japanese roads including some really rough rindos. I'm sold...

Which is really a non-issue, since it doesn't affect performance of the tire at all. I'm on my 3rd gatorskin (rear only) and switched at around 8000-9000km. Thats two punctures in 20000km on Japanese roads including some really rough rindos. I'm sold...

I'm not having a go, mate, just sharing my experience. For the record, I like Gatorskins.

Back
Top Bottom