What's new

Official Ride Sado Longride (26th TCC Tour)

GO! TCC in Sado!

So who have we got so far?

Charles (Chazzer),
Lee (Richy152),
Ben (baustin),
Steve (SteveT)
Sergey (kpykc)

As well as:
"Alan", (and his friends) - Try to catch up with each other on the boat, eh!

---------------

Just a little advice for yiz all...
Don't know if I'm qualified, but here is a summary of what I would do, if I were in the same predicament.....

1. Start off really slow!
The main challenge here is the "distance". Anyone can ride FAST for short stretches, but over a really long-haul ride keeping that speed is near impossible.
At first, a whole lot of people (riders) may go past you, but they are already "burning themselves out". LET THEM!

2. Split the race into quarters!
Don't think "200"!
THINK "50 + 50 + 50 + 50"
Your first "50" is your warm-up! I would expect you all to be riding together for the first 50km at around (or under) 25km/h. Then, when you hit that first 50km-mark, have a "group discussion" between you about 'who can pick it up a bit more'.
*Note: After only 50km, you will ALL feel that you can go faster!
So, pick up the pace... BUT not too much! An extra 3-4km/h ought to do it for the second 50km - ie. 28-29km/h.

3. The HALFWAY point:
IF you are all going to split up, and decide to "ride your own race", DON'T do it until you've passed the half-way mark! After you all have over 100km under the belt, you will all know exactly what is in store for you on the last half of the race.
This is where you should all make your move!
DON'T make it a sudden "sprint"; just pick up the pace gradually to what you (individually) feel comfortable with.

4. This is where you will have your come-back over all the idiots who rode past you in the first "50" - I guarantee you, 90% of those fools will be "dying in the legs", and they will now be giving you a whole lot of additional motivation!
They probably laughed at you 80+km earlier, but now it's your turn to laugh - pick a guy up ahead who is slowing down - don't change your cadence or riding style! You WILL go past him, and there won't be a thing he can do about it!
He might sit on your wheel for 300m - 1km, but eventually, he won't be able to keep up.

5. EAT! I shouldn't even need to say this, but... you know!

Long story short;
Go REALLY easy for the first half, and then give it everything for the last half!
Hope this makes sense & doesn't sound too wimpy!

Good luck to all you Guys!
Make TCC proud, eh!
Travis

Ganbare!

Looks like fine in Sado Island today.
Looking forward to hearing good results of all TCC members!

Ganbare!

finished!

Hi! That was a fun ride, wasn't it, with such nice weather... Congratulations to everyone who rode. Does anyone know if they will give out results at any time? I don't remember getting anything last year.

Great event !

Full report to follow !

All home safe and sound if a little weary !!

As far as I know there are no results as it is not a race, just an elongated fun ride.

Charles aka chazzer

Memories . . .

This photo brings back memories of rides around Sado. Christoph and I did this climb twice and I did it again during the Sado triathlon. It's the climb that zig zags up the cliff face at the northern end of the island I think. The next left turn takes you through a small tunnel. The top of the island is beautiful.

www.tokyocycle.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2697

Well done guys - looks like you had a great time (and weather).

Cheers,

Philip

I was just checking the Sado-longride homepage which suggests that the completion rate for Course A was 94.6%, or 1,473 full completions. Only 80 people retiring is really very good, especially considering the speed that some people were going at. Completion has increased from 76.9% in 2007, but this can probably be explained by the weather.

http://www.sado-longride.com/index.html

Many congrats guys on completing that ride! Really enjoyed Richy152's pictures. too. Think this was my favorite of the landscape shots:

I now want to take the bike there more than ever...

Official Report - accept no substitute ! Part One

Full report to follow !

All home safe and sound if a little weary !!

As far as I know there are no results as it is not a race, just an elongated fun ride.

Charles aka chazzer

:bike::bike::bike:

Pardon readers for this unacceptably tardy report, a full week after crossing the finish line in glory !

The four musketeers - Richy152, SteveT, kpykc and yours truly chazzer - gathered at Tokyo station last Saturday, ready for action and full of, er.....heightened anticipation. Even though we had two GPS units between us and, in SteveT, a man who had travelled single-handedly on his bike across the entire Eurasian caucus, we still managed to get lost in Tokyo station and could not rendezvous !

