What's new

Ride Sat 11th Oct: Rindo Random Veering

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Likelihood of getting lost is 100%
All climbs are WATT (wait at the top), or GAFAYC (get as far as you can) on the dead end rindos
Pace on the non-dead end roads will be greater or equal to TCC North Chapter group ride speeds (around 30 km/h or so on the flat).

Time: 7:30 am
Place: Lawson here
Climbing: 1,500 to 3,000 m depending how far you get up the dead end rindos
Distance: 100 to 130 km depending (ending at Isehara Station regardless)
Max. Route: link

Last edited:
I'll be riding with a bunch of monkeys over the weekend (so not much difference to any other weekend then ;) )

Have a good one

That looks like great fun but I don't think I'm tough enough at the moment

That looks like great fun but I don't think I'm tough enough at the moment

All the big climbs are dead-end rindos, so I'm thinking it's possible to just go as far as you like on those (or until faster riders overtake you coming back downhill). If you're getting over an illness no worries.

Looks good. I showed up at 7:30 on the dot and waited 10 mins before deciding to continue on solo. What happened? What part of the logistics did I miss?

Looks good. I showed up at 7:30 on the dot and waited 10 mins before deciding to continue on solo. What happened? What part of the logistics did I miss?

Sorry about that. I was 15 minutes late to the starting point. These rides aren't necessarily that well-attended (2 on the day, including me), so it's a good idea to let someone know you are coming just in case the ride organiser is not organised enough to arrive on time.

No worries at all. I thought it was something like that. There were lots of locals there though. Seems like a popular spot.

Belated rindo review just in case someone is interested. And you should be for the amazing selfie opportunities if nothing else (there is nothing else).

First was 奥野林道 (Okuno Rindo). It's paved for the length of the linked Strava segment, and continues un-paved at the end of that (MTBers welcome). The first 2 km is steep (up to 15%?) concrete slightly broken up, the rest is surprisingly good quality asphalt. Road was littered with many, many stones and riding was difficult in places, perhaps because a typhoon had just passed through - though who knows how often the road gets cleared. Worth it for one particular spot near the top that makes for an amazing selfie.

Second was 早戸川林道 (Hayato River Rindo). Okay asphalt all the way up with quite a bit of stone/rubble on the road in places, as shown on the video. River is a popular place to fish, which means more cars than you'd expect but also a cleaner rindo than you'd expect. Continues un-paved at the end of the linked Strava segment (MTBers welcome). Probably spectacular when the leaves turn (late October/early November), still worth it the rest of the year.

Third was 本谷林道 (Hontani Rindo), a turn off near the start of 塩水林道 that was attempted but aborted due to a landslide near the start that covered most of the road (actually easily passable off the bike - but could not be arsed by then). Back to Hontani Rindo, it's a mixture of average asphalt and okay concrete, with the main problem being shit-tonnes of rubble on the road, which I can't see anyone cleaning up anytime soon since the road goes nowhere and it's falling apart (see above photo). An interesting ride in a "if I crash they will never find me" kind of way. Selfie opportunities limited to the "what the hell am I doing?" variety.

Last edited:
Thank you. I recently took unsuspecting half-fasters on Tōnan-rindō, which you told us about, starting the wrong way up a footpath. Everyone was really happy about that ;-)

And I loved the ride around the edge of the lake you told us about, when I did it a few months ago. More Miyagase meanderings.

Is the Okuno-rindō as lumpy as its Strava elevation profile suggests?

:) As long as they didn't miss out on the very steep concrete section near the start.

The steep concrete part of the rindo lasts for about 2 km, but the rest is a relatively steady gradient of maybe 6% at most, so that part of the profile is completely wrong.

Back
Top Bottom