Ride SAT, June 21st - Takashino & Ura Nihongi-toge

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
Tokyo (Nezu)
fudoushin.com
It's getting significantly warmer, so dialing it back a bit with a shorter less taxing ride. That being said, once we are out there, if the weather cooperates and people are feeling good, we can easily add on another climb or two.

INFO:
Meet Time: 7:30am
Meet Place: Family Mart (HERE)
Climbing: 1500-1700m
Distance: 100-110km
Route: HERE

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Asakadai, Saitama
Very nice ride today. A few of the regulars were missing but we headed out with five. Travis was trying out his new Campy Bora tubular wheels but only made it about 30km before picking up a puncture along the river. He had to ride home with his spare tub on. Note to self, "Don't ride Maxxis Forza tubs".

We continued as four but bumped into Owen at the Family Mart and he decided to join us. At the bottom of Shiraishi we said goodbye to riverboy AKA Wai Chan as he was frightened by those big scary mountains ;)

We decided to change the route a little and rode up Ono-Toge but Andy wasn't feeling it and decided to bail and headed back to the station. Owen needed to meet a man about a dog so he kept Andy company which left just myself and Aron. We stopped for pizza but due to a mix up we got three pizzas so Aron and I shared the third. We did Nihongi-Toge then dropped back down towards Ogawamachi before turning on to the 273 for the final climb of the day. We rode home from Tokigawa but the last 10k or so were tough for me as I hadn't eaten much since the pizza and my body was crying out for food. The constant headwind on the return certainly didn't help. All in all a great ride

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.tapatalk.com%2Fd%2F14%2F06%2F21%2Fahady6yt.jpg&hash=54d91c552db269de1a1a554e4add793d
Aron climbing Nihongi-Toge

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.tapatalk.com%2Fd%2F14%2F06%2F21%2F6ugyredu.jpg&hash=b9d2fa37faf194546ba78a5e4b2564f2

Andy suffering on this climb due to his one month off the bike

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.tapatalk.com%2Fd%2F14%2F06%2F21%2Fpy2y6uny.jpg&hash=653bb21f2bcf80c8649be6f793dfd27f

Owen and Aron riding through a lovely bit of forest in the big scary mountains.

Last edited:

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
I thought I might run into you guys, I left early ie 6am from the spaceship area. I had intended on riding a different route but my ride partner with the map couldn't make it so I just headed for known territory. A few sidehills later I ended at the top of the 172. Rode back down thinking I would run into you guys but ended up taking a few more side hills and rode home. It was beautiful day in the mountains, coolish breeze and slightly overcast. The headwind on the way home was not really appreciated though... Sorry no artsy pics of nobody on a bike to post. He he he

Dec 16, 2012
Tokyo
That was a grim ride. Wanted to go the whole way but as soon as we hit the first hill up to the start of Shiraishi my power evaporated quicker than Gary Glitter's part-time job as a school sports day photographer. It was like doing the first big ride of the year all over again.

Will hopefully be fighting fit for next weekend: just had a blood transfusion and have a course of "vitamin" injections lined up for next week.

Aron B

Maximum Pace
Mar 24, 2012
Nerima-ku, Tokyo
abeekman.nl
Good ride, although we were sorry @WhiteGiant has to turn around much earlier than expected.

Don't worry @Andy in Tokyo, we were riding much faster than usual. With the group more complete, I'm sure the pace up to the mountains will be leisurely again. I for one do like the extra 5 kph on average once in a while.

Roadworks on the backside of Nihongi-toge has finally been completed and it looks like an awesome decent. Climbing up was as gruesome as ever though.