After a lot of bellowing into keitai`s and general kerfuffle we managed to find each other and set off on the shinkansen for Niigata. It turned out to be the final act of navigational shenanigans.....thankfully !

I had ridden nervously to Tokyo station knowing that I had a split in the sidewall of my tyre and having not had the time to replace it since last weekend`s Tokyo Century Ride. Luckily it held out and I made plans to change both tyres and tubes ready for the big one the next day.

The journey passed swiftly with beautiful views on the Southern Alps and still some snow around on distant peaks.

We were not sure about the stretch between Nigata Eki and the ferry terminal. Heaven knows why ! It could not have been simpler ! Straight out of the station, onto a bus and 10 minutes later we were in the jetfoil station picking up our tickets. All of this courtesy of Lee (Richy152), who had thoughtfully prepared the tickets in advance.

The jetfoil is a lot, lot quicker than the ferry and definitely recommended. We were cruising at 80km/hr all the way. I was idly thinking that this was 10km faster than I had even been on my bike and I needed to improve on that. As Sado came into view I was reminded of countless trips to the Greek islands many years ago. It is a beautiful coastline for sure, perhaps not having quite the same depth of colour of the Iliad`s "wine dark seas", but spectacular neverthless.

It was odd to see so few cyclists around. We had expected a lot more. It was only when we disembarked that we began to see many more. Soon we were at the quayside and reassembling to make the, hopefully, short journey to the hotel. Again, Lee had done all the homework and knew the rough location. In truth there is not much that can go wrong as there is only one road through the interior. Taking it slowly we were there in about fifteen minutes.

Now, this hotel was interesting. Owned by an ex sumo wrestler apparently and a real wedding special ! The view from the room over the rice fields and then onwards toward the seaweed cultivation was amazing. To me it looked like a distant armada of ships skulking in the mist offshore waiting to invade. But then again everything looks like that when I have forgotten my glasses.:D

Now the logistical questions began and so the pressure gradually ratcheted up. We were 15km from the start and apparently, at first glance, had only another 30 minutes to get registered. Panic ! And two tyres to change for yours truly !!

A second reading of the instructions seemed to suggest that registering on the day of the race was OK. Phew.....but the 15kms ride before the race started would still be there. Surely there was a better plan ?

The woman at the front was only too kind and helpful. Incidentally, not only on this occasion, but throughout our time on Sado, it was amazing that almost everyone tried to open up in E ! A little different to Tokyo I think !!

She arranged a car to pick us up at 4:30 am to take us to the start and, again with her help, we figured out that it was possible to leave our bikes and gear overnight at the start line. So, we were sorted out now.

All that remained was for me to change my tyres and then we were ready to go to the start and leave our stuff, grab a taxi and be back for dinner at 7 30.

New Conti 4000`s proved quite a struggle to get on to the rims, which surprised me, but many hands make light work and, after initially wrecking one new tube due to careless pinching, we were ready to go.

The 15kms were pretty uneventful, apart from a combini stop where we bought up half the shop and the woman presented us with a bunch of bananas for free which struck us all as a really kind gesture. Again, hard to imagine this in Tokyo !

We were joined by another rider who knew the way to the start and so we tagged along. It was already way past registration however this did not seem to be a problem at all for the young team of helpers keen to practice their E and neither did my stupid forgetfulness in leaving the papers at home ! Soon we were all equipped with our numbers etc etc. Lee and Sergey were getting a couple of annoying clicks sorted out at the mechanical tent and I was meeting up with my neighbour who was running the Scott concession. Lee was especially favoured as he was on his Scott so we came away with a couple of Saunier Duval caps gratis !

All seemed to working smoothly now until we came to the storage facility. It seems that we had missed the required moshikomishou and would not be allowed to use the facility which was closing in five minutes ! Panic !!

Back to the start and there we found our helpful helpers who quickly filled in the necessary forms, rush back to the storage facility, actually a school gym, and all was well again. Phew......

