What's new

Saddle Trade Thread

BTW, if anyone has an Arione laying around that they are not using, I have a Selle Italia Flite Gel w/cutout that I would be happy to trade or workout some other arrangement.

BTW, I'm not sure the relatively small holes that some of the manufacturers offer on some of their models (e.g. Selle Italia) make much of a difference. I couldn't really feel it when I tried it out. Selle SMP is a different world - it's not a hole but a wide gap from one end to the other. It forces you to sit on your bones (which is initially a bit painful) and not your prostate or other parts in the middle of your bottom. Those with a hole in the middle don't achieve that.

I haven't ridden one, but just by looks alone I would have to agree that the Selle SMP is a completely different animal. And if I were to go that route, it would definitely be at the top of my list!

FWI

Y's in shinjuku's policy seems to currently be: you can test a fiziks saddle on the day until closing. Ichi-man deposit and ID.

If anyone is in the Fujisawa area, last year there was a small shop near the station that let you test ride a fiziks for a weekend.

I have a spare Fizik Antares laying around. I'm sold on the Aliante for my current riding - though switch to the Antares for higher spin (little more clearance) less absorbtion loss - in other words - short, hard rides I prefer the Antares. But for longer, mashing rides I prefer the Aliente. I tried the Arione but could get a good match to my sit bones. Guess that being raised on a Concor just made me 'that way'.

Selle SMP!

Selle SMP is a different world - it's not a hole but a wide gap from one end to the other.

A world of awesomeness for your booty!:p
When I first got one (on Ludwig's recommendation), it was sooo soft & comfy - like sitting on a big cushy sofa - my average speed dropped about 4km/h... At least until my tush re-adjusted.
The Selle SLR, is much harder, but considerably lighter, so that goes on for races & mountain rides.

BTW, if anyone has an Arione laying around that they are not using, I have a Selle Italia Flite Gel w/cutout that I would be happy to trade or workout some other arrangement.

I might be interested in buying this....unless you want to trade it for a nice looking all black Fizik Antares.

Another idea would be to arrange a saddle swap meet. Everyone brings what they want to trade and just take it from there.
Could do it at my place if there is enough interest.

Selle SMP is a different world - it's not a hole but a wide gap from one end to the other. It forces you to sit on your bones (which is initially a bit painful) and not your prostate or other parts in the middle of your bottom. Those with a hole in the middle don't achieve that.

I have one of these. Really it's very good. I was having all sorts of problems last year due to numb nuts and some related consequences; since I got this seat and changed by tights I've had no problems there at all.

This thing looks like a "medieval torture device", according to some, but it's the bee's knees for sure and has kept me on the road.

new2011-01.jpg

Agree! Do you have the same saddle as in the photo, i.e. no padding? I have the Glider on both my road and cyclocross bike, and they are on the verge of being too hard for me. But the models with more padding get wider and heavier, which is not great either.

No padding Ludwig???? That baby is the full on Carbon model.... the padding isn't let within a 50km radius of that saddle just incase of cross contamination.:D

Understand you don't need padding, but my bum is just too slim :p to have much buffering between bones and saddle. Actually, this is worse for SMP saddles because the surface is smaller and the pressure on the bones higher.

Yes, I have this model - though it's the one with the steel rails (they could have at least made them titanium) not the full carbon railed one as pictured.

I find this saddle really comfortable, though I do have good padding in my shorts, have a bit more meat, and I run shorter distances than you (I very rarely go over 150km max in one day recently).

Leather Hammocks

I tried all kinds of saddles, but nothing worked until I got a Brooks. I found a Titanium Swallow for half price... which was still too stupidly expensive to let my wife know what I paid. Wicked comfortable though.

After going thru these saddles:

Prologo Nago
Came with my bike. Shape is good but a bit too narrow for me at 130mm. Feels ok up to around 80km.

Fizik Antares
Similar to the Prologo but less comfortable for me.

Flite gel flow
Traded the Fizik for this. Felt different but added a few uncomfortable pressure points....not any better compared to the Prologo.

Specialized Avatar team 143mm
I just bought this one. Tried it on the 165km ride on saturday and it is by far the most comfortable saddle yet.
Makes a big difference when riding along the river....the more continuous type of riding that have left my ass very sore is now ok :D

I'm looking for a lightweight saddle (200gr max) and will trade a new carbon saddle (95gr) for it.

1) Fizik's won't fit - except maybe the Aliante. That's the only one I tried and was pretty ok.
2) Same with Selle Italia SLR. Have one of those - it gives me hip pain.
3) Not sure about the SMP. I need this for a stage race and multi-position is very important.
4) Intersted in the Mantra or Zoncolan or similar. I have a fairly narrow 'Q' factor and prefer saddles that slope a bit on the side.

My carbon saddle fits almost perfectly. In fact I'd use this if I don't find something similar that has a little padding.

Trades?? Ideas?

Tim, I've got a Zoncolan with carbon rails you can try if you like. on yesterday's ride either i was sitting on it wrong or it was crap for the flat ride up the arakawa, but it was great once we hit the hills. very comfortable up any of the grades we did on the green line and plenty of room up front for pedaling at high cadence on the descents.

If you like it i think we can work something out where you can keep it.

Zoncolan was one of my 'to try' choices. Would love to give it a spin. I can get alot of different saddles - and actually the Bike Gear stuff looks interesting, too - but I really need to ride it out for about 100km to know. Though, I can tell within 10km if it's a 'no go'.

Tim, I've got a Zoncolan with carbon rails you can try if you like. on yesterday's ride either i was sitting on it wrong or it was crap for the flat ride up the arakawa, but it was great once we hit the hills. very comfortable up any of the grades we did on the green line and plenty of room up front for pedaling at high cadence on the descents.

If you like it i think we can work something out where you can keep it.

Back
Top Bottom