What's new

Ride Sat 30 March Hilly Hakone Fast Ride

AlanW

Maximum Pace
Jan 30, 2007
Planning a re-run of a TCC classic training loop (with a little extra) from Odawara on Saturday.

Odawara - Ashigara - Mikuni - Yamanakako - Kagozaka - Nagao - Odawara

Here's the route
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2258340

This is intended to be a fast ride and good fitness is needed to maintain speed on the steep climbs of Ashigara and especially Mikuni. Ignore the ridewithgps elevation; actual gain is about 2,600m over 115 km. We will try to regroup at the summits but we will not wait more than a few minutes. So, make sure you know the route :) Short conbini stop at Yamanakako.

Departing Odawara west exit at 8:45. Let me know if you're interested.
AW.

After some training/orientation in Tokyo, there's a good chance our older daughter will be working in Odawara/Kanagawa. I hope to do something like this on a visit someday.

Gosh, I wish you were doing these on Sundays! Anyway - you'll have a chance to let Naomi QOM everything in sight!

I feel torn between this and Pete's ride, but I am not fit enough for your 'fast' pace, Alan!

Also the idea of attacking Azami is starting to tempt me recently... I want three Saturdays a week!

Tough conditions today! Eugen met us at the station (wearing shorts and without a jacket!!!) and we set off towards Ashigara toge. No rain and the road surface was dry, but heavy clouds looked very threatening. A quick regroup at the summit, Naomi and I suited up for the decent and we rolled downwards through the chilly air. Next was Mikuni and again we could see clouds enveloping the upper slopes. Sure enough, above 800m we were well into the cloud, visibility dropped to a few metres.
Another "no hanging around" regroup and we sped off towards Yamanako. Saw some gents with metal detectors on the way which they probably needed to relocate their car in the gloom.
Pit stop at the combini next to the lake with hot coffee was very welcome, as the temperature had fallen to 2 C.
Over kuwazakatoge and we began the descent to Gotemba. Visibility was terrible and we took it very cautiously! My glasses became more and more opaque as droplets built up. Eventually we dropped out of the clouds to our great relief.
As we were all quite cold and tired, we took Otome toge instead of Nagao toge. The thought of hot pizza at Odawara spurred us on, and as we descended the temperature finally started edging upwards. Still, only 7 C at Odawara by the time we arrived.
We almost embraced the pizza oven at the Hakone Bakery, but had to be satisfied with hot food and drinks to finish.
Really enjoyed this tough ride!

Had a great time, thanks Alan & Naomi.
The course, combined with your fast pace, was already tough enough for me (thank you very much), and on top of that, it was my own poor choice of clothing that made the ride even more tough.

Do I want to do it again? Sure! :)

Back
Top Bottom