What's new

Saiko JCRC Race - Nov 13

dgl2

Maximum Pace
Nov 3, 2007
I just signed up for JCRC / Japan Cup Series Saiko Race.

It will be my last year in C Class. If I do it again next year, I can try "O" class (50-59 yr olds), where the speeds required to get a podium finish tend to be ... slower.

Is anyone else planning on racing there this year? If so, I suggest you act quickly, since the slots seem to fill up very fast.

http://www.jcrc-net.jp/

Too bad this race is the next week after Hotaka, and that it conflicts with Okinawa, ... but it is still my favorite and only regular JCRC event.

I may rent the same accommodations as last year -- over on the North shore of Kawaguchi-ko -- extra room available if anyone is interested in sharing.

There are S. A. B and other classes all in O. The average speeds may be sometimes slower but you have to be a damn good rider to beat them.
One of my super fast friends went into O from A. He comes second a lot....but he is a very very fast rider in all types of races.
Good luck in Saiko.

I'm signed up for B class, but may need to pass on my entry to someone else because of my back injury.

I'm mighty tempted to try for the famous Ryusei Saiko switch. If somebody wants to pick up my Ryusei hillclimb registration, I would be more than happy to compete in Saiko instead of poor Ludwig.

I'm signed up for X class. This will be my first JCRC race so I'm a little nervous. I was trying to find a good way to get there but it looks like kawaguchiko station is the closest station. I have decided to go the day before and stay over night. Does anyone have some advice on preparation for the race?

I will be staying near the north shore of Kawaguchi-ko at oishi. A place called Sakuya Guesthouse http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Guesthouse-Sakuya/Mount-Fuji/44248
I plan on doing a bit of practice on the course the day before the race if you want to meet up there?

Eric for your practice do about 3 laps of the course but spend at least an hour going slowly up and down the last 1.5km and remember every tree, sign post, turn off, leaf, bug, twig... and you'll have a lot of confidence at the crucial part of the race... Good luck! You want to train as much as you can for the next week or so as well...

I'm signed up for X class. This will be my first JCRC race so I'm a little nervous. I was trying to find a good way to get there but it looks like kawaguchiko station is the closest station. I have decided to go the day before and stay over night. Does anyone have some advice on preparation for the race?

Eric, seeing you hang with the roadies on your fixed gear for 150k and more than 3000m climbing, I am sure you will do well. As said before, do a good, but slow recon of the course to see the chokepoints, attack angles for curves, signs to judge the distance to the goal, etc.

Apart from that, just take it very slow the week before the event. X-Class is not very long, but that should make it important to have your batteries fully charged to go anaerob for the longest part.

Eric, seeing you hang with the roadies on your fixed gear for 150k and more than 3000m climbing, I am sure you will do well. As said before, do a good, but slow recon of the course to see the chokepoints, attack angles for curves, signs to judge the distance to the goal, etc.

That was Patrick, I was on of the roadies. Lol, I ended up bailing at okutama. But thank you and thank you Phil for the great advice. I will be doing so morning training and also a 4 hour enduro as part of my prep.

If I remember correctly getting pushed to the right side was how most people got pushed to the back of the peleton on this course, is that correct? Do you think it wise to attack on the climb on the last lap? X class will only be doing 2 laps.

Gunj is totally on this. For your initiation races get your HR up and ready to launch before the race. Then follow my old coach (Saronni's Protoge) advise:

1) First through the first corner.
2) First through the last.

This will clear you from the mayhem and set you up for the final sprint. You NEVER wanna be midpack on a novice race. If you puke out staying at the front - so what. It's fine. Just get your self at close to 100% right from the start and modulate within the first couple riders. If you get burned - hang onto a wheel and don't give it up.

Keep your head up in the turns and down in the straights. Hold a solid line and don't waver about it. Use your voice - yell out your intentions to clear a line and also to get anyone around you to do their fair share or move their out of the way. Racing is as much a social sport as it is physical.

If you make it this far - then set yourself for the last corner on the inside line and sprint like a mofo being chased by the cops.

Typically this is suicide strategy - but again, for novice racing, there is no strategy - just survival of the fastest. So - make yourself the fastest.

You'll get trapped on the left side....ok for the first lap.
I like to stay on the right as that's where anybody moving up to the front comes from. You can follow them and get free delivery to the front.
Plenty of room to the right...gutter to the left. Most of the peleton sits to the left of the center line of the road except when going through the bends. Make sure nobody cuts you off on right hand bends....let the wheel moving across your front know you are there with a big....Oiiiii!

That was Patrick, I was on of the roadies. Lol, I ended up bailing at okutama. But thank you and thank you Phil for the great advice. I will be doing so morning training and also a 4 hour enduro as part of my prep.

If I remember correctly getting pushed to the right side was how most people got pushed to the back of the peleton on this course, is that correct? Do you think it wise to attack on the climb on the last lap? X class will only be doing 2 laps.

Oops, mixed that up - sorry. Advice still holds true though.

I don't know how far the climb is from the goal exactly, but wager that you won't feel able to put a big enough gap on everybody to carry it to the goal. If you have any reserves left in the tank, stay with the fastest riders and try to sprint for the win once they start to or within the last 100-200m

Attacking on the last (tiny hill) (2km to go) after the hard left hand turn on the last lap may split the field. All you will do is help somebody else win here by attacking. The hard part of the hill is only about 100m then it tapers off a lot and almost zero as you get closer to the finish line.

It's a small hill but it can push you over the limit with your heart rate if you go hard here.
What I'd do is get near the front before the turn...let everybody else attack or go hard on the hill... I'd just take it easy and draft as best as possible trying to keep my heart rate as low as possible. Not let too many people pass me but not panic either. You only need to attack like Gunjira said.... where it counts. Just before the finish line. Let everybody else do the hard work and stupid meaningless attacks. Use their energy. Save yours.

Saiko Accommodations

I've now booked the cottage for Saiko -- in Oishi on the N. shore of Kawaguchiko.

Ludwig is out, due to his back problems, and has graciously given his ticket to Gunjira.

If anyone needs accommodations -- the place is nice and can easily fit a third or fourth person.

I can confirm - both that I'm out, and that the cottage is very nice. It's also a nice ride from there to the start, along the shore of the lake with very impressive red leaf colours.

Ludwig, even more than thanks, I hope for an improvement of your back. I'll try to represent you well.

So I have been waiting and waiting for the JCRC to send me the race schedule and guidelines. Does anyone have them on file? I don't even know when the x class race begins. I'm not holding my breath on the JCRC getting me info on time.

entry envelope

I got my envelope in the mail today. Has the entry heat, cap color and number listed, but as James/Far East notes, that and much more info are already on the website. Worthless ... unless you really like the enclosed advertisement for "bioblend" bio-based lubricants.

One important piece of info I did see -- registration is from 1400 to 1900 on Saturday -- ends later than I had remembered.

I just got the envelope but it doesnt have anything in it except the registration times/instructions and a map of the course and that little advertisement. The envelope has the color and heat info, so should I bring this with me to the race?

Back
Top Bottom