What's new

Ride Sat 30th Ride - Route undecided yet

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Hi all

Just thought I'd let you know that I will be riding out to the mountains again this Saturday on a ride very similar to Pete's usual rides. I haven't planned a route yet but I'm guessing it will include a few climbs (2000m or so) and be around 140-150km. I'll hopefully get a route uploaded tonight.

I realise that most of you are riding on Sunday in Chiba so I might be riding on my own. If you fancy it, the pace will be similar to Pete's rides and climbs will be WATT (Within reason).

EDIT- Ok, here is the route. It's a pretty light 133km from the spaceship. If I'm not mistaken, the route takes us past the Pizza place so it would be rude not to stop for one. If you fancy doing more, we can head back on the 294 towards Sadamine, climb Sadamine then descend Shiraishi then back over the 273 to Ogawamachi. Depends how good we are feeling.(Here is the longer route)

Meeting at 7am at the spaceship (Can do 7:30 if people prefer a later start..I'm easy)

Please note that the ride I have planned finishes at Yorii but it would be just as easy to finish at Honjo if it is easier for you.

Big big thank you to Pete (@Yamabushi) as it is his route that he has so kindly let me use. Cheers mate. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Where do you reckon you'll be setting off from?

I was thinking of going from suginami to do the okutama loop and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live up in Saitama so I'll be heading up the arakawa then riding over to Tokigawa the into the mountains.

Looking forward to it!
Will wear my full-fingered gloves this time.
See you there! T

I will probably join, I have a friend from abroad over tonight, but if we can keep the alcohol intake limited I should be good.

Hope we can finish (waiting for) our pizza without cooling down completely this time. If you want to avoid doing the same climb as last week (the 361 up the Nihongi ridgeline), we can try the so-called "backside of Nihongi" which is two turn-offs to the right earlier, at about 75.8km. They were doing a lot of roadworks earlier this year, so it should be very smooth (but steep!).

With the cold nights I think there's a serious chance of frost on the road, everybody please be careful.

I will probably join, I have a friend from abroad over tonight, but if we can keep the alcohol intake limited I should be good.

Hope we can finish (waiting for) our pizza without cooling down completely this time. If you want to avoid doing the same climb as last week (the 361 up the Nihongi ridgeline), we can try the so-called "backside of Nihongi" which is two turn-offs to the right earlier, at about 75.8km. They were doing a lot of roadworks earlier this year, so it should be very smooth (but steep!).

With the cold nights I think there's a serious chance of frost on the road, everybody please be careful.
Hope you can make it mate. That climb sounds good. I'll check it out tonight. Good call about the frost. All descending will be done at a slow pace.

Not sure if there will be anyone turning up tomorrow morning at the spaceship, but I will be there from 7am and will probably hang around until 7:10 if nobody is there. I'll check this forum from the spaceship in the morning so if you are running late, drop me a message.

Thanks to @GrantT and @Aron B for coming out yesterday and riding an amazing route. Big thanks to @Yamabushi for spending the time creating the route and letting me steal it ;) . It was probably one of my favourite routes. Sorry that @WhiteGiant wasn't feeling his usual self and had to turn around. It's a wise man who listens to his body when it needs rest.
The usual suspects were all missed. Hope you can all come out and play next time.
Thanks to John and Aron who pulled me back to the station when I thought the world was caving in. That last 30km was probably the hardest I've ever had to do (even though it was mostly flat) but it was worth it.

Yeah, great ride. Especially the descent from the Nihongi-ridgeline to Yorii (361) was absolutely stunning. There were still roadworks on the climb up to Nihongi, you know, @saibot's favourite, supposed to be finished at the end of February. Since they left out most of the speedbumps, we're looking at some superb descending next spring.

Thanks to John and Aron who pulled me back to the station when I thought the world was caving in. That last 30km was probably the hardest I've ever had to do (even though it was mostly flat) but it was worth it.
To put this in context, since he's training for the Tokyo marathon, @leicaman stops eating after lunch, completely bonks, and then suggests to add another leg to the planned route. This is what we call "a hobby".

Back
Top Bottom