What's new

Sat, 22nd - Otsuki big loop!

Consumption for this type of ride is quite different than , say, an extended TT or subsequent marathon (run). You need to get carbs in very quick when the door is open - and generally that's only about 10-20min after you peak the hill. Every exertion profile requires a different fueling technique.

@Saibot - these are 'comfort foods' and will hit the spot quickly , but also cause serious fluctuation in blood glucose and also divert the blood supply for digestion (high fat and starches) when you need it most for climbing. When I see riders eating like this, I know I will be able hit them very very hard with just a few false attacks. Their gut will be spinning circles. (No offense, Gunnar) I've eaten the same (and do / done the same) so it comes not only from experience , but real experience.

Personally I favor more liquid carbs on this type of 'tempo' ride and always think, 'wow, I wish we had this stuff back in the day!' On longer, LSD or enduro rides, then slower burn foods feel pretty good. Then I favor the bars, dried fruits, nuts or whatever. The Onigiri is my nod to the 'savory' category. High GI, filling and the small addition of tuna, umeboshi or whatever just gives me a nice 'I've eaten ' feeling. Since the descents we had were quite long and lower effort, adding in the solid foods at this point made sense.

In a real race of this type, I'd say most riders will be strictly on gels and drinks. FE?? How did you feed in Cameroon? Or other rouleur road races? Might see a banana tossed in or a couple of dried apricots. But maybe no powerbars or such 'hard' foods.

I did get well into the soda crackers after the HR 5th stage and the long gruelling C'me du Bonnet climb... I felt utterly saturated by sweets (the supplements they had at the refresh area tasted either like washing up soap or sludge-syrup) and running low on SIS and H5, I needed 'something' to cut the sweet muck out of my system. Darn , I was dreaming of onigiri at that point! The french equivelant was bagette sandwich - I tried that - and just felt I dropped an anvil into my gut.

Back
Top Bottom