What's new

Safe Transport by Plane?

Almost Tokyo

Speeding Up
Oct 28, 2009
Any advice on how to package a bike safely and inexpensively for transport by plane? Thanks.

Many airlines charge you as much as $200 each way (delta), generally non-negotiable. Even I you have no other checked luggage... Go figure. Last I remember, JAL didnt charge anything.
Also, whether it is a small box where you have to remove both wheels or a big one where you remove neither, the charge is the same in my experience.

Otherwise: easy and cheap. Go to a bike store, ask for an old bike box. (alternatively, in a rush, you can tape together random boxes, though I don't recommend it)

Remove petals, front wheel, seat post and handle bars.
Deflate wheels. Put everything in the box.

Good to go.

If you want to be more careful, wrap frame in bubble wrap or plastic bags + clothing. Replace skewer on front fork to protect. zip tie or secure things in place. Google 'boxing a bike' for greater detail.

Also, travel insurance that covers flying with sporting equipment is not a bad idea. Some credit cards automatically give you insurance when you buy a ticket on them.

How carefully you box your bike depends on how much you care about the paint job and the material of the bike. I spend hours in my carbon Six but less than 30 min in my steel commuter (now ready for Tokyo streets and kusatsu).

Two times I've brought bikes back from Canada I just did what Kori suggests; use the cardboard bike box they came in. No problems so far (limited sample size, obviously :))

kori..
Phil..

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Yeah, the oversize baggage fee doesn't seem fair. Hopefully they will give me a break, but not counting on it.

Still, I bet it is cheaper than selling you current bike and then buying a new bike in Japan :D

Wiggle delivered my new bike in two big boxes all the way from the UK for 12,500 yen, that is from their shop to my door.

Back
Top Bottom