What's new

Ride SAT, June 29th - Tomin, Yanagisawa, Sasago-toge

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
** UPDATE **
Start point changed to Otsuki Station.

A week's extra notice for a reasonably big ride... we'll be starting at Otsuki Station and from there doing Matsuhime, Imagawa-toge, Yanagisawa-toge, Kamihikawa-toge, and finally Sasago-toge before descending down to Otsuki Station for the train home. FYI, there will be plenty of climbing, most likely over 3600m so consider yourself warned. Climbs will be WATT.

INFO:
Meet Time: 8:00am
Meet Place: Otsuki Station
Climbing: 3500-4000m
Distance: 125-135km
Route: HERE

I'll be taking the 6:09am train from Kanda Station that arrives at Otsuki Station at 7:48am. It appears the same train leaves Shinjuku Station at 6:22am. I'll try to be in the very first car at the front of the train.

If I decide to have a rest from all the deadlifting, I suppose I can grace you with my presence...

the toge between Yanagisawa and Sasago is named Kamihikawa 上日川峠 after the dam below of the same name.

I would, but just checked the trains...

2 and a half hours on the train, getting on at 5.20am, with FIVE changes, to get to Musashi Itsukaichi.

Nah. Sorry. Looks like a good ride though!

I'll just go hammering it 'local'.

You didn't say RSVP, mate.

I am fully intending to seriously think about joining you. Perversely I'm in it for the last two climbs; I've done the others before. Will you really W4MATT?

I would, but just checked the trains...

2 and a half hours on the train, getting on at 5.20am, with FIVE changes, to get to Musashi Itsukaichi.

Nah. Sorry. Looks like a good ride though!

I'll just go hammering it 'local'.

What? Trains? Surely a cyclist of your hardcore stature should be riding out to the start point, no?

Will you really W4MATT?

Good question! I'll send you a PM.

I'm off work from jun 27th to jul 3rd so will most probably be driving out to Nagano or somewhere similar (might hit up Norikura) and live out the back of my car for three or four days. If my plans change then I'll joining you guys but for now it looks like Nagano for me ;)

I'm off work from jun 27th to jul 3rd so will most probably be driving out to Nagano or somewhere similar (might hit up Norikura) and live out the back of my car for three or four days. If my plans change then I'll joining you guys but for now it looks like Nagano for me ;)

If you do the Nagano thing, let me know if you need any route recommendations.

Nice ride! 80% of it is the same as the Otsuki 4.5 we just did, except for Tomin no Mori instead of Matsuhime as the first climb and they are about the same elevation. Enjoy! :)

Nice ride! 80% of it is the same as the Otsuki 4.5 we just did, except for Tomin no Mori instead of Matsuhime as the first climb and they are about the same elevation. Enjoy! :)
I was actually thinking of attempting a solo Otsuki 9.0 this week if I didn't make it out to Nagano.

I want to do this, but I'd prefer to start (and finish) in Otsuki - That way, I can store any luggage in the coin-lockers there, and it'll save me from having to carry the bike-bag as well.
I'll be on the same train though, 6:09 from Kanda (6:12, Ochanomizu) at the front.
My plan is to be up & over Matsuhime, and down the bottom, where Rte.139 heads up Rte.18 for Imagawa-toge, by 9:45 - I reckon we'll both be passing by there at roughly the same time.
Even if I manage to be a bit further ahead at that point, I'm sure you'll catch me on the way up Yanagisawa-toge.
Looking forward to it! T

Sounds like a plan, Travis! We may make a quick pit stop in Kosuge at the bottom of Matsuhime just before Imagawa. Hopefully, we can connect with you somewhere between there and the top of Yanagisawa. Also, now that you mention it, we'll try to hop on the train at Kanda as well. See you there in the front of the train!

Back
Top Bottom