What's new

Ride SAT, FEB 22 Tsukuba

Aron B

Maximum Pace
Mar 24, 2012
I'm gauging interest in riding to Tsukuba-san this Saturday. Coincidentally I was in Tsukuba yesterday for work and there was next to no snow in Ibaraki-ken, even on the mountain. The ride up to Tsukuba is 80-100km on flats, mostly along rivers or on quiet wide roads. The part up to Edogawa is a bit annoying, after that it's really nice. On Saturday there will be a considerable northern wind to ride against, so please bring your best drafting skills. It will be chilly too.

When we get to Tsukuba, I plan on taking a look at the ume grove, which should just be starting to blossom now. I think the ride up there will be the main part, for this early in the season I want to limit the amount of climbing. However we can adjust our plans once we get there. We can finish at Tsukuba station or Tsuchiura station.

I will post a route later. Riding up there is mostly this (h/t @Yamabushi).
Here's a route that we can do. It is a tad long, but we can bail out at any time to either the Tsukuba side or the Joban-line side.

INFO:
Meet Time: 8:00 am
Meet Place: Route 6 where it crosses the left bank of the Arakawa downstream
Climbing: 500-1000 m
Distance: 100-140 km

Alternative meeting point Pete's Family Mart at 7.15am.

Does anyone know a good way to get downstream on Arakawa to route 6, as I assume the roadworks on the right bank are still continuing?

Last edited:
Yes the roadworks are still in full effect on Arakawa. On your way down if you cross on the first bridge after the Toda draw bridge you have a (mostly) clear run right down to the port from there.

BTW I am interested in this ride, But am wondering about the run up Edogawa and roadworks?

I can't ride Saturday but I can do you a solid and ride up the Edogawa and scout it out for you tomorrow. Last time I was out there was minimal interference on the Tokyo side and nothing past the Ichikawa bridge on the Chiba side.

I'll be tagging along this one.
I've done close to nothing this year (100km since the beginning of 2014....), and am very much looking forward to Saturday.

Yes the roadworks are still in full effect on Arakawa. On your way down if you cross on the first bridge after the Toda draw bridge you have a (mostly) clear run right down to the port from there.
Great, we'll do that.

Would have loved to have joined you mate, however I have the Tokyo Marathon the day after. Have a good ride.

I'd have liked to have joined this (not sure if I could keep up with you guys, mind!), but can only do a long sesh on the Sunday I'm afraid. Hope you have a good one.

Would have loved to have joined you mate, however I have the Tokyo Marathon the day after. Have a good ride.
I know. Good luck! Hope the snow didn't interfere too much with your training.

I'd have liked to have joined this (not sure if I could keep up with you guys, mind!), but can only do a long sesh on the Sunday I'm afraid. Hope you have a good one.
Too bad. Hope to catch you next time.

OK, reconnaissance done.

Just after the 16km mark on your route there is a small patch of construction that means you can't stay on top of the bank but there is a path to the right, so no road riding. Well signposted and no bother apart from the couple of gates on the path but they aren't much to deal with.
Then later, just before you turn off the Edo river, there is another small area of construction, around the 23km mark. Again, well signposted and only a slight diversion down and up again before you turn right onto the tributary. Your map has you riding the road there but there is a path. I usually ride the path on the other side of that as it is smoother and there are some vending machines around your 26km mark.

OK, reconnaissance done.

Just after the 16km mark on your route there is a small patch of construction that means you can't stay on top of the bank but there is a path to the right, so no road riding. Well signposted and no bother apart from the couple of gates on the path but they aren't much to deal with.
Then later, just before you turn off the Edo river, there is another small area of construction, around the 23km mark. Again, well signposted and only a slight diversion down and up again before you turn right onto the tributary. Your map has you riding the road there but there is a path. I usually ride the path on the other side of that as it is smoother and there are some vending machines around your 26km mark.
Thanks man! Hope to see you soon on the bike.

Count me in.
I guess it will b pretty sufferable after a long break.
Sure, we'll keep an easy pace. Where are we meeting you?

Not that I want to alter your route tomorrow but if you ever need an interesting alternative to Route 6 to get from the Arakawa to Edogawa, this is the one I've been using recently with my HF rides. After the first first 500 yards the traffic is pretty quiet. You have to walk up a set of stairs at the 3.2 km due to an unfinished bridge, but the ride through the park at 9km makes it all worthwhile in itself. If you are coming down the Arakawa its only 1 km longer.

I won't be able to make it, adding up all the things I have to do and will have to do a short one tomorrow instead. Have a great ride though!

I posted an updated route.

We can't make it on Sunday unfortunately, and I'll be out of town for the two weekends after that.

Alright cool, well have a good one anyway. Looks like a good route. Might have to do it on Sunday solo.

Cheers

Not that I want to alter your route tomorrow but if you ever need an interesting alternative to Route 6 to get from the Arakawa to Edogawa, this is the one I've been using recently with my HF rides. After the first first 500 yards the traffic is pretty quiet. You have to walk up a set of stairs at the 3.2 km due to an unfinished bridge, but the ride through the park at 9km makes it all worthwhile in itself. If you are coming down the Arakawa its only 1 km longer.
That looks nice. I'll try it out next time, thanks.

I won't be able to make it, adding up all the things I have to do and will have to do a short one tomorrow instead. Have a great ride though!
Alright cool, well have a good one anyway. Looks like a good route. Might have to do it on Sunday solo.

Cheers
Got it. Good weekend to you too. We'll report back about the conditions.

Good start of the season ride today.
Thanks Toni for the company.

I enjoyed the ride up to Tsukuba (especially Tonegawa) under the sun, and the car-free Tsukuba circuit (yes, just now when there's some snow left).
The 160km totally wrecked me....there's much work to do to get back to the usual riding pace.

Aron might be reporting later, but we were a bit early for the plum blossoms.

Back
Top Bottom