Ride Sat 7th Feb -The Enveious ride

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Asakadai, Saitama
Another easy ride out to the lower mountains around Tokigawa and Ogose. Pace will be reasonable. Climbs will be WATT within reason. Weather is looking pretty good at this time. I may ride home also if the weather holds.

INFO:
Meet Time: 7:30am
Meet Place: The Spaceship
Climbing: 1500-1700m
Distance: 101km from the spaceship
Route: Here

Andy in Tokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 16, 2012
Tokyo
Excellent stuff with two new Scandinavian faces, @Chrisisism and @Tuomas, together with @leicaman and the irreplaceable @saibot on his fancy new wheels. We had some snow, ice and even a gravel section on today's route, which made a nice change. Thanks to our impeccable riding skills nobody fell and nobody had to get off and walk. Not even once.

We also found a very nice little pizza place for lunch in Ogose, which was very much welcome and will have to be revisited.

@Tuomas headed off early after putting in a great effort, while the rest of us rode back rather than take the train. It was the longest ride of the year for me at 177km, and boy was I feeling it in the final 10km. Endurance is something I need to work on this year, that's for sure. There wasn't even a customary tailwind to get us down the Arakawa.

So yeah, top ride, and I look forward to seeing @Chrisisism and @Tuomas out with us again.

And now for the selfies. First up, Comissioner Gordon signals @Tuomas, or to be more precise, his alter ego: Xenophanes (noted for his monotheism and regarded as a founder of the Eleactic school):

@saibot and @leicaman debate the pros and cons of Jordan's involvement in the US-led campaign against ISIS, and what it means for the Middle-East as a whole:

@leicaman pegs it round the bend like a shaved cheetah in spandex:

The gents stop for a sherry and review the latest news pertaining to the repeal of the Corn Laws:

saibot

Maximum Pace
May 29, 2012
Taito
good stuff today! Bit more climbing than I thought, and definitely more than you usually get in feb. Although we been riding in that area for 2years we still can ride new roads in pretty amazing.

Lovely to have some new nordic people with us, great meeting @Chrisisism and @Tuomas! Looking forward to riding with you both again, It's been a while since I could speak Swedish on a ride.

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Asakadai, Saitama
Great ride with some new faces today and a few of the old ones too. As others have said, we faced a mixed bag of terrain today including ice, snow, gravel and even tarmac. One member, who shall remain anonymous, was most pleased that he could test his brand new zillion dollar carbon wheels out on the gravel. We were all very Enveious of him . It was a route I had not done before but I was very pleased with the result of aimlessly clicking on the ridewithgps map at midnight on Friday. There was a reasonable amount of climbing (My garmin totalled 1700m of elevation gain), with all the climbs being pretty short due to staying in the lower mountains (I think we topped out at 400m).

@Tuomas put in a gallant effort and decided to head back home after the first climb.

@Chrisisism and @saibot taught me to two things about Sweden. I now know that the Swedish language is just a series of different grunts and that the climate is in fact tropical. I very much enjoyed watching the Swedes perform their "Bambi on ice" show for us (Although @Andy in Tokyo sympathised with them and decided to join in).

Thanks for the great ride guys. Hope to see you all on the next one.

And now for some selfies

bawbag

Maximum Pace
Mar 20, 2013
Tokyo
@Andy in Tokyo - rocking some pretty hardcore saddle to bar drop I see. How's it been adjusting to that? Just got the fork cut on mine but as soon as I've gotten used to riding something so...modern, I'm probably going to be lowering it down to the same as my steel bike.

Andy in Tokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 16, 2012
Tokyo
@Andy in Tokyo - rocking some pretty hardcore saddle to bar drop I see. How's it been adjusting to that? Just got the fork cut on mine but as soon as I've gotten used to riding something so...modern, I'm probably going to be lowering it down to the same as my steel bike.
You'll probably be okay as long as your general bike fit is good. For me the transition's not been too bad at all, which surprised me as at the end of each ride I was expecting to have to be winched off the bike like a morbidly obese Jeremy Kyle guest. The only pain I've had is in my right shoulder, which can get pretty stiff. This only happens on long rides though, and didn't surface until well after the 130km point today. This is more to do with not doing much in the way of long distances recently than with fit, though: the length of time it takes for this to occur has been increasing over the past few weeks.

FYI I've not had any issues with back, neck or knee pain.