What's new

Sarah Outen hit by storm

Simple, that she should enjoy her very brave and wonderful adventure, but not expect the tax payers of Japan or any other country to pick up the tab when it all goes pear shaped. If that is the case.
Judging by the comment section of several British newspapers, Im not alone!

Same goes for the herds of mountaineers "rescued" at great expense on the slopes of Japan`s peaks every year. Should be a sign at the bottom saying " Its a mountain, its dangerous... you have been warned and will be charged for rescue."

Well you finally made your point but I disagree. Firstly the comment section of any daily paper is hardly an idicator of reasoned thought but that's another issue.
Better put the same sign in any coastal town subject to possible tsunami and anywhere within a 120km radius of a nuclear facility. I think the occasional sea rescue is not beyond the means of a moden society to pay for, after all the same tax payers are perfectly happy paying for coast guard ships travelling to Antartica killing whales. Whale bacon or human lives, which is worth more?

As others have said, pretty sure in Japan you pay for rescues off mountains. Have heard anecdotes about guys refusing a heli ride and hobbling off mountains on broken ankles to avoid the bill...

war story

By the way - what is the best way to get assistance if you're out in woods here riding and have an accident? Thought about that today as I was riding solo and if something should happen - who do I call? If you're really messed up do they have medi-lift services in Japan? Who coordinates this? Obiously the keitai reception is not so great in many areas, thus , a 'buddy' or passerby would need to reach some reception point to call. ANy other options? Should I be carrying a few hanabi sticks with me? Orange smoke?

Maybe 16-17 years ago I fell out in the mtns. This was pre-keitai era. It was on a ride up to a dam (an out & back course, crashed on the way down). I still don't remember what happened**, but I just sat in the road and eventually a dam worker drove up. He asked if I wanted a ride somewhere, I tried to get up, but was too banged up and couldn't even begin to stand. He went back down the road a few km to a phone and called an ambulance (and wife).

As a dam worker, he knew exactly where I was and could easily explain it to the ambulance. I would have had trouble doing that, had it been a buddy.

As long as rescue costs are being discussed, ambulance rides are free here. True, there are no paramedics on board to treat you, but they are free. So if in doubt, call for one.

**Hip bone split open, one forearm bone split at the elbow (I ate for a month with my non-dominant hand). Some, but surprisingly little blood. Two surgeries for the hip--one to wire it shut, then one to remove the wire.... :eek:uch:

Yeah but I am sure the point of an adventure is doing it, not making it as difficult as possible. You call yourself a cyclist but the pioneers of the sport would laugh at you having brakes, gears and hydrating on the ride. No doubt you can ride further and faster than they could and that is surely the point of humans stretching their limits.

I might call myslef a cyclist but am quite sure they didn't call themselves cyclists!:D Anyway it was merely an observation that real adventure the kind that spread people all over the world almost doesn't exist anymore. Going without any safety net is real, everything else is a holiday.

The fact that modern gadgets exist make such adventures possible. Even these days it's still possible to be the first to do something. The 73 year old lady climbing everest had sherpas waiting with extra oxygen to help her team make the summit but I'm sure Tenzin and Hilary would still salute her efforts.
Not quite in the spirit of Mallory et al but still mountaineering.

Modern gadgets don't make things possible, they just make it easy(er). And as for granny well, if went pear shaped there was no helicopter flying in to rescue her. Seriously well prepared dudes die or lose didgets up there all the time.

I've gone through the transition of minimal communication (hike out or die) to over communication (GPS trackers and keitai). Somehow the experience is about the same. Never think about consequences until they need dealing with. And then, use everything in the toolbox possible. Had a few stories to live and tell on both land and sea. Adventure is great until it kills you. But even, then, no reason to avoid it.

By the way - what is the best way to get assistance if you're out in woods here riding and have an accident? Thought about that today as I was riding solo and if something should happen - who do I call? If you're really messed up do they have medi-lift services in Japan? Who coordinates this? Obiously the keitai reception is not so great in many areas, thus , a 'buddy' or passerby would need to reach some reception point to call. ANy other options? Should I be carrying a few hanabi sticks with me? Orange smoke?

I bought a Spot Connect with the purpose of using while I was offroad motorcycling (where having passer-bys are hard to come by). I never activated it, as I didn't really do much offroad since then. Aside from the purchase of the device, you need to pay for a subscription (100 bucks a year or so, i forget).

It connects to a smartphone so you can input things. I wonder if maybe sarah is using something similar. It's not very big, though I don't think i'd mount it on a bicycle, perhaps carry it in a backpack.

Of course you also get the standard Spot tracker functionality of being able to record your route and have family/friends watch it (e.g. if this stops moving for more than 24 hrs call for help).

I might have one for sale if you are interested... :) been gathering dust by my coffee table for a couple years now....

Good on yah Mike. I hope Sarah isn't too shattered by this. I really want to see her finish this epic challenge. Pass on our best wishes.

Last Mike told us she headed back to the UK and will talk to her sponsors about getting a new boat.

Back
Top Bottom