What's new

Ride SAT, April 5th - Shiraishi & Pizza

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
First attempt at a pizza run for 2014 with a tried and true classic route. We'll cycle up the Arakawa, up and over Shiraishi-toge, descending for lunch at the pizza place, them back up Sadamine, descending the other side and then Nihongi-toge after that before finally ending at Ogawamachi Station. Please, note the slightly earlier meeting time.

INFO:
Meet Time: 7:30am
Meet Place: Family Mart (HERE)
Climbing: 1500-1800m
Distance: 115-125km
Route: HERE

Just FYI, two weeks ago there was still snow at the top of Shiraishi-toge. It's been warm since then, and I expect that it's cleared. If for some reason it hasn't, we'll descend back down Shiraishi and take an alternate backup route north to the Takasaki Line. See HERE for alternative route.

I'm in. Also up for riding home if anyone wants to join me (Gotta get those miles in the legs).

i want to join but its too far from my place..it will take me like 240km

Ill be there. Spaceship at 8:10?
I may be up for riding back depending on time

@wendy surely it can't be 240km. I was under the impression you lived near @GrantT . He often comes out riding and there is no way he clocks up 120-130km to get to the meeting point at the convenience store. I'm guessing it will be about 20km on top of Pete's estimate above.

@theBlob better make it 7:55. They usually take about 30mins from the convenience store to the spaceship but have been known to do it in 25.

from my house to start point its about 30 km..
plus the route. 120km
then from ogawamachi to my house is. 78 km

@wendy, I know you are not familiar with riding on trains yet.

I suggest you get one of this or if you want a high quality customized one, you can contact Jules (fairmean) who is a member of this forum.

@wendy If you are a bit worried about riding the train in your bike gear it's totally fine, and most people in the group will be riding it with you. I almost always got the train home and was fine walking with my bike in full cycling gear through Shinjuku station. You just need a bike bag (like the link I sent before), and rubber cleat covers like these are also a good idea.

1 st im not familiar with the trains..
2nd the bikebag..
i cant put budget on bike bag at this moment..since i wanna buy a hard case..
i do really want to join...but im poor on trains since im not riding it...

1 st im not familiar with the trains..
2nd the bikebag..
i cant put budget on bike bag at this moment..since i wanna buy a hard case..
i do really want to join...but im poor on trains since im not riding it...
If you want you can use two big 90 liter gomi bags and tape. Best way to get familiar is do it once.

Probably not going to make this ride although I had such a great time last ride. Happy trails!

thanks john ill think again..someone will give me a bikebag..the question is if i can get it before saturday morning..

Bike bags are all of 3000yen. What a budget buster!

I'm in! Might have to skip the last climb, though, depending on the time. Will bring the Contour so @saibot can be in a video for once!

Back
Top Bottom