Taxi back to the hotel, yukatta on, beers, atsukan !! Onsen including rotemburo....such painstaking and careful preparation. The food was great, Sado sashimi is famous, as is the crab, and all was excellent. I managed to gradually persuade Sergey that atsukan was good stuff and that I had never had a hangover drinking it so it was as pure as you could get. He seemed to be pleased with this revelation, as did the others, we just about managed to keep it all under control and set the alarm for four am with lights out around eleven pm :warau:

No breakfast ! So breakfast on the way in the taxi, thanks to the combini the previous evening, and then with the beautiful first light creeping across the landscape, we were there at the start. It was chilly !

Enthusiastic types already queuing to be first away. We were a little more leisurely and took our time. What`s the rush after all ?

Official Report - accept no substitute ! Part Two

Cool it was at daybreak and little clue around us to the best strategy. Should it be full on summer kit or winter longs or somewhere in between ? The full range was on show. Mindful of the forecast and the desire to be light, light , light I elected for summer kit plus arm warmers.

The rest of the kit was stashed in the larger saddle bag purchased for the occasion including all spares, pump, tubes, oxygen tent and sutures. Nurse !!

And, on the top tube, as per reco from Deej, the tube top bag containing keitai, bars, gels and easy to absorb EPO patches.

Feeling exposed, but confident in the company around me, the four musketeers reached the point of no return and we were off. What a relief to be moving at last.

With the wise words of Travis` advice ringing in our ears we immediately began to hammer like maniacs in the early morning balm. It was beautiful, dreamlike and effortless, beguiling and, well, easy !

In a flash it seemed we were at the first aid station. The only rule we had made was that we would stop at every aid station and wait and regroup. Unfortunately not everyone had a keitai with them so we would potentially need to make retrack decisions at each aid station in case there was a no-show.

I had decided to concentrate on sports drinks (CCD) plus gels and bars so forgoing the rice balls which seemed so popular at the aid stations. I had read bad things about too much carb loading whilst riding. An occasional banana but that was it it for me.

Off again in short order and soon we had met up with a small team who seemed to share our pace and we were able to run together over the next two aid stations. Swapping the lead and sharing the work. This was a great phase for us, working hard, but well within ourselves. Fast, rushing through tunnels and enjoying the sensation of the work. Hard to concentrate on the scenery, more on the rider in front and being ready to do your share.

We realised that we were going well. I had set my GPS to only display HR and cadence since this is all I really care about but someone said we were averaging over 30km/hr which was exciting !

Now it was time for the first serious climbs at the 70km+ point. Sergey was off the front and gone, Steve not far behind. I put my head down and span my way up a long, but beautiful, climb with stunning views. Part of me wanted to stop and take some photos, but the rider inside refused to relent. I am not a climber by any means but I passed a great many riders and only one went by me. Clearly a great testament to the TCC ride regime over the winter and spring ! I was pretty pleased with that !!

The lunch aid station at 120km dispensed a very good obento and at this point we realised that we could take it easy and rest in the sun for a while. Using water bottles as pillows, we laid down with our legs in the warm sun and heads in the shade of the building and grabbed a good 20-20mins of ambrosiac sleep.

There was a price to be paid in the lethargic start to the remainder of the race. The first 10kms were really slow. I lost the others and joined a slightly faster moving team called Tokyo McDonut or something. At first I thought they would pull me along and across to the others but their pace, initially quick, soon faded and I pulled clear on my own. I began to up the pace, but still very comfortable. After thirty minutes or so I could see Sergey`s white shirt again and we were re-united.

Once again we were hammering and passing everything. A familiar pattern seemed to develop where riders once passed, made up time by being quicker at the aid station, only for us to pass them again soon after. We all commented on how we were able to keep momentum coming off fast descents by staying in a higher (harder) gear and pushing up the next incline, rather than selecting easier gears as others seemed to do too quickly.

We knew we had some hard work before and after the last aid station at 180km. That said, the short but really vicious little 15% climb was a real shock. Most of the field were off and walking, but not the four musketeers who stayed aboard and pushed for the top. It was a very, very tough little climb and really tested whether there was anything left in the legs at all. Sergey was gone again !

We met up at the last aid station and compared notes. Everyone ready for the last push over two long but moderate climbs of 7-8%.

