What's new

Ride SAT, AUG 31st - Green line from Moroyama + Kasayama

Aron B

Maximum Pace
Mar 24, 2012
Even though Pete is out of town for a few weeks, that doesn't do anything for our cycling addiction, so here's a plan for Saturday. We'll do all of the Green Line starting from the south end, but throw in one additional descent and climb on the 299 side right at the beginning so we'll have some appetite for early lunch at the soba shop. After the Green Line we'll descend Sadamine and hop over Kasayama to Ogawamachi. It's still summer-shortish; people looking for mileage can join me on the ride back home, which should add about 60km.

INFO:
Meet Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: Family Mart (HERE)
Climbing: 3795/(RideWithGPS overestimation factor) = 2000m ??
Distance: about 110km
Route: HERE

If anyone knows anything about the descent that starts after 58km, please share your knowledge.

See you in the morning!

I've climbed and descended that slope from/to about the 58.5km mark (coming in from the road west of that point).

The descent is fantastic as there are very few sharp corners and you don't need to be on the brakes much.
However, there are lots of small stones and random crap on the surface, and a fair few parts where the surface is uneven - some look like they'll be drainage grates, but turn out to be random, rough dips in the concrete. You'll have to be very careful if its wet, but otherwise a little caution should see you through. There were no cars when I went at night.

Also, there is a strava segment there which puts the slope from route 299 upwards at about 13% but it's more like 4-5% with a couple of short, 10%+ sections.

If anyone knows anything about the descent that starts after 58km, please share your knowledge.
That's the Enchanted Forest. Beautiful but road surface can be wet. Watch out for random Nissan Cubes; might be picnic-ers along the river there.

Glad you're doing this, @Aron B

I should be in until the 299 then I'll either train or ride back depending.

I'll try to join, I'll have a bit of celebration to take care of on friday, but will try to take it easy, if i'm not on time count me as a no-show.

Would love to join but alas I am in the middle of moving house so this weekend will be all about boxes and throwing away stuff.

Would love to join but alas I am in the middle of moving house so this weekend will be all about boxes and throwing away stuff.

Where I come from we have a saying: "Moving house three times is as bad as it burning down once." Hope it goes more smoothly than that!

I'll be tagging along.
Hoping for a rideable weather and a not too wet road surface.....

Me too! Will do my best to be there!
Cheers! T

Great, hope to see you all tomorrow morning. I'm glad I chose a short route considering the 36 degrees forecast.

With the temperatures climbing and a stiff wind from the south I think I'll train home from Hanno. Wouldn't want any undue suffering on the way to work.

Should be flying up the Arakawa on the way out!

Aron - Wish I could join. Already made plans to do Travis' BOOB ride tomorrow morning. Have a safe, good ride.

We missed the turn for the first descent (frankly there was no proper road to be found) so descended off the 61, then turned right towards Takayama a.k.a. the donuts from hell, but took another right before that up a climb that even @WhiteGiant had never done before. Fun but some steep sections here and there. After soba, four of us rode the whole Green Line, skipped Kasayama but rode back to Tokyo. Hot, very hot! And if he hasn't sublimated, @Musashi13 will have done 230km today, bravo.

Thanks for leading, Aron. Had a great time and was lucky to get out of my fall with just minor scrapes. A better helmet that won't slip across my head is priority no.1. So hot on the ride back with Owen it was a bit dangerous. Also, I wish people wouldn't leave their yobs in the car, it never ends well.

Last edited:
Thanks for leading, Aron. Had a great time and was lucky to get out of my fall with just minor scrapes. A better helmet that won't slip across my head is priority no.1. So hot on the ride back with Owen it was a bit dangerous. Also, I wish people wouldn't leave their yobs in the car, it never ends well.
yobs?

good stuff today, thanks Aron! suffered like a monkey with no arms along the river back… thank god for that water tap, if the "sink" would have been a bit bigger I would have curled up in there! kudos to @Musashi13, I ended up with a mere 206km

Back
Top Bottom