What's new

Ride Sat 16th April - Going somewhere

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Hi all

We are heading out for a little ride around the mountains of North Saitama tomorrow morning (sorry for the short notice).
I'll most probably ride back to Ogawamachi or I may ride back home at a push.

Meeting time -7am at the spaceship
Distance - 197km to Ogawamachi or about 260km return to the spaceship.
Elevation gain - Around 3000m give or take (never believe what RwGPS tells you)
Pace- Clippity clop

Route is here

If you are going to join, please let me know otherwise I won't be at the Spaceship at 7 (I'll take another route up the river).

I'll join for the first bit too. Will probably go straight down from Shiraishi and take the train back from Kumagaya. That's 100 km exactly. Last week I made the bad decision to cycle back from Kumagaya for an extra 50 km against a nasty headwind. @leicaman, is your usual spot before or after where I was waiting last week? I'll be in that spot again at 7:15.

I'll join for the first bit too. Will probably go straight down from Shiraishi and take the train back from Kumagaya. That's 100 km exactly. Last week I made the bad decision to cycle back from Kumagaya for an extra 50 km against a nasty headwind. @leicaman, is your usual spot before or after where I was waiting last week? I'll be in that spot again at 7:15.
My spot is a little before your spot. Aron's spot is the first spot. Aron will pick me up at my spot at 7:10 then we'll pick you up at your spot at 7:15 . I should be easy to spot as I'll be wearing bright clothing ;)

Great ride yesterday. The weather was just about perfect. I met up with @dazzy.b and @Aron B at the usual spot then we rode up the river into a gentle headwind. We rode up to the bottom of Shiraishi then parted ways. They rode up towards Ono toge and I turned right to climb Shiraishi. Hope you guys had a good ride. For the past few weeks I've decided to put a bit of an effort into one climb per ride. This week I hit Shiraishi. My legs felt OK but not great. Lots of alternating between sitting and standing but I was very happy with a PB on this climb. I'd like to shave at least 1 minute off that time by the end of this year.
This left my legs pretty jellified for the testing the ride though. Not good when it's a 230km ride and you are meeting Mr.Freshlegs who took the train out to Chichibu to meet you.
I met up with @saibot near Chichibu and headed up to the north west of Saitama, and hit a few roads we haven't done before. Great route that I strongly recommend (although one of the descents was a debris nightmare...... I managed to slash my front tubular on that descent but luckily it held on until I got home).
The ride was very similar to last week but with a little more climbing. I ended up with 3600m of elevation gain. Very good to get the legs used to climbing.

And now for a couple of selfies

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Great time! Great pics as usual.
Looking forward to getting in that area again!

What Mark said.

Pitty I missed @dazzy.b and @Aron B but these late mornings taking the train out has me feeling oh so good!

Little fast cut of yesterdays adventures

While I have fairly little understanding about what the fuzz is about regarding the "Orangina" soft drink, I did stock up on this for the last climb of the day. A boost of energy for every piece, recommended
File 4-17-16, 18 19 05.jpeg

Hope you guys had a good ride.
Yes thanks. @Aron B was kind enough to wait for me at the top and guide me all the way back along the mystical Green Line down through Ogose to home. 130 km for me was just right. Thanks for sheltering me from the wind and keeping a good pace I could maintain all the way home Aron. @leicaman blending in nicely with the cherry blossoms in @saibot's video.

Yeah, it was just right. The Ono valley was very pretty, as was the descent to Ogose. Not too much wind on the way home. Back by 13.30h for lunch at home with 145km on the clock is really nice.

Back
Top Bottom