This was endurance but no more than that, we knew we had it beat and over the top we went. From there it was a cruise to the finish.

I was with Steve and managed to persuade him to be my lead out man. With 50ms to go I came out of his draft and sprinted like a maniac for the line. What a feeling :D

Steve - many thanks - you made my day :D:D

The statistics

Ride time 7hrs 16mins
Distance 213.7km
Total climb 1664m (surprisingly)
Average speed 29.4km/hr - damn !!
Max speed 67.9km
Avg cadence 76.5
Max gradient 15.5%

For me, the ride was long but always in the comfort zone. Only 7% of the time in Zone 4 which is anaerobic, with 58% in Zones 2 and 3 which are aerobic, the rest below that. That is not to say that it should be underestimated. We had perfect conditions. On another day, more wind, perhaps rain, and it would have been very tough indeed.

All told, we reckon, including the event costs, it worked out at 7 man per head which is not too bad considering we had two nights in a very good hotel and generally no expense spared.

To my fellow Musketeers - thanks for joining this event, a great time was had by all, we all finished, no one fell off, no one had a punc and no one got arrested which means we did TCC proud.

Lets do this again next year with a bigger crowd and the TCC jerseys and break the 30km/hr average !!

Charles aka chazzer

Awesome Effort Guys!

First & foremost...
>Chazzer: That was a great report Charles! I'm sure everyone else was waiting on it as well! 29.4km/h over 210km is definitely more than respectable!
BTW; I'm glad you chose not to take my advice!;)

>Richy152: Lee, it looks like your arrangement of transport - train & jet-foil - as well as your choice of accommodation were tip-top! Kudos for the superb organization! ... Not to mention your great ride!

>kpykc: Sergey, it looks like you were the man to beat when it started going "up-hill"! Even Thomas is getting scared of you these days - as soon as you get a lighter bike, no-one will want to ride with you anymore:eek:

>SteveT: Finally, it sounds like you weren't too much of a 'slouch', yourself!
How was our favourite "Purple-Beast" handling on the up-hills?

Seriously, to all involved: That was a great effort by everyone!
Look forward to hearing the "intricate" details from each of you when we next meet.
As Deej would say,,, "Awesomeness Dudes!"
Hope to see you soon!
Travis

Thanks for the great report Charles. Yeah, those climbs just seemed so easy after those murderous TCC Travis-engineered rides, and it was just amazing to be overtaking bunches & bunches of people whenever the road curved upwards ! The 1664m elevation gain is a real surprise though (I thought it'd be only a few hundred metres).

Well highlights for me was doing this trip in a such a genial and good-humoured group (we'd all acquired Charles's impressive, if slightly worrying, "Atsukan" habit by Sunday night), the stunning coastal views on the climbs, and overtaking the same riders after each aid station. The downsides: I'll never drink another sports drink in my life, and if I see another bleedin' banana, jeez, ...

I think we all had our own unique tips to get us through the Long Ride: Charles' was a controlled intake of carbs, Lee's was the ol' band-aid on the nipples, I wore two pairs of cycling shorts, and Sergey's was, well, just his damned youth and strength !

Brilliant - can't wait till next year.

Cheers
Steve

PS. I will admit: when Charles asked me to be his lead man I had no idea what he meant (need to study this racing vocabulary some more). So it was quite a shock to see him suddenly burst out and cross the finish line right in in front of me ...:confused:

Hey, Sado warriors, looks like cyclingtime.com has published a photo report on Sado (http://www.cyclingtime.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?num=10&cid=2275)

I've browsed through some of their albums and found couple of TCC photos - featuring some action shots at the finish line and chazzer's amazing sakura jersey :)

http://www.cyclingtime.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=89281
http://www.cyclingtime.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=89391
http://www.cyclingtime.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=89399
http://www.cyclingtime.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=89397
http://www.cyclingtime.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=89398

There might be more, but they have more than 1000 pictures, did not look through all of them.

Mmmm.... That was a great ride! Really hope to try it again next year.

Thanks Sergey - ah, good memories !

Do let us know when you finish reviewing all 1000 of them .... :D

Back
Top Bottom