SAT, AUG 4th - Shiraishi & Nihongi-toge

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
Tokyo (Nezu)
fudoushin.com
Travis and I will be heading out for a moderately paced ride this Saturday. Due to the heat, I've kept the route a bit shorter and have attemtped to keep us on shaded rindos and climbs as much as possible. We'll cycle up the Arakawa River to the first climb, Shiraishi-toge. From there, we'll continue up to the observatory, before descending down to Sadamine-toge. We'll continue the descent down the west side of Sadamine to the pizza and gelato place where we'll break for an early lunch. After lunch we climb back up Sadamine-toge and then traverse over to Nihongi-toge and ride the ridgeline for about 10k before descending into Yorii for the train back home. All climbs will be wait at the top (WATT).

INFO:
Meet Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: Family Mart (HERE)
Climbing: 1600-1800m
Distance: 110-125km
Route: HERE

If you aren't familiar with the Shiraishi-toge and Nihongi-toge, there will be lots of rindo's, greenery, climbing, and minimal traffic! We'll be finishing at Yorii on the Tobu Tojo Line so please, don't forget your rinko bag. Also, please note if possible there are a couple of rindos that I want to take a look at, so there is an off chance that we may alter the route a bit, but it shouldn't have a significant impact on the overall distance or amount of climbing.

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
I'm going that way too.... Hmm I was thinking of leaving about 90 minutes earlier... To join or not to join.....

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Kita-Ueno
Finally...

Shiraishi-toge from the steep side.
I can't believe I've never done it! I've always taken the Green-line to Shiraishi.

Thanks for posting, Pete.
>TOM G: Looking forward to riding with you once again.
>TheBlob: Anthony, hope you decide to join us too.

Travis

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
Tokyo (Nezu)
fudoushin.com
I'm going that way too.... Hmm I was thinking of leaving about 90 minutes earlier... To join or not to join.....
Pete - This looks good to me. See you at the Family Mart!

Tom
Shiraishi-toge from the steep side.
I can't believe I've never done it! I've always taken the Green-line to Shiraishi.

Thanks for posting, Pete.
>TOM G: Looking forward to riding with you once again.
>TheBlob: Anthony, hope you decide to join us too.

Travis
Great, I hope to see you all tomorrow morning!

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
I may meet you or not, I am going to try and leave about an hour earlier, from the top of shiraishi I'm heading back down the greenline to Hanno, either train or ride back from there.

If I'm at the spaceship I'll join you guys up shiraishi. But don't wait for me.

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
Tokyo (Nezu)
fudoushin.com
I may meet you or not, I am going to try and leave about an hour earlier, from the top of shiraishi I'm heading back down the greenline to Hanno, either train or ride back from there.

If I'm at the spaceship I'll join you guys up shiraishi. But don't wait for me.
Got it, Anthony! So we may or may not see you tomorrow, cheers! :D

Pete, this looks like another great ride, and hopefully there'll be no madness, so I'm going to to try join. Timing kinda depends on my erratic sleep patterns right now... if I'm woken up at a reasonable hour I'll meet you in the usual place, 7:10. Otherwise I may set out earlier myself, get some kip on one of the Arakawa benches and ask you to give me a nudge when you ride past.

Cheers
Steve

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
Tokyo (Nezu)
fudoushin.com
Pete, this looks like another great ride, and hopefully there'll be no madness, so I'm going to to try join. Timing kinda depends on my erratic sleep patterns right now... if I'm woken up at a reasonable hour I'll meet you in the usual place, 7:10. Otherwise I may set out earlier myself, get some kip on one of the Arakawa benches and ask you to give me a nudge when you ride past.

Cheers
Steve
LOL! Hope to see you in the morning!

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Kita-Ueno
Nice!

Once again, big Thanks! to Pete for organizing!
It was a great ride today - 6 guys, so a nice compact group, with pizza for lunch, and ice-cream mid-afternoon!
I felt much better in the mountains than I did last week - It must be the new shoes :D
BTW, the pictures are already up in the gallery! Peruse at your leisure.

Travis

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
Tokyo (Nezu)
fudoushin.com
I totally agree, Travis. It was great ride today! I rode some new rindos with a great group, set 2 new personal climbing bests (Shiraishi-toge & Sadamine-toge), and surpassed last years climbing total with a lot of time left in 2012! All in all, a great day!

A brilliant ride ! The slightly more relaxed pace was just right for this weather, and some of the rougher rindos gave me a full body workout. And a good laugh - always nice to talk nonsense on a ride ! Nice meeting you Tamir & Brian, and great to ride with you again Tom, a fellow survivor from Deej's Ome temple torture loop. And of course, it's always great to catch up with those two TCC veterans Pete and Travis and swap tips and advice.

Best catchphrase of the day runner-up... Pete: "I'm all about the elevation"
Best catchphrase of the day winner... Travis: "slap my balls" :D

Cheers
Steve

PS. Guess who I met coming in Narimasu station as I came out the ticket gates ... Chikako ! Wonderfully kimono-clad (actually the first TCCer I've seen in civilian clothes), on her way to a fireworks display, carrier bag full of drinks under her arm. And remember she is leaving at 5am tomorrow morning to ride to Yamanashi via Yanagisawa Toge...!

Chikako - you are one seriously tough lady :pray:

Chikako

Maximum Pace
May 6, 2012
tokyo
PS. Guess who I met coming in Narimasu station as I came out the ticket gates ... Chikako ! Wonderfully kimono-clad (actually the first TCCer I've seen in civilian clothes), on her way to a fireworks display, carrier bag full of drinks under her arm. And remember she is leaving at 5am tomorrow morning to ride to Yamanashi via Yanagisawa Toge...!

Chikako - you are one seriously tough lady :pray:
Surprise bumping into you yesterday, Steve!
Yes, I occasionally wear things other than jerseys and shoes with cleats.
And... although a sip of something would've been nice along with the fireworks, I stayed away from beer and osake for today's ride! Well, just for the record.

Chikako

Tamir

Speeding Up
Aug 19, 2011
Tokyo
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the great ride, guys. It was a pleasure to meet you all.
Thanks to Pete for keeping the pace down a bit and encouraging me to finish the ride. I'm glad I did.

See you next time.