Ride Sat 28th Nov - Yamanaka-ko via some hills

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
Riding out to Yamanaka-ko for some (hopefully) clear views of a snow-capped Mount Fuji with @koya_hijiri. Route will be mostly uphill with a few larger hills, followed by almost 40 km downhill to Takao and a relaxing train ride home.
Meeting at the Lawson near Yanokuchi Station (here) at 9:00 am.
Lights are recommended, and a layer to stay warm on the 40 km descent.
Route

Last edited:

TorC

Maximum Pace
Sep 4, 2015
I fancy joining this ride, although I may need to cut for home quite a bit earlier. See you at 9am. cheers, Tor

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
Hard one today. TorC couldn't make it then koya_hijiri and I got caught up in crappy traffic on Route 20. Reached Yanokuchi 20 minutes late, but by some massive chance bumped into Lupo who was up for a ride out West. We started out on the narrow river path with Lupo dropping his usual hammer, leading to an emergency brake situation and koya crashing into the back of me, de-truing his front wheel. Luckily, where was a Y's Road (府中多摩川店) just 2 km away, which fixed it up nice and proper. Lupo had already left us though, off to smash some land speed records I guess. That left two of us, and 160 km left to ride. koya was tired after a hard week, and only spurned on by the promise of a clear view of her royal highness Mt. Fugee from the lake. First few hills went okay, but last two Cat 2 climbs before the lake turned into torture for both of us. But, we soldiered on and saw the crap out of that shit.

After that, we hammered the 40 km downhill (including a few short hills) at 38 km/hr average, and finally arrived at Takao station where we each slurped up a manly portion of hot + salty 'oden'.

Last edited:

koya_hijiri

Maximum Pace
Jan 30, 2015
Waseda, Shinjuku-ku
Yah. Woof.

You know those days when you get on the bike and just know--from km 0--that you have no legs at all? Well if you're lucky, on those days you're out for a 50km recovery spin. This was, well, not one of those. From (above mentioned) descents in the darkness that fell firmly into the "hold my beer" category, to climbs that were more at home in the "hold me, please" category, it was a real E-word ride.

I'm of two minds here, because while I most assuredly slowed poor old @GrantT down once or twice, I know that between the two of us we accomplished more than either of us would have individually on the day. All in all it was what you might call "edifying."

As for our photographs, mine look exactly like the one posted above, but worse.