What's new

Ride SAT, June 29th - Tomin, Yanagisawa, Sasago-toge

j6s1.jpg

Nice! Go nuts, just uploaded it directly from the go pro. And with handle like yours, I think I'll leave the photo editing to you ;)

Is it a camera reference? I always wondered...well, not always but I wondered.

Is it a camera reference? I always wondered...well, not always but I wondered.
Yes, Leica is a rather well known German camera manufacturer. I have the Leica M6 and unfortunately only one Leica lens but they are a nice bit of kit. I personally prefer film cameras to digital but I think strapping my Tachihara 4x5 field camera (google it) to the bars for a descent wouldn't be quite as easy as the GoPro :)

awesome ride guys! just had the most painful shower of my life :)

No need for Tegaderm - the wife can get it by the ton at work but the best tonic for road rash is lots of vaseline over the area and then cover with cling film (saran wrap) - wash and replace daily. It's what my wife patches me up with when I crash and it heals very quickly and once on the pain goes.

Duo-derm is very good but only if the wound is deep - Used that on my knuckles and the deep gash in my shin after the crash at Makahari Crit and again heels very quickly.

It seems to make some sense, but vaseline and saran wrap? Really? I suppose you would need to change it a lot more frequently because it doesn't "breath", right?

You and your group must have cycled past us so fast that we missed you Saturday! ;)
We were delayed after some bike on bike interaction on the Tamagawa. :(
Though I did see some slow looking guys leaving the Tomin rest area as I arrived.... Was that you? :)

We were delayed after some bike on bike interaction on the Tamagawa. :(
Though I did see some slow looking guys leaving the Tomin rest area as I arrived.... Was that you? :)

lolz! If you had read properly, you'd see that we started in Otsuki not Musashi Itsukaichi. And, let's be honest here, everyone knows "delayed" is just a euphemism for riding slowly.

Thats the who
It seems to make some sense, but vaseline and saran wrap? Really? I suppose you would need to change it a lot more frequently because it doesn't "breath", right?

Thats the whole point it's to allow new skin to form under and not dry out and form a scab! Im not a medical practioner but this is what they do at the hospital my wife works at to all the Keirin riders that come it and what they do for me when im banged up. it works great and allows movement of the area without stretching or pain from cracking scabs.

But no it's not vaseline, but looks similar.

Thats the who

Thats the whole point it's to allow new skin to form under and not dry out and form a scab! Im not a medical practioner but this is what they do at the hospital my wife works at to all the Keirin riders that come it and what they do for me when im banged up. it works great and allows movement of the area without stretching or pain from cracking scabs.

But no it's not vaseline, but looks similar.

Thanks for the clarification. I understand that the goal is to keep it from drying out, but I would think you'd want at least a little transpiration. Perhaps not? Could you find out what ointment they use there?

My buddies in the US swear by the Johnson & Johnson 'tough pads'. Another often overlooked 'conbini remedy' is to use women's sterile pad with vaseline (as FE aptly notes). They allow the ooze to be absorbed without sticking. Saran Wrap seals in the wound and the ooze + sweat will actually kill the tissue faster than it heals, but if you don't have something hydrocolloidal, this is the next best thing as nothing hurts more (in my opinion) than a dried road rash scab breaking apart.

thanks forthe tips guys, I will give the ointment and saran wrap a go, fuck this shit stings hehe. My only other bike crash was in a race back home where the guy in front took a dive and his 53 ring pierced my thigh... much more blood involved but this is way more painful hehe

Just a gentle reminder to keep safe out there. Once of my customers took a spill yesterday having caught front wheel in a grate line. He smacked into the guard rail (construction barrier from sidewalk to road) and sliced his thigh to the bone. Result - 12 stitches and a broken hip.

Back
Top Bottom